Lye relaxers

RUBY

Has anybody used any of these Lye relaxers? If so, what strength and what was the results?
Elasta QP lye relaxer
Clairol Texture and Tones lye relaxer
Lady Velvet lye relaxer

Hi Ruby,

I have used the Elasta QP lye relaxer in mild. I really liked it. In my opinion it is a very mild relaxer, so avoiding underprocessed hair might be a little tricky. I would rank it behind Affirm mild lye and Revlon Realistic Lye Mild (If I could not find affirm and I had to buy one out of the beauty supply store, this would be it).

I tried Tones and Textures No-lye back when Aaliyah was the spokesperson, my hair looked good for about 2 weeks and then it started to feel and look really dry. I've never tried the Lye version.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have used the Elasta QP lye relaxer in mild. I really liked it. In my opinion it is a very mild relaxer, so avoiding underprocessed hair might be a little tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! I really liked the price and it was relatively gentle on my dry scalp (I too used the mild, but then later used the regularly on the thickest parts of my hair while using the mild on the not-as-coarse parts of my hair).

I would recommend the elasta, and would probably use it again.

Thanks myco. If I used the Elasta QP mild do you think I could just leave it on the thicker parts of my hair for longer? Because I have fine textured 4b hair and I've kind of decided to apply it myself at home, so I want something that will work slowly becuase I'm not sure how long it will take me apply it. I saw the Revlon realistic lye relaxer in the store, how do you rate it. When I saw the texture and tones lye relaxer I liked the list of ingredient plus because its designed for colored hair I was thinking that it will be more gentle.

tc 333,
How did you find the Elasta QP lye regular work on your hair compared to the mild? Did it work much faster? Do you think that you could have gotten the same results with the mild if you had left in on you thicker parts of you hair for longer? How did your scalp feel after a few days?
Sorry for all the questions but I really need help deciding which relaxer to use after taking my braids out.

RUBY said:
Thanks myco. If I used the Elasta QP mild do you think I could just leave it on the thicker parts of my hair for longer? Because I have fine textured 4b hair and I've kind of decided to apply it myself at home, so I want something that will work slowly becuase I'm not sure how long it will take me apply it. I saw the Revlon realistic lye relaxer in the store, how do you rate it. When I saw the texture and tones lye relaxer I liked the list of ingredient plus because its designed for colored hair I was thinking that it will be more gentle.

[/ QUOTE ]

the revlon Realistic gets a big
up.gif
from me. I used it yesterday in the regular strength and it did not burn me. Towards the end (15min), Istarted feeling some tingling. This was my fault cause I didn't base the scalp at all and I just washed it the night prior. So I was wide open for burns. I also added some olive oil to it, so this could've helped a little too.

Don't touch the clariol textures and tones with a ten foot pole. It made my hair dry and hard. I threw out the rest of the tub.

Revlon Realistic gets a big
up.gif
from me too.

I've only based my scalp once or twice in the 20+ years I've been relaxing my hair with various relaxers.

tc 333,
How did you find the Elasta QP lye regular work on your hair compared to the mild? Did it work much faster? Do you think that you could have gotten the same results with the mild if you had left in on you thicker parts of you hair for longer? How did your scalp feel after a few days?
Sorry for all the questions but I really need help deciding which relaxer to use after taking my braids out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have been troubled by a flaky, dry sore scalp for several years now. In an effort to try to get this tender area to heal, I have cut back to the mild formula. Because of this sensitivity, I do not allow myself to leave the relaxer on for more than 15 minutes, from start to wash. (I aim for the 13 minutes suggested, and then allow the last 2 minutes to get down to the kitchen sink, smoothing all the while, and then getting the water temperature just right!).

I think that would work. You might want to start on those sections first, that way the less resistant hair won't be compromised. I remember reading something that said the amount of relaxer that you apply affects processing as well. Between waiting 10-12 weeks for a touch-up and having thick hair, I had to buy two kits of the Revlon Realistic so I wouldn't be scraping the sides of the jar struggling to finish the front of my hair. That's actually the main reason I tried Elasta. I got tired of ending up with two bottles of everything when I only needed more relaxer. If the sizes of the Revlon in the box were larger, I would prefer that over Elasta QP. The Shampoo for Relaxed hair by Elasta is a staple of mine though.

Thanks Armyqt, I'm definitely going to take a another look at the Revlon Realistic as it has two good reviews.
Thanks Dionne for steering me away from the Textures and Tones. Don't want it jacking up my hair anymore than it is already! Any idea why it made you hair dry?

Arent there two revlon realistics. the one in the box and the one in the tub. the one in the tub is a white tub with black letters. i was looking at that for the longest when i heard the reviews but then i found out from curly that she uses the one in the grey box. which i saw and passed so many times cause i thought it was something different. what is in that box??? if you are getting a touchup at a salon would you still need to buy the box?????
confused.gif
God bless you all.

I've used both. It's just that I purchased the one in the box in a drug store and the one in the tub in a beauty supply store. The shampoo has to be purchased separately when buying the relaxer in the tub. Actually, I don't buy the large tub. I just buy a jar, which is 15 oz, I think. The kit contains 8 oz of relaxer in the jar. I don't buy anything larger than that because I think it would sit around too long and possibly be ineffective. I use the kit most often.

I have no idea why my hair was soo dry. I also forgot to mention that it burn like
censored.gif
and I based my scalp the night before with grease.

Back