Just a quick question about the quality of water hitting our hair and skin

Showerhead and/or faucet filter, do you:

• Currently have one (what are the noticeable benefits?)

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Had one, but stopped changing the filters (did you notice a difference from tap water?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never had one, and won't get one

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Plan on getting one

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
I just brought this same filter from Home Depot. I decided that I will NEVER go without a filter again. A small purchase makes a huge difference. It's only been a week, but I'm sure I'll notice the difference within the months to come.

I feel the same way about mine. Before I actually bought it, I was in the shower smelling the water (if that's even possible:grin:). I did smell a faint hint of chlorine in the steam. Now the smell is gone. So when I use the faucet in the kitchen , The smell of chlorine is even stronger. When I tell you ladies that my skin is not nearly as dry as it use to be. I'm still surprised when I look at my skin.

Taking a shower is an essential step to everyone’s morning routine. However what one might not realize is the dangers that are literally pouring out on the body through the shower head. Because of the way water is chemically treated ,it can cause serious health problems as well as beauty disasters. Our water today is causing our bodies to age before their time.
How shower filters benefit health

Chlorine is often used to purify water for drinking and bathing. However, chlorine is very dangerous to health. Some of the health problems chlorine can cause are: cell damage, heart disease, bladder and breast cancers, hardening of arteries, respiratory complications, complications with asthma and bronchitis, and irritation to the nose and throat.
Also, a shower filter can help increase energy. Chlorine is a leading cause of fatigue. Using a shower filter can increase energy levels as well as help prevent major health problems.
How does chlorine cause these serious health problems?
Without getting too technical, 50% of exposure to chlorine happens in the shower. Part is done through the skin absorbing the chemical and the other is by inhaling the vapors released through a hot shower. The heat from a hot shower releases the chlorine vapors and can contaminate the lungs.
How shower filters benefit beauty

A shower filter will also help enhance one's natural beauty. Not only is chlorine incredibly damaging to the internal parts of the body, it is also as damaging to the outside of the body. Chlorine can cause the skin to become dry and damaged. Damaged skin can cause aging and wrinkles, lose its natural moisture, and can cause skin rashes. The use of a shower filter can prevent the need for expensive moisturizers and lotions
Chlorine will also dry hair out. By using a shower filter hair will stay more moisturized, prevent static electricity, prevent split-ends, and color in color-treated hair will last longer.
After using a shower filter in a matter of days it is easy to notice the difference it makes in hair and skin. Hair will become shinier, more manageable and sometimes the hair will begin to “heal” itself from the damage that chlorine had caused prior. The skin will have a natural glow as well as be less dry. Elasticity to the skin may begin to return that was one loss because of the drying effect chlorine can have.

Read more: "Benefits of Shower Head Filters: Increase Health and Beauty By Installing Filters in the Shower" - http://beauty-products.suite101.com/article.cfm/shower_filters#ixzz09s2jBoeL

Thanks a bunch for this info.

For those of you who are using the "Sprite" Filter, I have these questions:

1. Did you purchase it directly from the Home Depot Store or Online?
  2. What Model Did you get? (Model Number)
  3. Do you know the difference between the "High Output" and the "Royale?"

Thanks!!

I have a filter and i dont know about my hair but i have eczema and usually my skin itches really bad after i take a shower. Since i got the filter my skin doesn't itch anymore, really rarely and my skin doesnt look dry and scaly anymore so i guess its got to be good for my hair too but i cant tell if its the filter thats working or my good hair care practices cause i started both things around the same time.

I have a filter and i dont know about my hair but i have eczema and usually my skin itches really bad after i take a shower. Since i got the filter my skin doesn't itch anymore, really rarely and my skin doesnt look dry and scaly anymore so i guess its got to be good for my hair too but i cant tell if its the filter thats working or my good hair care practices cause i started both things around the same time.

i have been wanting to get one for that very reason. i have it real bad and since i have been living here, i haven't been able to get it under control. i am going to buy one tomorrow. i wish i could get one for the tub for my kids.

:grin:
For those of you who are using the "Sprite" Filter, I have these questions:

1. Did you purchase it directly from the Home Depot Store or Online?
  2. What Model Did you get? (Model Number)
  3. Do you know the difference between the "High Output" and the "Royale?"
Thanks!!
1. I bought it directly from Home Depot
2. I don't know exactly, because I threw it in the trash, but it the only one in the store at that time. I think there's more of a variety in the store.
3. Again IDK (not much help huh?), but shouldn't Home Depot have a customer service number that you could call for more expertise on the shower heads.

Awhile back it was posted the sprite filter works better than the aquasana.

