Is Manic Panic semi-perm safe for texlaxed hair?

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I had a very bad compound henna experience about a year ago which causes me to feel very nervous about using any other hair dyes. Even though I know Manic Panic is a semi, I have texlaxed hair. My current condition of my hair is in my siggy and fotki, and I want to go from strawberry blond ends, to black hair.

I read a few reviews on here and only found one person who doesn't like manic panic. What should I do to limited the drying and tangling effects the semi might cause to my hair? I was thinking of adding a moisturizing conditioner to the manic panic semi, but that might not make the color take full.

HELP! I don't want a majoe set back.

OMG! I’m a manic panic maniac!!! I LUVVVVVV manic panic!!!! *calms down*
Its one of the best. I never had any problems with them when I was relaxed/texlaxed and bleached blonde (all at the same time). It never broke my hair out. Since I have been natural I have not used them though*is very sad* I wrote a blog about how I missed that stuff!

What color are you thinking of using? I have probably used it!

also i would say first do a patch section (on any dye you use and its a first time) one week before you do your whole head. Do your regular routine and see if it drys out or has a bad reaction. And to make sure you like the color.

manic panic dried my hair out when I used it :perplexed But I was also bleached so who knows what effect it would have now.

I used pretty much every shade of their blues and purples, and once, their atomic pink. (<-that one was cute! although it came out more purple)
rei_hair.jpg

I use Manic Panic to dye my clip-in afro highlights. When I used it with the Pure White developer (20), the color was very vibrant. When I used it on my hair, it looked like a rinse. I loved it! Be sure to get the shampoo that they suggest on the bottle - it's worth it.

Thanks ladies!

I have so many question, but I'll keep it short :grin:

First off should I mix it with conditioner to help with the dryness?

Should I use a plastic cap, and heat?

I have color in my tips, will this cover it up completely which I'm looking for?

How offen do I have to reapply?

Thanks ladies!

I have so many question, but I'll keep it short :grin:

First off should I mix it with conditioner to help with the dryness?
Should I use a plastic cap, and heat?

I have color in my tips, will this cover it up completely which I'm looking for?
How often do I have to reapply?

You can, just be sure to use gloves. Purple hands are not cute.

Yes, use the cap to keep the messiness down. You can use heat at your discretion.

Depends on the color on your tips. If you're light brown (like a 27) on your tips and you use the flamingo pink, you'll end up with a dark fuschia color.

I would use it once every 12 weeks.

HTH

You can, just be sure to use gloves. Purple hands are not cute.

Yes, use the cap to keep the messiness down. You can use heat at your discretion.

Depends on the color on your tips. If you're light brown (like a 27) on your tips and you use the flamingo pink, you'll end up with a dark fuschia color.

I would use it once every 12 weeks.

HTH

Yeah.....don't use the atomic turquoise either if your hair isn't white blonde >.>; it will come out sea green. I had that issue, lol.

Anyway! definitely use gloves, and DON'T USE TOO MUCH! I used too much one time and was washing purple out of my pillows for weeks. Seriously, only a bit goes very far. It takes pretty fast on AA hair, especially hair that is already processed since it is porous, so while you can do the heat, it won't really make a difference. I wouldn't put condi in it, it might affect the dye. instead, do a DC after you finish your last rinse, that may help with the dryness, and while there will be a bit of a color fade because of the heat, since you just dyed it, it won't be significant.

manic panic dried my hair out when I used it :perplexed But I was also bleached so who knows what effect it would have now.

I used pretty much every shade of their blues and purples, and once, their atomic pink. (<-that one was cute! although it came out more purple)
rei_hair.jpg

do you have any example pics on fotki of how the different colours came out?

I recently posted a thread on my manic panic expierence. I deep conditioned prior to application & it helped to combat the dryness..my hair gets fairly dry especially the ends and I'm still holding up pretty well..i 've used it before and I liked it then & I like it now..hth

I have a question about Manic Panic that I may not get the answer to in the Bigen post :rolleyes:...

