Is Finger-Combing Low Manip?

PAgirl

Hey, I am totally loss about detangling my natural hair. I seem to get a lot of breakage when i detangle everyday with combs, so I decided to not detangle for a week.:nono:

BIG MISTAKE!!!!! My hair broke off so badly and I had strands of hair that connected to other strands making a U. How do you detangle? Is detangling with fingers everyday low manipulation?

I don't really think it's low mani, but I do think it's gentler than combs or brushes because you can feel knots and not yank through them like you might accidentally do with a comb or brush. It's time consuming though, which is why I only finger-comb when my hair is in twists or braids so I can work on one section at a time. When I finger-comb, I'm anal and work on separating the strands fully and sliding fingers up the strands to pull out any shed hair. (Video Clip)

Hey, I am totally loss about detangling my natural hair. I seem to get a lot of breakage when i detangle everyday with combs, so I decided to not detangle for a week.:nono:

BIG MISTAKE!!!!! My hair broke off so badly and I had strands of hair that connected to other strands making a U. How do you detangle? Is detangling with fingers everyday low manipulation?
@PAgirl,

You have to work in small sections. You can't detangle natural hair dry, unless you want increased breakage. I don't think finger detangling everyday is low-manipulation. How are you wearing your hair styled that you think you'd even need to detangle it everyday?

I've been finger detangling since Oct 2010, it's the best thing ever for my hair. :yep:

Last edited:
@PAgirl,

You have to work in small sections. You can't detangle natural hair dry, unless you want increased breakage. I don't think finger detangling everyday is low-manipulation. How are you wearing your hair styled that you think you'd even need to detangle it everyday?

I've been finger detangling since Oct 2010, it's the best thing ever for my hair. :yep:

I wear it in a bun. But take it down at night. Thats when I think it gets tangled.

I only use the comb to help remove shed hair. Honestly, I believe that is where a lot of naturals mess up. Even if you used a seamless comb, I would still recommend that you finger detangle first before you comb your hair because you can feel for knots and tangles whereas with a comb you can't. By the time you hit a knot it is too late.

Personally, I prefer to finger detangle on dry hair first with a little oil (in small sections) then I will add a light spray of aloe juice to my hair then I will go over it with a comb only when I have got out most light tangles. But you have to do what is best for your hair. This routine might not be right for you.

Is everyday finger detangling okay? It depends on your hair. If your hair likes it then yes it is okay. I probably could get away with it because I don't think my hair is as fragile as I think it is but to play it safe I only detangle 2-4 times a month. I would honestly suggest that you find a more protective hairstyle that does not require you to touch your hair so much if you are experiencing problems with your current one....

Last edited:
I finger comb every time I co-wash. I usually wear a wash-n-go, so it's rather often. I detangle with a wide tooth comb about once a month or so.

i definitely think finger detangling every day is too much manipulation.
how do you wear your hair?
you shouldn't need to detangle so much.
I detangle at least once a week with a comb. I know the no-comb thing works for some people, but i can't do it. when i tried, my hair got really tangly and matted.

i definitely think finger detangling every day is too much manipulation.
how do you wear your hair?
you shouldn't need to detangle so much.
I detangle at least once a week with a comb. I know the no-comb thing works for some people, but i can't do it. when i tried, my hair got really tangly and matted.

I wear my hair in a high bun. I like to wet it in the morning then I take it out at night. My hair gets puffy and frizzy when I wear other styles.

Back