My semi-natural hair hates the blowdryer. Does yours?

yodie

I'm transitioning back to natural. My hair is not at it's healthiest point right now and I can't wear the wash and go styles. I need heat, in some form. I'm wearing a half wig (Wig Challenge 2008) for the rest of this year.

Went out today and purchased the Remington Tourmaline blowdryer. I also ordered a universal comb attachment (GREAT PRODUCT) from Folica.com.

I tried to blowdry my hair with phytodefrisant and Chi Silk Infusion. I love Chi. I'm not sure if the phytodefrisant helped, but my roots were pretty straight.

Problem is, even with a tourmaline blowdryer, my hair feels like straw when I blowdry.

Do any other naturals have this problem?

I hated the feel of my hair so much so that I rinsed it again, set it and now I'm sitting under the dryer. This is for drying purposes only, not style.

Any ideas, solutions, feedback?

Would you return the blowdryer, stick to roller sets and then just buy a great flat iron and use that to get your hair straight?

OR​

Would you ignore the straw-like feeling, blowdry anyway and proceed to flat iron?​

I'm in the same predicament. I'm 19 wks post and transitioning. I've got about 1.5 inches of NG, 2 in some places. I've learned to:

- use a LOT of detangler (I use Mane N' Tail)
- spritz my hair with water (mixed with a bit of HE Break's Over & Lacio Lacio)
- section my hair and blowdry a little at a time
- use the LOW setting (it takes me about an hour to blowdry, but my hair thanks me)
- hold the hair up and let the natural tension straighten it while you run the blowdryer across it (I use a comb attachment to get to those 4A curls I got, smh.)
- when you flat iron hold it at the NG for a sec or two, then slide it down the length of your hair

I've tried rollersetting, I think I just need practice. LOL. Also, that CHI Silk Infusion locks moisture out of your hair, so whatever is in there better be good because nothing else is going to get in there. I think maybe you should look into adding some moisture to your blowdrying. Maybe use a bottle of water to spritz. Or try a leave-in mist, like Dove Replenishing Mist. Or try blowdrying on a lower setting. My hair seems to retain more moisture when I dry on low.

HTH. :yep:

Last edited:
I'm in the same predicament. I'm 19 wks post and transitioning. I've got about 1.5 inches of NG, 2 in some places. I've learned to:

- use a LOT of detangler (I use Mane N' Tail)
- spritz my hair with water (mixed with a bit of HE Break's Over & Lacio Lacio)
- section my hair and blowdry a little at a time
- use the LOW setting (it takes me about an hour to blowdry, but my hair thanks me)
- hold the hair up and let the natural tension straighten it while you run the blowdryer across it (I use a comb attachment to get to those 4A curls I got, smh.)
- when you flat iron hold it at the NG for a sec or two, then slide it down the length of your hair

I've tried rollersetting, I think I just need practice. LOL. Also, that CHI Silk Infusion locks moisture out of your hair, so whatever is in there better be good because nothing else is going to get in there. I think maybe you should look into adding some moisture to your blowdrying. Maybe use a bottle of water to spritz. Or try a leave-in mist, like Dove Replenishing Mist. Or try blowdrying on a lower setting. My hair seems to retain more moisture when I dry on low.

HTH. :yep:

You mention the products that I normally use.

I love Dove Moisture/Replenishing Mist. I'm out of it right now. (Dang).

I also use Mane and Tail to detangle, but today I didn't need anything to detangle. I washed with the Shikaki, Amla and some other oil, bar and my hair really liked it.

Used a leave in, etc.

I'll take your tips on blowdrying. Thanks.

The rollerset just feels sooo much better. Of course I have to flat iron after that, (didn't today) but it definitely outweighs the blowdryer.

P.S. That Chi makes my new growth feel like pudding!!

No, my natural hair never feels like straw after blowdrying... it feels soft. After washing, deep conditioning, and detangling, I use got2be crazysleek blowdry lotion on my hair with a little bit of grease, and then I blowdry my hair in sections with an Ion ceramic blowdryer on HIGH heat and with a comb attachment.

I'm in the same boat. No matter what products I use, my hair always comes out more moist and shiney if I air dry or use some form of dome dryer. I purchased the T3 Evolution dryer and it's fantastic... as long as I'm using it on someone else's head :ohwell:. I think it has to do with my ability to control the dryer *cant find a comb that fits* and stretch my hair w/out over drying in spots... but I dont know.

I'm not much help, but the only think I can to add is, if your going to flat iron anyway... you can save time by drying in ponytails or plaits. In addition, though i havent 'really' done it, alot of natural ladies seem to have good results w/steam treatments.

I'm not sure why my hair feels like this.

Tourmaline is supposed to leave my hair moist, but it sure didn't feel like that today.

rollersetting my natural hair pulls the roots straight.

Not sure if I should return the dryer ($35) & use my old one.

Back