Is there a 4a/3c support thread?

PinkPeony

Could someone direct me to it please?
If not type 4a/3c ladies please get in here...

What is your hair type?
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed?
Do you stretch your relaxer?
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use?
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have?
If you are natural for how long have you been natural?
How long was your transition
Are your strands thick/medium or fine?
What does your hair LOVE?
What is a no-no?
Do you have a album/journal?

Any special advice on those hairtypes?

Thanks in advance:yep:

Last edited:

Artemis

Dang, girl! You don't have have enough questions :lachen:

What is your hair type? 3c/4a and some unidentified random patch in the crown
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Relaxed
Do you stretch your relaxer? um, does 8-10 weeks count?
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Mizani Mild (considering moving up to Regular)
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I was natural for 4 yrs prior to relaxing again
How long was your transition? I transitioned for 6 months then BC'd then relaxed again, then transitioned for 2 months, then BC'd again (stayed natural for those aforementioned 4yrs after that)
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Fine strands/medium density
What does your hair LOVE? equal parts of protein and moisture
What is a no-no? wash-n-gos/airdrying (for now, plan to work on it, though)
Do you have a album/journal? see my siggy :)

PinkPeony

Dang, girl! You don't have have enough questions :lachen:

What is your hair type? 3c/4a and some unidentified random patch in the crown
Do you stretch your relaxer? um, does 8-10 weeks count?
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Mizani Mild (considering moving up to Regular)
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I was natural for 4 yrs prior to relaxing again
How long was your transition? I transitioned for 6 months then BC'd then relaxed again, then transitioned for 2 months, then BC'd again (stayed natural for those aforementioned 4yrs after that)
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Fine strands/medium density
What does your hair LOVE? equal parts of protein and moisture
What is a no-no? wash-n-gos/airdrying (for now, plan to work on it, though)
Do you have a album/journal? see my siggy :)

Thank you!
Not enough questions?
I can't tell if you're kidding b/c I thought about adding more questions....
I think I will:yep:

LovelyLionessa

What is your hair type? 3c
Do you stretch your relaxer? 10-12 weeks
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Silk Elements Lye Regular but for my next touch up I'm going to use ORS Lye Regular.
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? n/a
How long was your transition I transitioned for 6 months back in '05.
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Thick/medium
What does your hair LOVE? Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.
What is a no-no? Direct heat on my ends or combing airdried ends.
Do you have a album/journal? Yes in my siggy.

Artemis

Thank you!
Not enough questions?
I can't tell if you're kidding b/c I thought about adding more questions....
I think I will:yep:

LOL! I was, but now that I think a/b it, I think you should ask if any of the relaxed girls w/our hair type has issues during touch up time...Like some areas relax successfully w/a mild relaxer, and some would fare better w/regular. That can be an issue. Or if some sections of the head are drier than others due to random texture changes...Stuff like that :)

sareca

What is your hair type? 4a
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? texlaxed
Do you stretch your relaxer? yes
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Phyto II
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? yes, but i'm used to it
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? n/a
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? thick
What does your hair LOVE? oil pre-poo, low poo, cowashes, wash n go
What is a no-no? full strength poo is a no-no
Do you have a album/journal? yes (see siggy)
Any special advice on those hairtypes? listen to your hair and write down everything.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
You lovely ladies have helped me out today and now I'd like to share. I'm a 3C/4A lady checkin' in:

What is your hair type? 3C/4A with some mixture of 3B and 4C at the nape
Do you stretch your relaxer? Yes. I try for at least 12 weeks
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Mild for medium/fine hair
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? Yes. My crown and nape is more coarse than the rest
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I've been natural before, on and off. The longest time was for 3 years.
How long was your transition? I BC'd, each time cutting my hair off to 1/2 inch
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? I have fine, medium-thickness
What does your hair LOVE? Seems to love moisture but hates protein and grease
What is a no-no? Baggying, grease, harsh proteins unless severely damaged
Do you have a album/journal? No, but I need to step it up and create one; I'm so lazy:sad:
Any special advice on those hairtypes? Less is best. Find a simple regimen and stick to it :yep:

