Natural Ladies Is This Okay For Bunning and Twistouts?

JC-Junkie

Sorry ladies, this is a stupid question and may have been asked before. But I don't know how to bun :( I was thinking to wash my hair in like 8 twists and then allow it to airdry to about 80 - 90 % and then use my fingers to slick it into a bun, but I'm not sure if it will work because it might not look neat and the hair underneath won't be slick might stick out. I want to be able to have a slick bun you know ?

Also on twistouts, I tried to do some and it turned out awful !!!!! Like really bad :( So is this okay to do :
to wash my hair in 8 twists so it stretches it out, and then when it's about 80 % dry I will flat twist my hair then release my hair. But i was wondering can i still be able to do a twistout and keep some of my natural curls as well ?

Hopefully some of you ladies can help me, once again I apoligize if these questions have been asked before.

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!

Question about your twist outs... are u using a product to actually "hold" your hair? for me personally.. I can't use a product that will not provide hold...like a styling gel or something...if I try to use anything else it ends up a fluffy mess. I assume that your letting them dry completely... if not that could be the issue as well.

And for the Bun... sounds like a good plan..just smooth over some gel or a good pomade..and tie it down with a scarf while u get ready for your day..once u take it off it should be slick

I use a soft brush & eco styler gel to get my hair smooth. Some women also tie a scarf around their head to lay the hairs down better.

Sorry ladies, this is a stupid question and may have been asked before. But I don't know how to bun :( I was thinking to wash my hair in like 8 twists and then allow it to airdry to about 80 - 90 % and then use my fingers to slick it into a bun, but I'm not sure if it will work because it might not look neat and the hair underneath won't be slick might stick out. I want to be able to have a slick bun you know ?

Also on twistouts, I tried to do some and it turned out awful !!!!! Like really bad :( So is this okay to do :
to wash my hair in 8 twists so it stretches it out, and then when it's about 80 % dry I will flat twist my hair then release my hair. But i was wondering can i still be able to do a twistout and keep some of my natural curls as well ?

Hopefully some of you ladies can help me, once again I apoligize if these questions have been asked before.

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!

IMO it will be easier to bun while your hair is wet, add your moisturiser and seal then slick your hair down bun and use the scarf method (tie your hair down with a scarf).

I have never done buns but I do puffs, and I don't ever have a problem with sleeking my hair back. I just comb it back in a backward direction so the strands are stretched out and not bunched up underneath the top ones. Then I use the elastic thingy and put over my head and stretch the back of the elastic at the nape so that it is snugly against my head then I use my fingers to slide it back as I pull the crossed over part tighter. When I get it to where I want it, I lift the extra elastic beyond the twist/cross over the puff to lay it over itself. My hair is always flat.

This was done on damp hair straight after a wash with S Curl on it:
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

This was done on dry hair that had been plaited for the night and baggied with S Curl on it:
4BAfroPuff-vi.jpg

This was done on stretched dry hair with conditioner and coconut on it:
October2008Puff-vi.jpg

So if I were doing a bun, I think I'd make a pony the same way and then work on the bun.

I don't really do twist-outs so I'll let the pros address the process of getting good twist-outs. But on the question of having a twist-out and keeping your curls, that's kinda tricky. The point of twist-outs is to give your hair uniform waves...which may look like stretched out curls...but I don't think can mimic natural curls. So I'm not sure what you're trying to do. You can probably get close to making them look alike by doing twists that form curves with the same circumference as your own coils--but if you want your own curls, why bother with twists? Why not where you hair as is?

When I've done a twist-out after weeks of wearing the twists, my hair looks like locks but the ends look like my own coils...which I think sort of defeats the purpose of having the twist-outs since the uniform waves do not extend to the ends of my twists. This isn't a good example coz I wet my hair after taking the twists out (Don't ask :dork: ) so the waves puffed up. But I post it to show you how the ends always look:
TwistOutFlopSept2008-vi.jpg

Thank you ladies !!! Sorry my response was late. I think the reason my twitout came out bad was because I did some large twists which meant that the roots did not get twisted and so came out puffy :yep: So next time I'll do some flat twists instead. I was thinking to do my buns on wet hair but I was afraid that it would get tangled again.

BTW lovely hair Nonie

So if you are bunning on wet hair how do you prevent the tangles while doing your bun ?

Thank you ladies !!! Sorry my response was late. I think the reason my twitout came out bad was because I did some large twists which meant that the roots did not get twisted and so came out puffy :yep: So next time I'll do some flat twists instead. I was thinking to do my buns on wet hair but I was afraid that it would get tangled again.

BTW lovely hair Nonie

So if you are bunning on wet hair how do you prevent the tangles while doing your bun ?

I either do a bun with wet, detangled hair and use a brush & gel to smooth the front OR I straighten my hair with a flatiron, then bun. If it's a curly bun you're looking for it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I would do your twist out with smaller twists. I know when I first started styling my hair, I saw a tutorial and it said to do like 8-10 twists. This did not work for my hair at the time, because of the length and also the thickness. I don't know how long your hair is, but this might be a factor. I also like to smooth my hair out with my Denman before twisting each section.

For the bun, in order to get "sleeker" edges and make it easier to get it back, I would do it while wet. I hate wet bunning though because my hair stays wet forever.

Back