my curl definition experiment on nappy hair with pics

tkj25

here are pics of my curl definition test. i did three experiments.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tkj25/album/576460762401101089

if this link doesn't work, you can use this one:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tkj25/album/

it's the folder titled "curl defenition experiment"

my hair is kinky, curly, nappy, frizzy, 4a hair. i love it :lol: i also love experimenting with it to see what it can do. i used to think that afro type 4a/b hair couldn't show curl definition. but through my own experiments and from seeing numerous heads of hair on this board, i know our hair is truly versatile, and can show curl definition with the right product & technique. it's not curl definition in the "traditional sense" but in a new aesthetic. i call them curlyclumps :lol: i've yet to do my whole head with this technique, but it's good to know that i can add this to my arsenal of twists, braids, fros and the like. i didn't have a fresh batch of flax seed gel made, so i just used what products i had on hand. i plan on doing one more experiment with flax in the near future. i also learned through this that i don' t need to slathered the product on, just enough to coat and smooth the section, otherwise it'll dry flaky.

experiment 1:

1. spray hair. make 1 in. square section of hair. detangle
2. slather hair with aussie moist & aloe vera gel. smooth through to ends
3. air dry, (should see curlyclumps of hair, curly tendrils)
4. when completely dry finger style/separate clumps or leave as is

experiment 2:

2. slather hair with aussie moist & potion no. 9. smooth through to ends
3. air dry with metal clip securing base flat,
(should see curlyclumps of hair, curly tendrils)

experiment 3:

2. slather hair with garnier fructis curl & shine conditioner and garnier
fructis soft curl cream. smooth through to ends
3. coil hair at base & secure with metal clip to air dry ,
(should see curlyclumps of hair, curly tendrils)

I did this same kind of experiment in february with aloe vera gel, garnier fructis curl n shine (leave in and curl cream) and BB Happy Nappy styles.

Your pictures are way better than mine good work. :)

Neat experiment and great results! Maybe your curls will motivate me to work on my own. It would be nice to have curls as a style option.

Thats really cool! Ure hair came out GREAT, and i loved the step by step tutorial! Thanks for that!!! ;)

I wish my hair was natural so i could try! :)

tkj25 said:
thanks you all! :) i think i'm leaning towards the third one.

Yeah the 3rd one looks really good. You did a great job. I'm going to experiment tomorrow I think.

ETA: Ya'll quit flirting with this man:lol:.

Awww how cool!!!
I think you're curls came out great!They're so pretty!
I def. will keep experimenting with mine too.
You're right mine are a bit more defined then yours but they are the same size as yours:)

OOH OOH OOH I am LOVING your album, just had to duck out of it for a moment to tell ya that, LOL :).....BEAUTIFUL, LONG, & THICK hair!!! OK.... on my way back to stalking ya album!! :)

tkj25, your hair texture looks similar to mine! by the way, you are a handsome young man! :)

Back