BrockStar

What is your hair type? 3c and 4a I believe
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Natural
Do you stretch your relaxer?n/a
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use?n/a
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have?No not really, Just work with what I've got..lol
If you are natural for how long have you been natural?Last perm was in October, I BC-ed in May
How long was your transition? 7 months, then I had to get rid of it!
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? I used to think thick, but now I think medium
What does your hair LOVE? Reg. Conditioner as a leave in and it like to be left alone:perplexed
What is a no-no? Hmmm...for me I'd say too much product...I've spent so much on really expensive stuff when all my hair wanted was pantene pro-v..lol
Do you have a album/journal? Yup...fotki in my siggy

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Lotsa moisturizing! Evoo for the softest hair possible

Empress Yahudah

What is your hair type? 3C 80%.. But I think I felt about 20% 4A strands in the back :laugh: im not sure yet.

Do you stretch your relaxer? Im transitioning now but I would go 10-12 weeks

What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? I used Elasta QP Mild Lye

Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have?
:scratchch hmmmm 3C and 4A arent a HUGE leap from each other to me.... now if I had a combo of very loose curled 3B and tightly coiled 4A then that might be something .. but I manage my hair just fine :)

If you are natural for how long have you been natural? Im transitioning now but but have been natural and relaxed on and off for years... Im wanting my hair natural again now

How long was your transition? Transitioning now 8 weeks post

Are your strands thick/medium or fine? My relaxed color treated strands were fine but now are med since ive been on my regimen..My natural part is med-thick, I have alot of strands

What does your hair LOVE? Silk Protiens in the ingredients, protein/moisture balance,cones,deep conditioning weekly :yep:
What is a no-no? anything in the Petroleum Family:badidea:, oil on my hair except for tiny bit of Jojoba oil .. with textured style i can deal with EVOO...

Do you have a album/journal? Fotki in siggy no psswrd needed :)

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Silk protiens kick frizzies and tangles in the butt :brucelee:
keep hair Moisturized... dont over do it on the products on ur hair, DETANGLE BEFORE WASHING :look: and use a good detangler.... when its hummid dont fight with ur hair :naughty: go for more textured styles:yep:

Last edited:

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
What is your hair type? 4a
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? NATURAL
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? I don't think I'll ever relax again
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? Stopped relaxing in Summer 2004 and BC'd in summer 2005
How long was your transition? I transitioned for about 13 months wearing braids. I never had a twa because I had lot of growth during that period
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? There are fine strands but I think they are mostly medium/thick
What does your hair LOVE? Suave Naturals conditioners, Pantene Relaxed & Natural, NTM, MTG, shea butter, frequent washes (every couple of days when my hair isn't in some kind of style), protective styles
What is a no-no? grease...yuck, most other projects excluding Pantene that are made "for" black ppl, gel, heat (I use it, but RARELY), essential oils
Do you have a album/journal? Yes but I have not been updating it much lately.....see profile

Any special advice on those hairtypes? If you are gonna use heat, use a heat protectant of some sort!!!! Also, the k-cutter is the best detangling comb I've ever used!!!

glamazon386

I don't think there is one but I fit in this category.

What is your hair type? 4a/3c... More 4a than 3c
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Natural
Do you stretch your relaxer? I'm natural but I did when I was relaxed
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? I used Mizani for fine hair
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? No
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? It will be a year Sept 21
How long was your transition? 5.5 Months
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Fine
What does your hair LOVE? Creamy Products
What is a no-no? Greases and Oils. They just make my hair a dry bushy mess.
Do you have a album/journal? Yes, I have a fotki. The link is in my profile.

janeemat

What is your hair type? 4a/b

Do you stretch your relaxer? 12-14 wks

What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Affirm No lye

Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? Not anymore. I have learned that my hair needs different products depending on my ng. My relaxers are done professionally.

Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Medium/fine

What does your hair LOVE? Moisture

What is a no-no? Wet bunning

Do you have a album/journal? Yes

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Stretch and moisturize

Kalani

What is your hair type? 3C...at least a majority of it
Relaxed/natural/texlaxed? relaxed
Do you stretch your relaxer? usually 3 months
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Phyto Index 2
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have?I did initially but have finally adapted for the most part
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? I would say medium to thick
What does your hair LOVE? At the moment it is loving everything Aveda (with a little Phyto on th side)
What is a no-no? neglecting the ends (gotta baby em)
Do you have an album/journal? have a small album that seriously needs updating....seriously! lol!

