My hair hates protein!

pazyamor

I've tried it at all: heavy proteins like Aphogee, light proteins like KeraCare, but without fail, after every protein conditioning, my hair feels dry, brittle, and just plain gross!!!! I even conditioned with my honey/conditioner mix after this time and my hair still felt like if I touched it too hard it would snap off. What can I do? I know my hair needs protein, but it seems to hate it so much. Can I sneak it in? or does anybody else find that their hair does better without protein? Can my hair live without protein added in?:ohwell:

HoneyDew

Why don't you try a light one, on your dry hair before shampooing and deep conditioning. And only one it once a month and be sure none of your other products have protein.

Mimi22

The stylist I recently visited gave me a solid lecture on protein vs moisture. He said sometimes an individual might think they need protein and over do it, adding to a damaged head of hair. In these cases, he said use moisture to combat the problem with treatments and conditioning cremes. Hope that helps!

glamazon386

Too much protein will cause you problems. I would lay off it and get a product into your regimen that has a light protein. That should be enough. Have you tried an ORS pak?

newflowers

Before I joined, I was clueless about protein; it was my nemesis - I needed it but did not know how to use it properly. Since that time, I started using silk and wheat proteins - my hair is strong and happy. Maybe if you try a different type of protein?

pazyamor

I have tried light proteins, but they have the same effect, but I may have to try different forms of protein. Do you know of any products with silk and whey proteins? Like a good deep conditioner or moisturizer?

RosesBlack

I have a similar problem. It's gotten better because I pretreat and go heavy with the moisture for a few days before and then super heavy afterwards.

Also I started oil rinsing recently and that helped immensely.

When you use protein do you prepoo at all? Maybe try a deep conditioning pre poo or oil treatment then try a mild protein. Then more DC/oil treatment. HTH.

HoneyDew

The stylist I recently visited gave me a solid lecture on protein vs moisture. He said sometimes an individual might think they need protein and over do it, adding to a damaged head of hair. In these cases, he said use moisture to combat the problem with treatments and conditioning cremes. Hope that helps!

I think this is the case with my hair. There are times when my hair starts breaking and when I apply a good moisturizer to my ends and roll it up for the night or use Carusos - breakage stops! in those cases, protein would have made it worse!

prospurr4

My hair doesn't seem to need much protein. The only time I use it is when I texlax, every 8-10 weeks. If I overdo the moisturizing, which is rare, then I use Motions CPR Protein Treatment for 10-15 minutes, then follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

pazyamor

I have a similar problem. It's gotten better because I pretreat and go heavy with the moisture for a few days before and then super heavy afterwards.

Also I started oil rinsing recently and that helped immensely.

When you use protein do you prepoo at all? Maybe try a deep conditioning pre poo or oil treatment then try a mild protein. Then more DC/oil treatment. HTH.

I always do a very heavy oil rinse and preepoo before every shampoo I do, which is once a week, and I DC every time I trun my darn head, I stay walking around with a plastic cap! So I don't know if I'm lacking moisture...well, I don't think I'm lacking moisture.

glamazon386

I have tried light proteins, but they have the same effect, but I may have to try different forms of protein. Do you know of any products with silk and whey proteins? Like a good deep conditioner or moisturizer?

How about you just lay off the protein for a while? If you hair has too much protein and it's causing problems, you probably shouldn't add anymore at all.

gymfreak336

How about you just lay off the protein for a while? If you hair has too much protein and it's causing problems, you probably shouldn't add anymore at all.

^^^What she said

I fought breakage all last year and it turned out to be from too much protein. Even after I moved down to light proteins, I still was having problems. Lay off the protein completely. Keep doing the moisture only thing until you notice signs of being overmoisturized. Then you can do protein as needed. I had to do this and stop having preschelduled protein sessions.

glamazon386

^^^What she said

I fought breakage all last year and it turned out to be from too much protein. Even after I moved down to light proteins, I still was having problems. Lay off the protein completely. Keep doing the moisture only thing until you notice signs of being overmoisturized. Then you can do protein as needed. I had to do this and stop having preschelduled protein sessions.

There ya go, OP. :up: Once your hair gets the right balance, you probably will only need to do the protein every once in a while.

kbfluff

I'm not an expert on this, but I'm afraid to use Aphogee and stronger proteins on my fine 4b/a strands. I like to use Surge 14 spray which has protein in it.
I usually wash my hair, condition it, rinse, detangle then spray the Surge 14 before I blow dry.
Surge 14 is my friend and i think that besides eating proteins like tuna and my met rx protein bars that is the only protien i will be using.
So....maybe u should ingest more proteins instead of putting them ON ur hair.