My new protective style for the rest of my transition. YARN BRAIDS!!!

ZkittyKurls

I decided to give weaves a rest for now, mainly because im lazy. i was tired of having to style it and comb it etc. so i decided to do yarn braids. this way i will be able to gtto my scalp whenever i want and it will last for a while. it took me 20 hrs in two days. i used red heart yarn and the colors i used were black and burgundy. i did two strand method in the front and three strand method in the back...now that i look at it. i should have done three strand all around. i barely parted my hair because its so daggon thick that i just took piece of hair and braided it. next time i think i will make the parts bigger because its ALOT of braids. but i love it. istill have to finish burning the ends cause im tired of doing hari, but other than that its completed!! here are some pics of the braids as well as my hair before i put them in...i am currently 60 weeks into my transition!...dont laugh at my mushroomhead.:grin:

Attachments

• yarn braids.jpg
    yarn braids.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 21284987047_ORIG.jpg
    21284987047_ORIG.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 21284987034_ORIG.jpg
    21284987034_ORIG.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 21284987028_ORIG.jpg
    21284987028_ORIG.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 21284987017_ORIG.jpg
    21284987017_ORIG.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 94
here are some more pics

Attachments

• 21284987002_ORIG.jpg
    21284987002_ORIG.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 21284986995_ORIG.jpg
    21284986995_ORIG.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 21284986989_ORIG.jpg
    21284986989_ORIG.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 89
  • 21284986980_ORIG.jpg
    21284986980_ORIG.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 21284986971_ORIG.jpg
    21284986971_ORIG.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 90
I will be doing some in a few weeks myself, 20hrs??? have you braided before? i do my own individuals with regular braid hair and I think it take like 8-10 hours

yea i have but not individuals like this...and i didnt really make specific parts so i basically just took hair and braided. instead of making the parts a little bigger. next time it wont be as much tho. lol

No matter what yarn braids TAKE FOREVER doing them yourself. Even doing them on someone else take a while. I mean between prepping the hair and the actual braiding yarn braids are no easy task. Great job OP though they look real nice. I put brown in mines the last time I did them.

They look great! I have two questions...

1.) Are they hot in the summer?
2.) Why did you do 3 strands in the back? I've seen people do that (3 strands in the back and 2 in the front) and I'm not sure of the difference.

to me they are not hot, but then again you can always put them up off your neck. i usually leave them down and they havent been bothering me as far as heat wise. the three strand is slighty bigger in size but not by much and you can get through the back quicker. people see more of the front and sides more than anything. but next time i will do three strand method all over next time. because when i compared the two different methods you can not tell the difference at all. HTH

no as long as you keep your hair mositurized your hair will be fine. i usually spray it with a non cream based moisturizing spray with a little bit of oil in it and spray the braid where my hair is..from root to the end of my hair and its fine. the yarn soaks up the moisture but it stays in the fabric and just transfers to your hair. if that makes sense

I really like it. I just put yarn twists in my head last weekend. It has kind of a kinky twists look. Even with twisting, insteading braiding, which I've done before, they still took a long time, but not quite as long. I did the twists mainly b/c I wanted the takedown to be easier and quicker than the braids. I'm very torn about which I would do next time. I think although i like the ease of the twists more but I like the look of the braids more and how they like more like locs.

How long do you plan on keeping yours in? I'm going to try to make it a month, but we'll see how that goes. I start to miss my own hair so quickly.

YAY.. yours looks amazing... i got my done too... on the 3rd of July.. How did you get the braid so snug on right by the root...Planning to keep mine until the end of August or mid september...

I really like it. I just put yarn twists in my head last weekend. It has kind of a kinky twists look. Even with twisting, insteading braiding, which I've done before, they still took a long time, but not quite as long. I did the twists mainly b/c I wanted the takedown to be easier and quicker than the braids. I'm very torn about which I would do next time. I think although i like the ease of the twists more but I like the look of the braids more and how they like more like locs.

How long do you plan on keeping yours in? I'm going to try to make it a month, but we'll see how that goes. I start to miss my own hair so quickly.

you wouldnt happen to have a pic of what they look like? do you just twist the yarn sall the way down and it doesnt unravel? thats why i didnt do twists, cause of fear of unraveling. i am not looking forward to the takedown, however, i will be keeping them in for 10 weeks and redo the edges every four weeks, so when i finally take them down, i will be looking forward to taking them out. lol i am transitioning and as u saw my pics of my hair, doing it on a daily basis...to me looks like a task, even though i cant wait to be fully natural, that stuff is soo thick so i like to keep it in weaves or braids 2 to 3 months at a time. the longer the PS is in, the more of a surprise i get with my new growth when i take it out. sorry for being long winded.

YAY.. yours looks amazing... i got my done too... on the 3rd of July.. How did you get the braid so snug on right by the root...Planning to keep mine until the end of August or mid september...

LMBO! snugg is an understatement. of course the yarn wont be slipping due to the courseness of my hair but its not tight at all, it was my first time so i was scared to do it tight, but i see now that my doing it tight is nowhere near as tight as when i get it done at an african braiding salon. i didnt really do pristine parts so it looks like ive had these in for about two weeks, which it doesnt bother me either because it looks like locs, and locs can be allowed a little fuzziness at the roots. lol im keeping mine in til the 3rd week of sept

I decided to give weaves a rest for now, mainly because im lazy. i was tired of having to style it and comb it etc. so i decided to do yarn braids. this way i will be able to gtto my scalp whenever i want and it will last for a while. it took me 20 hrs in two days. i used red heart yarn and the colors i used were black and burgundy. i did two strand method in the front and three strand method in the back...now that i look at it. i should have done three strand all around. i barely parted my hair because its so daggon thick that i just took piece of hair and braided it. next time i think i will make the parts bigger because its ALOT of braids. but i love it. istill have to finish burning the ends cause im tired of doing hari, but other than that its completed!! here are some pics of the braids as well as my hair before i put them in...i am currently 60 weeks into my transition!...dont laugh at my mushroomhead.:grin:

Good job. I like the red highlights.

I will be doing some in a few weeks myself, 20hrs??? have you braided before? i do my own individuals with regular braid hair and I think it take like 8-10 hours

You're fast but some of us are a lot slower. I've been doing my own hair ... for a long time and I'm not fast. There is no way I'd be done in just 8-10 hours (it'd be nice though). I never do any of this in one session but I can see it taking 20+ total hours.

you wouldnt happen to have a pic of what they look like? do you just twist the yarn sall the way down and it doesnt unravel? thats why i didnt do twists, cause of fear of unraveling. i am not looking forward to the takedown, however, i will be keeping them in for 10 weeks and redo the edges every four weeks, so when i finally take them down, i will be looking forward to taking them out. lol i am transitioning and as u saw my pics of my hair, doing it on a daily basis...to me looks like a task, even though i cant wait to be fully natural, that stuff is soo thick so i like to keep it in weaves or braids 2 to 3 months at a time. the longer the PS is in, the more of a surprise i get with my new growth when i take it out. sorry for being long winded.

Check out this yarn twist method.
http://public.fotki.com/Delushious/how_tos/how-to-put-an-end-t/

Back