I need your advice...Should I cut?

CurlyLawGal

*SIGH* This has been an unfortunate hair week for me. I got a significant amount of breakage every single day this week. I'm sure it is a either a protein/moisture or porosity problem, but I am just so tempted to "start over". Instead of trying to fix it and possibly making it worse, my gut is saying "cut, cut, cut!!" One side of my hair is already uneven with the other, so I knew this day would come eventually. I just wanted to reach my goal of APL before doing it. Ok, so here is my question:

Does it make sense to start fresh with a professional cut? Has anyone experienced an early setback and bounced back successfully? I am probably making a big deal out of nothing, but I really want to get it right this time...

Thanks for any advice you all can provide.

I would do what you think will help the most for your long-term goals. That being said, I don't think a cut cures all. You may decide to cut and then have the same problems down the road, so it might be better to figure out what your hair is wanting. I would maybe try out a new product or two to combat the breakage and go from there. It will work out. HHG!

Cutting won't solve anything because the problem will come right on back and break off more hair after you get it cut.

For the long-term health of your hair, the only solution is figuring out and fixing the problem. :yep:

What's your regimen? I'm sure we'll be able to help you out if we knew more about what was going on. :)

What's your regimen? I'm sure we'll be able to help you out if we knew more about what was going on. :)

I am still trying to nail down my reggie, but here is what I typically do:

* Wash 1x/week with Donna Marie Shampoo
* Aphogee 2min or Joico K-Pak as needed
* DC w/ heat for 30 mins 1x/week with DevaCurl
* Moisturize daily w/ Darcy's Botanicals
* Seal daily with light oil (jojoba, sweet almond, or grapeseed OR jane carter nourish and shine)
* Stretch hair at night with two french braids (although they always come undone and I wake up with "unstretched" hair)
* Bun 6-7 days/week

* Co-wash w/ Donna Marie Moisturizing Conditioner 2-3x/week (or as needed)

For purposes of full disclosure, I just purchased Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk and used it in place of Darcys. Of course, that is when the breakage occurred. I ALSO tried to seal with JBCO. Again, breakage. All in all, this could be a result of my PJism.

ALSO--I have been doing seek and destroys, but maybe my shears aren't sharp enough??

I've cut my problem ends before only to have the problem again. Your best bet is to figure out what your hair needs like the ladies are suggesting.

I am still trying to nail down my reggie, but here is what I typically do:

* Wash 1x/week with Donna Marie Shampoo
* Aphogee 2min or Joico K-Pak as needed
* DC w/ heat for 30 mins 1x/week with DevaCurl
* Moisturize daily w/ Darcy's Botanicals
* Seal daily with light oil (jojoba, sweet almond, or grapeseed OR jane carter nourish and shine)
* Stretch hair at night with two french braids (although they always come undone and I wake up with "unstretched" hair)
* Bun 6-7 days/week

* Co-wash w/ Donna Marie Moisturizing Conditioner 2-3x/week (or as needed)

For purposes of full disclosure, I just purchased Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk and used it in place of Darcys. Of course, that is when the breakage occurred. I ALSO tried to seal with JBCO. Again, breakage. All in all, this could be a result of my PJism.

ALSO--I have been doing seek and destroys, but maybe my shears aren't sharp enough??

Could it be possible that there is a good amount of manipulation going on?

Does you hair like coconut oil? That's one of the main ingredients in the Bee Mine product. I know using coconut oil on dry hair for me is not the most moisturizing.

you need to figure out what went wrong and take it from there. would it be possible to see a pic of your hair? i wouldn't want to suggest cutting your hair and not have seen what it looks like. if the damage is really bad, you may just have to cut your hair.

Could it be possible that there is a good amount of manipulation going on?

Does you hair like coconut oil? That's one of the main ingredients in the Bee Mine product. I know using coconut oil on dry hair for me is not the most moisturizing.

This is what I was thinking! How do you style your hair on a daily basis?

Here is a pic of today's bun (i wore it like this all and my hair out of the bun.
a6890e54-93c4-721d.jpg
a6890e54-9439-13f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Honestly, for me when I kept having these issues, it was patience. I did keep trimming because my ends kept splitting no matter what and I had so much breakage. I noticed less breakage once I stopped relaxing, using heat, and keeping it moisturiezed. Don't know if your relaxed (and I am not against it), but maybe that can be the cause. But do what's best for you. It may be difficult to pinpoint exactly. Maybe start by reading the ingredients of your products to see if you could have sensitivities, or lacking something. Also, bunning did not work at all for me. Not sure why. So I recently started making 2 large twists (like a crown) and leaving that in for 3 days or longer if it still looked good, cornrows (no added hair) and pixie braids (no added hair). And co-wash at least once a week. Good luck, and I feel your pain!

ETA: Actually my trimming was more cutting out of frustration - I do not recommend:lol:.

Maybe ease up on the bunning, not everyone can bun 24/7 without experiencing a problem. Could you perhaps try a different protective method.

Golden75 I don't relax, but I may need to look into other protective styles.

LushLox you might be right. I could be putting too much stress on my hair.

does your hair feel mushy or hard/dry? you look like you just need a good trim. do you wet bun your hair and keep apply moisture daily?

does your hair feel mushy or hard/dry? you look like you just need a good trim. do you wet bun your hair and keep apply moisture daily?

My hair doesn't really feel mushy or dry (that's part of my frustration, it feels fine). I wet bun from time to time, but I generally let it airdry in braids overnight. I do apply moisture daily, and that happens to be one of the products I changed this week. I might be shelfing deja's hair milk. I never have this problem with Darcy's.

I had the same experience when i was transitioning (10 months no perm) and my hair was thriving. All of a sudden I decided to jump on the coconut bandwagon. I had never seen anything like it before as soon as I started to put the coconut oil on my hair it immediately started to shed like crazy. I learned the hard way what my hair didn't like and instead of fixing the problem I covered it up by perming it. If your hair started to shed all of a sudden after using a specific product then I would nurse my hair back to health and stick to what works. I no longer try everything under the sun if my hair is doing fine even if that means it will only grow .75 inch per month. I am ok with that!

Hi ladies. I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice last week. :bighug: I ended up trimming (not cutting!!) the dead ends and taking a close look at my reggie/products. I decided that I have my staples, and there is no need to keep trying new stuff. If, it ain't broke, don't fix it! Anyway... I haven't had ANY BREAKAGE! :yay:I know it has only been three days, but it is still a relief. Hopefully I can keep it up. Here is a pic of my trim.

Attachments

• update.JPG
    update.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
Back