I used to use Dark&Lovely's purple passion hair color in highschool for a nice purple tint that could mostly be seen in the sunlight. (good times those were!) Well since they discontinued it there has been nothing like it (not Adore, not Jazzing, not in my head - heehee!)

So I'm wondering if I use Manic Panic in Purple Haze, will I see good results on my hair as it now looks in the pictures? I haven't colored in MONTHS, and deep condition weekly, and just want a new look for the spring/summer!

Attachments

• DSCN3351.jpg
    DSCN3351.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3370.jpg
    DSCN3370.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 39
  • purpleHaze.jpg
    purpleHaze.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 16
I found the manic panic color to be quite gentle! & the color payoff was very good!!! Almost too good because before long I was sick of the color.

o5000000E-vi.jpg

o5000002A-vi.jpg

o50000012-vi.jpg

When it was pretty much faded out:
o50000032-vi.jpg

NappyGoddesse I only applied color to last few inches of my hair, but the intensity of the color was overwhelming at times. I would suggest dyeing shed hairs first to see how quickly the color takes BEFORE putting all that purple on your tresses. I didn't use heat, bleach my hair or allow the color to sit for a super long time...

HTH!

@DivineNapps - WOW, that color is gorgeous!!! I did a strand test last night, and it doesn't look like it took really well. I may have to use a clarifying shampoo and heat to see results on my jet black hair! Thanks for the advice, will let you know how it turns out!

Hey Goddesse!!! Yeah i find if u sit under the dryer it makes the color more intense....but i've only used Vampire Red so i dunno about that Purple Haze....supposedly the neon colors are supposed to give dark hair a nice tint in the light.

I pm'd u las night....i HTH:)

So I did it! How I wish that my hair had turned out as vibrant as SmilingElephant, preciousfa02, and DivineNapps1728!!! It looks good, just BARELY a purple hint to it, though. I left it in the second time for 3 hours and sat under the dryer that last hour. I read online where some people left it in for four hours, or even overnight. (Not sure about the overnight thing, but hey, you never know!) One thing is for sure, though, my gray hairs are indeed purple! LOL!!!

My camera is being sent back to me and I will post pics as soon as I receive it in the mail...

So I did it! How I wish that my hair had turned out as vibrant as SmilingElephant, preciousfa02, and DivineNapps1728!!! It looks good, just BARELY a purple hint to it, though. I left it in the second time for 3 hours and sat under the dryer that last hour. I read online where some people left it in for four hours, or even overnight. (Not sure about the overnight thing, but hey, you never know!) One thing is for sure, though, my gray hairs are indeed purple! LOL!!!

My camera is being sent back to me and I will post pics as soon as I receive it in the mail...

Is your jet black hair a semi-perm or perm color? That could be the reason the Manic Panic purple haze didn't show through. It's hard to put a lighter color over black than it is to put a darker color over lighter color. I persoanlly don't recommend this, but if you are dying to get the purple to show through then you might want to use a low number of developer over your hair and then put the manic panic on top of your hair. Do you have a relaxer?

Question is this Manic Panic like a Cellophane where it will wash out eventually?

I think a color change is inorder 4 me but I do not want to committ to anything permanent

I would love to try tthe amplified cobra to go lighter brown but I dunno if this will be temporary.

Question is this Manic Panic like a Cellophane where it will wash out eventually?

I think a color change is inorder 4 me but I do not want to committ to anything permanent

I would love to try tthe amplified cobra to go lighter brown but I dunno if this will be temporary.

Manic panic is a semi-perm which means its has more color deposits than a rinse. A rinse will usually wash out in 3 washes or less, and a semi-perm will usually wash out only a little at a time, but will usually take much longer. The darker the color, the longer it usually takes. I have the manic panic raven black in my avatar.

Back