Really? I just saw this post....I just ordered the Aquasana. Do you remember why they said the Sprite works better?? I thought the Aquasana was 1st with Sprite coming in 2nd :ohwell:

Really? I just saw this post....I just ordered the Aquasana. Do you remember why they said the Sprite works better?? I thought the Aquasana was 1st with Sprite coming in 2nd :ohwell:

I too would like to know this b/c I plan to order the Aquasana w/ the handheld attachment based on comparison reviews .... off to do more research :spinning:

I too would like to know this b/c I plan to order the Aquasana w/ the handheld attachment based on comparison reviews .... off to do more research :spinning:

hmmm... seems like the biggest differences between the Aquasana and the Sprite are the
PRICES & FILTER LIFE ... According to the manufacturers,

Filter Life:
Aquasana (2 models) 6 months
Sprite (various models) 3-6 months

Price:
Aquasana (2 models) $60-$84
Sprite (various models) $30-60

Replacement Filter:
Aquasana $42
Sprite $20

Miscellaneous:
Aquasana - no need to backwash the filter every month to extend the life of the filter ... handheld attachment not as tall as others
Sprite - suggestion to backwash filter every month to extend the life of the filter ... tall handheld attachments (need 10" free space above your shower head)

*** So of course according to the manufacturer's details I want the Aquasana ... BUT... I have noticed that some websites claim that the Aquasana does not live up to the manufacturer's claims and actually only removes 38% of the chlorine whereas the Sprite removes 99% ... then other sites claim the Aquasana is the best one based on the above "facts".... so I don't know who to believe and I am not naive enough to think that some of these sites are not simply spreading propaganda against the competition even though they come across as independent reviews .. so I dunno :spinning:

I noticed a lot of you are using the Sprite models ...

Is anyone currently using the Aquasana or have experience using both the Sprite & Aquasana???

I LOVE the Aquasana. I could immediately feel a difference in my hair. I know when the filter needs to be changed because I can tell it in how my skin and hair feel, although they recommend changing the filter every 6 months.

The only downside is the $50 replacement twice a year but I consider it an investment.

I LOVE the Aquasana. I could immediately feel a difference in my hair. I know when the filter needs to be changed because I can tell it in how my skin and hair feel, although they recommend changing the filter every 6 months.

The only downside is the $50 replacement twice a year but I consider it an investment.

Hey Shaley ...

When do you usually have to replace your filter for the Aquasana based on how your hair/skin feels?

Is it BEFORE the 6 month mark?

Also how many people in your house use this particular bathroom to shower daily?

I ask b/c they say the filter will last 6 months if only 1-2 people use this bathroom but will last 4-6 months if 3 or more people are using it daily.....

Thanks in advance :)

Hey Shaley ...

When do you usually have to replace your filter for the Aquasana based on how your hair/skin feels?

Is it BEFORE the 6 month mark?

Also how many people in your house use this particular bathroom to shower daily?

I ask b/c they say the filter will last 6 months if only 1-2 people use this bathroom but will last 4-6 months if 3 or more people are using it daily.....

Thanks in advance :)

Its only me & my cousin and she's there only a few times a month due to business travel.

The last two times I've replaced it was at the 8 or 9 month mark because I would forget to replace it at the 6 month mark. My hair would start to feel different at about the 8 month mark.

The times my cousin is there more frequently my hair starts to feel different at the 6 month mark. which is obviously due to more usage of the filter.

But I now have my calendar set to remind me every 6 months to replace the filter:yep:

Hope that helps..

I bought one because our water here in IL sucks. You can smell the chlorine, and see the copper and calcium build up on the shower/faucet and on the walls of the shower. Unfortunately, the filter didn't do much but fix the chlorine. I noticed a difference on my skin, but not my hair. The only way to get my hair to act "normal," is to use jugs of distilled water. That is, unless I want to shell out a ton of money for a water softener, and that's too much because I'm in an apartment building. :(

I guess the effectiveness of different filters, and whether or not a filter will be fine or if you need a water softener depends on the area and what is in the water content. Unfortunately, we've got it all up here.

I just washed my hair with the Sprite showerhead. And my hair and skin feel great. My skin in a concern because cancer has my skin very sensative. I have to be careful of any type of product I let touch my skin.

As for the hair washing:

1. The water felt softer.
2. My shampoo (Suave Coconut-one of my favs) lathered like crazy. Never
had this much lather before. I shampooed 2x. And after the 2nd rinse
my hair squeaked. Never did that before either.
3. I dried my hair just enough to stop the dripping. I applied myLacio/Lacio
and ORS Elastic & Tea. The comb glided thru my hair. I finished the
rest of my shower routime and braided my hair. Even my new growth is
flat.
4. When I do a comb out after my shower I usually have about a handful
of hair that rips out. I thought I just had rough hair. I'm natural. This
time I had hardly any breakage.

All these years I thought I had rough hair and that my comb out products could only work the way they did on my hair. It wasn't my hair or the products, it's this darn water. My comb out products now work like I thought they should but never did.

For me, this is a keeper.

Thanks, ladies!

I bought a Sprite shower filter (the one on the cord) earlier this year, and I LOVE IT. I recently moved in with my boyfriend, and the water in NC is horrible. I mean, he has a white shower curtain and the water turns it (and the tub) pinkish, so he has to bleach it about once or twice a month. We already don't drink the water, but I told him I'm still concerned about bathing in it, and of course washing my hair in it. I got a filter for the kitchen sink so we don't have to cook with it anymore, and I bought the Sprite showerhead today. I am hoping it helps.

I've had 2 aquasana and sprite. Sprite did nothing for houston water. Aquasana helps my hair not to feel so dry and my skin not to get stripped feeling but I still get kinda ashy

Back