Last edited:

foxy kc

What is your hair type? 3c/4a

Do you stretch your relaxer?No

What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? SOft n Beautiful or Gentle treatment no-lye, regular strength

Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? No

If you are natural for how long have you been natural?n/a

How long was your transition n/a

Are your strands thick/medium or fine? I have a mis of fine and medium....no thick

What does your hair LOVE? serums, on wet or dry hair

What is a no-no? Blowdrying

Do you have a album/journal? Yes, in my siggy

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Find what works and stick to it.

curlilocs

What is your hair type?
3Cish
natural
n/a
n/a
n/a
2 years
4 months
medium-thick
water
What is a no-no?
I try to avoid products with petroleum and mineral oil, but I wouldn't say anything in particular is off limits
yes, in my siggy

Moisture. This hair type requires LOTS of moisture!

madamone

Yay! This is for me!

What is your hair type? 4a/3c...mostly 3c with 4a aound the sides and nape

Do you stretch your relaxer? Just completed my first stretch 22 weeks

What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? ORS No Lye

If you are natural for how long have you been natural? N/A

How long was your transition? N/A

Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Fine strands, thick density

What does your hair LOVE? Baggying, cowashes, moisture, Humectress, WGO

What is a no-no? Grease, direct heat

Do you have a album/journal? Not yet

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Moisturize, Moisturize, and watch the heat.

Ms Red

What is your hair type? 3c and 4a crown
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Natural! :afro:
Do you stretch your relaxer? My last relaxer was April 7, 2005. I BC'd June 30, 2007...so I had a 27 month stretch :grin: It gave me time to mentally get ready.
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? N/A
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? N/A. When I was relaxed I tried Affirm (too strong, lifeless hair) and Designers Essentials (my hair hated it)
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? Almost 2 months
How long was your transition 2 years, 3 months
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? I don't know. Between medium and thick.
What does your hair LOVE? Rich conditioners, Humectress, NTM Hair Masque and Pantene Breakage Defense Mask, not too much protein, water and moisture!!!
What is a no-no? Overload on protein
Do you have a album/journal? I'm creating my first fotki! ;)

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
What is your hair type?3B (10%) / 3C (50%) / 4A (40%)

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Transitioning from relaxed to natural

Do you stretch your relaxer? I used to stretch to 10-12 weeks when relaxed

What brand and strength of relaxer do you use?I used to use Design Essentials Mild Strength. Long ago, I used Affirm Super Strength, which is just straight crazy to me now that I know better.

Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? Not too bad right now

If you are natural for how long have you been natural? Not fully natural yet, but I'll probably be there in 2 years or so (I'm not doing the BC)

How long was your transition? I'm currently about 29 weeks post

Are your strands thick/medium or fine? My relaxed strands are thin with medium density; my natural strands were medium with thick density in the past, but we'll see if that still holds true.

What does your hair LOVE? The correct balance of moisture and protein makes all the difference in the world.

What is a no-no? Too much of either is baaaaaaaaad.

Do you have a album/journal?Yes (http://public.fotki.com/TaraDyan/2007-hair-journey--/ (password in profile)

Any special advice on those hairtypes? Yes, don't be afraid of a little castor oil on your ends (especially if you're transitioning). It may seem thick and syrup-like, but it really works to help thicken those fragile ends.

Missi

What is your hair type?
4a (back) / 3c (middle) 3b (front)

relaxed

12 wks

Motions: Salon Herbal (mild)

yes: its easier to straighten (rollerset) 3b & 3c then 4a: thats why my front & middle is longer then my back

fine (3b/3c) & medium (3c/4a)

water-based products (my moisturisers) moisture products (keracare & AO)

What is a no-no?
grease or alcohol & LUSTERS PINK LOTION

album & blog in my siggy

using a shampoo that detangles and a conditioner that gives great slip keeps our hair from being tangled

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
What is your hair type? 3c/4a
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed?Texturized
Do you stretch your relaxer?No
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Silk Elements Mild
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I was natural for 4 or 5 monthsHow long was your transition 13 months
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? medium
What does your hair LOVE? water
What is a no-no? regular heat use
Do you have a album/journal? in siggy

Do whats best for YOUR hair, don't jump on every bandwagon.

