IS ANYONE ON A HAIR DIET?

Nanyanika

I'd love to do one, since my daily diet is bad, it was destroying my hair for a long time, however as i posted recently, my hair has recovered through High sulfur supplementation. It is more important to depend on nutrients from healthy eating rather than depending on vitamins and eating wrongly, that defeats the purpose. Anyway i need to lose weight and be in better health. Anyone have any suggestions of foods i could add to this list.

Foods Rich in Sulfur
For those of us with impaired sulfoxidation, knowing what's high in sulfur is critical.

Garlic, onions, and all of the allium family
Grains
methionine: corn, sunflower seeds, oats, chocolate, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds (in that order).
cysteine: oats, corn (corn grits are higher than chicken, see Sulfur in Human Nutrition and Applications in Medicine, by Stephen Parcell, ND. Published by Thorne Research. [PDF].)
MSM: corn
Legumes (alfalfa: MSM)
Red meats
eggs
of chicken
[of duck maybe less so?]
Nuts & seeds
Broccoli and all cole-family (brassica) vegetables. This includes cabbages, pak choi, mustard, and watercress.
Asparagus
Coconut
Avocado (high in glutathione, which breaks down during digestion, yielding cysteine)
Watermelon (also high in glutathione)
Swiss Chard
Parsley
Spinach (high in lipoic acid)
Sweet potatoes and "yams" (American yams, Genus Ipomoea, not Dioscorea, which the rest of the world calls "yams") - a sulfur compound in this tuber chelates heavy metals. [Need documentation on this.]
Tomatoes (MSM)
Tea & coffee: MSM
Cows' milk: MSM
Whey proteins (high in cysteine & methionine)
Amino acids: cysteine, methionine
Thiamin / Thiamine / Vitamin B1 / aneurine
Biotin, Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H

Brinasia

Hi Den. I saw you on another thread singing the praises of MSM. Where did you purchase your MSM? also what is the dose I should start off with and how did you gradually get up 20,000mg.

Nanyanika

Brinasia said:
Hi Den. I saw you on another thread singing the praises of MSM. Where did you purchase your MSM? also what is the dose I should start off with and how did you gradually get up 20,000mg.
I purchased mine from www.a1msm.co.uk
I'd say begin with 1,000mg daily drink at least 1-2 litres of water daily. I began with 3,000mg equal to 1/4 teaspoon in 1-2 litres of diluted orange juice. Then i increased an extra 2,000mg per week, until i got up to 20,000mg. Currently, I will take anywhere from 10,000-20,000mg.

aileenadq

I am for two reasons: hair and weight loss. I'm on a high protien diet (supplemented by protien shakes). I'm also taking a women's multi, Biotin, MSM, a time-release all B, amino acids, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Some of these I take for my hair, but others are for overall health, b/c I have "food issues" that mess up my digestive process, so I supplement.

So far my nails & hair are growing like CRAZY. I've had 2" in the last 4 weeks that I've managed to retain.

And, I've lost a good 15 lbs by diet and excercise.

I hope I can keep this up!

ElizaBlue

Den,

I just made a post on coffee. Now I read yours, are you saying coffee is good? and that it has MSM? Please advise. I'm addictee to coffee and wonder if it has a negative effect on my hair.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I interrupt this thread to bring you an important OFF TOPIC ALERT

Den1, girl, if you don't get to BC'in soon I'mma jump thru the 'puter and do it for you! your natural hair has just flourished! :eek: Talkin' bout a hair diet...shoot! Here's a diet: kiss them ends goodbye already! :whip: :whip: :whip:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

Nanyanika

aileenadq said:
I am for two reasons: hair and weight loss. I'm on a high protien diet (supplemented by protien shakes). I'm also taking a women's multi, Biotin, MSM, a time-release all B, amino acids, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Some of these I take for my hair, but others are for overall health, b/c I have "food issues" that mess up my digestive process, so I supplement.

So far my nails & hair are growing like CRAZY. I've had 2" in the last 4 weeks that I've managed to retain.

And, I've lost a good 15 lbs by diet and excercise.

I hope I can keep this up!
WoW 2 inches in four weeks i remember those days, when my hair grew like that. Which protein shake do you take daily? is it the designer Whey Protein? i wouldn'ty mind trying it, but i don't want to put on weight. Congrats on your weightloss. I need to eat foods with lots of Bs because my nerves are so bad, i probably may have to supplement to get it into my system quickly. Speaking of nail growth, my nails are strong and growing faster.

Nanyanika

ElizaBlue said:
Den,

I just made a post on coffee. Now I read yours, are you saying coffee is good? and that it has MSM? Please advise. I'm addictee to coffee and wonder if it has a negative effect on my hair.
The information i posted was from this site http://www.loudzen.com/canary/challenges/food/sulfurfoods.html, i was suprised when i discovered that tea and coffee are also a source of MSM SULFUR. Are you finding any negative effects with your hair?

Nanyanika

PittGirl06 said:
I interrupt this thread to bring you an important OFF TOPIC ALERT

Den1, girl, if you don't get to BC'in soon I'mma jump thru the 'puter and do it for you! your natural hair has just flourished! :eek: Talkin' bout a hair diet...shoot! Here's a diet: kiss them ends goodbye already! :whip: :whip: :whip:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
LOL girl you'll be waitin a long time, I want more length MAN!! Hmmm BC, Maybe in December.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

My hair diet consist of eating things high in protein, and drinking lots of water, along w/MSM, biotin, omega 3,6,9, garlic suppliments, multi, and GNC Ultra nourish hair, I also drink protein shakes.

Nanyanika

BeautifulWideEyes said:
My hair diet consist of eating things high in protein, and drinking lots of water, along w/MSM, biotin, omega 3,6,9, garlic suppliments, multi, and GNC Ultra nourish hair, I also drink protein shakes.
Have you noticed a diffrence in your health and hair? alsdo how long have you been taking all these suplements for?

aileenadq

Den:

I use Puritan's Pride Vanilla. It has low carbs. I do 1-2 shakes per day with skim milk & some fruit (like bananas) and some honey (it has low sugar).

I think the length retention is due to 1) the vitimans, esp the protien & Biotin and 2) the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine that I apply to my ends 2-3 times a day and before I wrap at night.

I'm not sure if it's a jump start or if I will keep up this growth rate, but I hope so.

Whole Foods has really good protien shakes, too.

I'm also walking 2-3 miles at a fast pace 2-3 times a week.

Let me know if you try the shakes.

Good Luck!

A