Ladies your advice please! Specifially ACV rinse advice?? (LOOONG Post)

gdivant

Another girl with breakage probs in search of ACV advice…well any advice.

I’ve done a couple searches & found mentions of ACV rinse & porosity. As well as Sistaslick’s article. I conducted the tests & my strands have failed 2 out of 3. I want to perform an ACV rinse tonight - ordering a porosity conditioners might be option in the future but they aren’t sold in my market. Any specific ACV tips – should I over dilute? Do I have to shampoo 1st or can I do a co-wash and ACV? Is the ACV always the last step? What if I get tangles? Should I DC afterwards?

I’m relaxed & take vitamins, internally nothing’s changed. I’m still tweaking my regi & products, but since all the threads I researched included a regi here we go. *Deep breath*

Co-wash 3-4 week – exercise & sweat heavily 4-5/wk – face sometimes has white crystalline particles (salt). Might try to cut back to 2-3 now that its colder. (trying Nexxus Humct., WEN, Hairveda Moist Cond. 24/7, NTM DDC, mixing stuff have not struck gold yet)

DC 2x week for 1-3 hours, might throw in 20 mins with heat.(trying ORS replen pak if hair feels slightly mushy (I actually achieved supermoist a few times!), Elasta QP remoisturizer 11 something w/EVOO mixed, Pantene Hair Mask, Hairveda DC Not sure what works best) Uhm & others I’ve forgotten – generally good results. Best slip with Pantene & sea salt – yea Kiya Fizzie!

Did a baggy trail for a few weeks – my hair did not like that – lil hairs in the baggy. :wallbash:

ALWAYS moisturize & seal. :yep: Water & NTM Leave in sometimes a lil Nexxus as a leave in. Lacio Lacio when hair wasn’t breaking. Recently tried Hairveda Moist Cond 24/7 a few times a leave in. Seal w/EVOO & Castor oil. Recently switched to sealing with HV Vatika Frost. Mizani every 2nd or 3rd night.

Was a MT & rinse girl – shelved that in the last 2 weeks to try to control all this breakage.

No heat, no styles just baby buns for the last 2 months. Noticing how more hairs don’t quite reach bun lately due to breakage. :nono:

Last week I did a DC #1 w/1 tbsp Vatika Frosting, several scoops Elasta QP & a few splashes EVOO for a few hours 30 mins w/heat. My hair was shiny, strong & tangled. The breating & snapping returned. DC#2 back to Pantene Hair mask.

Breakage never stopped, but it had slowed down. I was the girl with hairs on her shirt, on her desk, in the car, hairs snapping & floating outta her head when the wind blew. :blush: After joining the forum it really really slowed. I actually counted the hairs y’all. It went down to 20s and even into the teens even (before last week’s DC experiment) now it’s ridiculous – back too many to count. Maybe the weather change has something to do with this too. Also trying to keep hands outta my head.

Sorry so long! Any advice or links are welcome. Thanks ladies!!!

Do you think it could be the brand of your relaxer? Which one are you using? I know when i was using affirm no-lye, it didnt matter how much deep conditioning i used...breakage city. I had to switch and slowly cut the affirm relaxed hair out. It was a painful inch by inch process, but it worked ( I am a relaxed head btw).

Do you think it could be the brand of your relaxer? Which one are you using? I know when i was using affirm no-lye, it didnt matter how much deep conditioning i used...breakage city. I had to switch and slowly cut the affirm relaxed hair out. It was a painful inch by inch process, but it worked ( I am a relaxed head btw).

Possibly. Before my (great) stylist quit she told me to request Affirm - I've been floating looking for a good stylist ever since. I used to get my hair done every single week but that didn't help.

Last relaxer I switched to Mizani Butter Blend w/Lye for my last relaxer cycle - however, the newest stylist worked slooowly so I was under processed.

However, I'm willing to cut! Thanks for the advice.

There are ladies who work out during the week who can better asses your reggie. Please let them weigh in.
You were doing MT and just stopped. Many of us apply just to just the scalp.
BUMPING so somebody can help you.

I'm working on porosity issues too, my individual hairs are rough to the touch. The first time I did one I used way too much ACV, I would suggest just using like a capful to a half a gallon or more of water if you're gonna do that. As for the breakage, if your hair is porous like mine you probably have a hard time getting moisture into it, so it just breaks off. ACV rinses are supposed to help with that, you could also try Cassia or a porosity conditioner like Roux Porosity Control. However, I'm not sure if the Cassia works yet, I've only used it one time.

Thanks ladies!!!

I'll probably bump periodically for more replies.

I'm convinced that the ACV is the 1st step. I just dumped a bunch of my broke hairs from this a.m. in the sink and 3/4 immediately sunk to the bottom. A few are floating in the sink bowl. The last time I did this test the strands did not shrink. I just don't wanna mess my hair up even further with tangles...

To update (and bump!)

The ACV has worked wonders. Before using it I had tons of broken hairs from finger combing my hair into a bun! :( Which lead to this long frustrated post. Now I've only seen a couple. I mixed about 6 tbps with an entire gallon of water. I later re-did the water test & only a few sunk partially.

I purchased Roux Porosity Control - many thanks for that tip. I bought the shampoo & conditioner. The ingredients of the 'poo are full of sulfates. I searched a little bit but didn't see specifics on using or not using the 'poo. I'm thinking of mixing it with a moisturizing 'poo once a month & near relaxers???

Suggestions are welcome. TIA!

ACV is good as a hair clarifier/cuticle sealer, but it's a bit smelly for me :nono:. Lemon juice works the same way and it smells pleasant. I usually mix about 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice in about a half gallon to a gallon of water and do a final rinse with it. I now pretty much just take ACV as a supplement.

Glad to hear it! I use the roux con straight once a week. Before my DC, just put it in and run it thru with my fingers and rinse it out. Keeps a good PH. You will really like it. Great slip.

Back