Blackoutzangel05

What is your hair type? I am a 3c/4a. I have more 4a spots I believe but there is definitely 3c texture in there as well
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? I am natural
Do you stretch your relaxer? When I was getting relaxed I did this simply because my hair never "took" a relaxer well and so I didn't see the need to put the extra stress on my hair. And since my hair had a tendency to break off if not properly taken care of when it was relaxed it was not out of sorts for me to get a relaxer 2 or 3 times a year
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? I don't know...my hair dresser did it...this was so before I found LHCF I know that it was regular but stayed on for about 10 minutes
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? I am noticing, now more than ever, that the various textures take moisture different. For the most part I spend a good 2 or 3 minutes working my daily moisturizers thru my hair from root to tip. Because of the tight curls I want to make sure that the whole hair is moisturized. Right now I am in braids so I don't have to do this as much.
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I have been natural for 5 1/2 weeks!!!!!!
How long was your transition My transition was from Dec.1 to July 11th. So about 7 months...however I did do a texlax in May with a mild motions relaxer that didn't take at all....but when I BC'ed I cut my hair down to what was natural and that was about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Thick/medium definitely
What does your hair LOVE? Co-washes with my various conditioners....
What is a no-no? Not moisturizing two times a day..no matter what style I am in
Do you have a album/journal? Both are indicated in my signature...

Any special advice on those hairtypes? For me it has taken time to love and accept my hair. Right now I am participating in the hard core crown and glory challenge because I want to see how much growth I can achieve in a year with braids. I am not fond of my short hair and like to have length. I miss my hair already. However, I believe that the constant manipulation from me running my fingers through it was causing more damage than good and I have learned how to braid my own hair. All hair textures come with complaints and I don't see mine as being any different however, if you work with your hair texture instead of wasting time wishing it was different, you find that hairstyles aren't that difficult and life becomes a lot easier, at least as far as hair is concerned.

Missi

we all have so much in common w/ out hair: most relaxed heads: we use mild relaxers: i read each post and we have very similar or exact answers to the questions: also I look at u natural ladies and i kno that if I went natural: my hair would have lovely curls like yall do:

also: questions for the naturals: do u find it easier for our hair type to BC if we decided to transition?

curlycraze

What is your hair type? 4a (maybe 3c)
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed? Texlaxed, no more relaxer until I reach BSL, then I may completely transition.
Do you stretch your relaxer? Yes, every 4-6 months
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? Mild
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? No.
If you are natural for how long have you been natural?N/A
How long was your transition N/A
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? Medium and fine
What does your hair LOVE?Deep conditioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2x a week)
What is a no-no? Direct heat on my ends (I roller set and flat iron roots w/ heat protectant).
Do you have a album/journal? Yes, only two pics though...eventually, more to come.

Any special advice on those hairtypes
Dry hair and new growth means more moisture/conditioning, not relaxer. I am glad that I finally figured this out.

prtybrwnis

Could someone direct me to it please?
If not type 4a/3c ladies please get in here...

What is your hair type? 3c/4a.....I think
Do you stretch your relaxer? Yes, currently at 8 weeks but have done up to 12. I hope to stretch longer once my hair gets longer. It's hard right now because the back of my hair is very curly since it's shorter then the rest and is mostly new growth.
What brand and strength of relaxer do you use? My stylist uses Affirm - not sure of strength but I know my hair is resistant he says.
Do you have problems relaxing or caring for your hair b/c of the different textures you might have? I had a problem with the different textures while natural. I had my hair colored and it would straighten some of the strands, while some were still curly. This is why I decided to relax again in January 2007
If you are natural for how long have you been natural? I was natural for almost 2 years but relaxed hair is easier for me.
How long was your transition I did the B/C
Are your strands thick/medium or fine? fine. I long for thicker hair.
What does your hair LOVE? Keracare Dry-Itchy. It makes my scalp feel so good and Suave Clarifying Shampoo. My hair gets lots of body from this.
What is a no-no? Heat. I stay away from the flat iron/blow dryer unless it is a salon visit. It makes my hair very dry. I rollerset every 4 - 7 days.
Do you have a album/journal? No, but working on it.

Any special advice on those hairtypes? I'm not seasoned enough to give any advice yet. Still a newbie soaking up knowledge from the vets on LHCF

Thanks in advance:yep: