I think I have a problem. . . .

ellennicole

Okay. . . I really didn't think I was a product junkie... but I just got back from my lunchhour shopping spree at the beauty supply store where I spent $30 (two days AFTER I bought 40 worth of products @ metrobeauty.com. mostly Keracare Humecto, Lazan Protein Shampoo,and L'Oreal's Unfrizz Treatment). Anyway today I found a GIANT SIZE S-Curl bottle that I couldn't resist. I heard a lot about the Hot Six Oil...and I'm attempting to learn how to rollerset my hair so I had to buy the magnetic rollers. . . and then I was out of my profectiv Healthy Ends. . . and one can never have too many satin scrafs. . .
I got in my car and realized.... I DEFINITELY have a problem. You know you're a junkie when you start hiding your "stuff" so your family doesn't know just how much you spend on hair products. . . .

Don't worry chica, we're in the same boat. I recently purchased Elucence moisturizing shampoo, extended repair conditioner, base and some other products by Joico. On my lunch break, I purchased a ceramic flat iron, a new mirror and some conditioner. This week alone, I have probably spent nearly $200 on hair products. but I'm generally good, I'll find the products that work best for me and stick with those. What worked great during the winter months isn't necessarily working the same during the summer months for me. Not only, I recently had a bad experience at a salon.

Well...if it makes you feel any better I spent $113.00 last week and have 22 dollars to go in order to re-stock all of my "must have" supplies. This normally last me about 8 months or longer all depending on useage. I bought the large sizes in the supplies I use the most. I'm still in the closet though...

You might want to think about placing a limit on your spending. I try to buy no more than one product a week. That way I can do my weekly theraputic stroll through the BSS, and still spend no more than approximately $25 on products a month. Sometimes more, mostly less. I guess I'm not a PJ. But I love to window shop!!! I will spend an hour in Whole foods hair care section alone.

You are making me feel better I spent almost $100 at 2 different beauty supply stores and there are still things I want. I am a shopaholic but recently I have been focused more on hair than my usual shoes and clothes. I think once I find out what works and doesn't work I won't be spending that much.

Don't worry girls, hopefully it will pass. My pj problem is getting better. Within the last month, my "hair" told me to calm down. I have been doing a co wash every two days, and I have found out that less is more.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. . . I really didn't think I was a product junkie... but I just got back from my lunchhour shopping spree at the beauty supply store where I spent $30 (two days AFTER I bought 40 worth of products @ metrobeauty.com. mostly Keracare Humecto, Lazan Protein Shampoo,and L'Oreal's Unfrizz Treatment). Anyway today I found a GIANT SIZE S-Curl bottle that I couldn't resist. I heard a lot about the Hot Six Oil...and I'm attempting to learn how to rollerset my hair so I had to buy the magnetic rollers. . . and then I was out of my profectiv Healthy Ends. . . and one can never have too many satin scrafs. . .
I got in my car and realized.... I DEFINITELY have a problem. You know you're a junkie when you start hiding your "stuff" so your family doesn't know just how much you spend on hair products. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens to the best of us.. I don't worry about it anymore because I work hard and this is my one guilty pleasure. But it dies down after you've tried it all. As long as your family is being fed, the lights are on, you're not stealing pennies out of junior's piggy bank to buy shampoo then I say enjoy yourself. Why deny yourself affordable pleasures?

My boyfriend tells me I spend way too much money on my hair. He says if
we ever get married, I will just have to wear a cap!

Anyways, if it is preventing you from reaching your financial goals, I would say you
have a problem that needs to be addressed. Otherwise, share your products
with your family members, try to cut back in other areas (I'm cheap about my work wardrobe),
or try to buy sample sizes to satisfy your urges.

Ya know. (Warning: wide abuse of rationalization ahead) I started feeling bad about all the money I was spending on hair products. And yes, I’ve hidden more than a few items from my family who just look at me in disgust while I hear murmurs of “making another concoction” or the “potions master has some new ingredients”. I refuse to feel guilty or even call myself a pj anymore. One main reason is that if I hadn’t been lied to all these years about black hair care by greedy manufacturers just trying to make a buck off of the insecurities and woes of black women, I wouldn’t have had to launch myself into a spare-no-expense journey to find the proper products and care methods for my hair. And if that’s not justification enough for me I remind myself how hard I work everyday and how I deserve to pamper myself. If neither of these work, I get mad. I work myself up, make my purchases, say to heck with it and dare anybody to say anything to me about what I do with my money. But that’s just me.

I did that when I first started coming to the hair boards. I didn't have to hide it...but I definitley felt guilty. I started checking with Sally's and Rite Aide first for a product..so if I didn't like it or just changed my mind, I could return it. I have my staples now...so I don't buy as many products. I buy something new once in a while...but like I said I stick to places where I can return it if need be.

Sally's lets you return stuff if you don't like it and even though it has been open? I think that info right there can be encouragement for some lol. But not me because I'll probably be too lazy to bring it back or find it easier to give it away.

Same here...when I was trying new products I made sure I bought them from somewhere I could take them back if I didn't like them. Tried something by Paul Mitchell which I bought from Ulta 3 Cosmetics, didn't like it after about 3 trys...took it back. Tried Nexxus Headress, didn't like it after about 3 trys too...took it back. Now I'm sticking with the products which I know work for me. No more trying anything new for awhile.

Im still new at this hair care thing so I dont feel bad about buying products. Im still trying to find the perfect regimen...after that, I know that I will stick to my staples...

Back