I May Have to Do A 2nd BC

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
This really saddens me.

Ever since I took out my 1st set of twists a couple weeks ago, my hair has been acting crazy. My curls now have almost 0 definition (except for the nape and a few clumps here and there). It's not because I need a trim since I did that recently. I've done all of the usual clarifying and deep conditioning (moisture, protein, etc.) but nothing has helped. My products even feel differently when I apply them for a wash'n go. My castor oil goes on funny, and I have to rub extra hard to get it in. When I get out of the shower from co-washing, my hair doesn't even look the same...it just looks like a wet fro. My "new-growth" seems fine, but the colored parts are just, blah.

I think that this color has done more harm than good. It looked good for the past few months, but now I regret it. Not to mention I did 2 processes in one day :nono:. What was I thinking? I used both Textures & Tones AND Dark & Lovely.

I have about 2 inches of virgin hair. If I cut it down to that length, it would be the same as when I first did the BC. I'm thinking of maybe waiting about 2-3 months so that I could gain maybe 2 inches before I cut it off again. I could just continue to twist my hair until then.

The only "new" thing I did was use Indian oils...which are just oils, like how I would use any other oil. So I don't think that could be it, especially after all of the clarifyinig and shampooing I've done since last using them.

I'm just so confused about what could possibly be wrong with my hair.

:cries:

Im sorry this happened to you. The last time I colored my hair was when i was a teenager and I used dark and lovely and it was a disaster. I have heard of people losing curl definition with using color and since you double processed that probably is what happened to you. I would wait before I bc again to see if babying your hair for a little while helps. Maybe some more ladies with more experience using color can come in here and give you some advice. I hope things get better for you.

Dark hair colors (including henna) change my curl pattern too. :yep: Protein treatment usually help me. :yep:

Dark and Lovely hair color has ammonia and peroxide. This will loosen your hair and open up the cuticles. Then if you added more peroxide to that ammonia- you have a recipe for frail dry hair. ( NOT to worry- Dark and Lovely did it to me too. ( I thought I would have to BC too. ) The next time you color( if you dare)try Textures and Tones it has no ammonia- and in the meantime-
placate your hair with the smelly aphogee reconstructor and moisturize moisturize. baggy your whole head and moisturize. Porosity control is also good for a hair dye snafu. You may have to cut the ends off as your hair gets longer- in the meantime- do conditioner washes and reconstructor religiously- like 1-2 times a week for the next 8 weeks Please do not put a rattail comb through your hair. try the lo-mani challenge andTreat your hair like its the most delicate rare flower that will only stay alive if you keep your regimen on it daily. No Shampoo of any kind, except for AAA hair tea- (ask Sareca or Candy C for the recipe)shampoo will further dry it out cause your hair's cortex is damaged.
Repeat for the next six to 8 weeks. Let us know how it did. HTH

I've been using my Aveda DR set, but that hasn't helped with the issue. Everything that usually works with my hair, isn't working. I know that those products still work, of course. It's just my hair that's not being responsive to the treatments.

I will continue to see what I can do. I planned on growing this color out anyway, but while still being able to do the styles I like. Now, my wash 'n gos don't look right at all. I'm just going to keep twisting my hair until I get a couple more inches, and then I'll BC. That'll be the plan unless I just get tired of dealing with the color and chop it off.

Dark and Lovely hair color has ammonia and peroxide. This will loosen your hair and open up the cuticles. Then if you added more peroxide to that ammonia- you have a recipe for frail dry hair. ( NOT to worry- Dark and Lovely did it to me too. ( I thought I would have to BC too. ) The next time you color( if you dare)try Textures and Tones it has no ammonia- and in the meantime-
placate your hair with the smelly aphogee reconstructor and moisturize moisturize. baggy your whole head and moisturize. Porosity control is also good for a hair dye snafu. You may have to cut the ends off as your hair gets longer- in the meantime- do conditioner washes and reconstructor religiously- like 1-2 times a week for the next 8 weeks Please do not put a rattail comb through your hair. try the lo-mani challenge andTreat your hair like its the most delicate rare flower that will only stay alive if you keep your regimen on it daily. No Shampoo of any kind, except for AAA hair tea- (ask Sareca or Candy C for the recipe)shampoo will further dry it out cause your hair's cortex is damaged.
Repeat for the next six to 8 weeks. Let us know how it did. HTH

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking about going to Sally's and buying the Roux Porisity Control (sp?) stuff. I might pick that up and some Aphogee.

I hope you are able to salvage your hair. Good luck with it! Also maybe you can do some cassia treatments to recondition your hair.:look:

I would not do the 2nd BC right away... I would alternate protein, moisture and protective styles and see if you notice any improvement.

If not and you find that you must trim, I would do so a little at a time...

I would also try henna - it's a 'healing' color, and it is DEFINITELY a color, but it saved my ends when I bleached and then dyed my hair - my uncolored hair still felt better, but at least the ends acted - properly.

Also - I don't know how you've clarified, but I found - even before I started using henna - that a good baking soda & water rinse would cause all my curls to curl....

I hope you figure it out, and don't have to cut it all off at once....

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking about going to Sally's and buying the Roux Porisity Control (sp?) stuff. I might pick that up and some Aphogee.

sooooooo sorry TSU :sad:

please get some hard aphogee, this stuff is wonderful!!

also make sure you get something really moisturizing to follow up too!

hang in there, hope not lost just yet.

I would not do the 2nd BC right away... I would alternate protein, moisture and protective styles and see if you notice any improvement.

If not and you find that you must trim, I would do so a little at a time...

I agree. I wouldn't BC right away. I would still keep growing it out and when I got to a certain length I felt comfy with, then I would cut. In the meanwhile I would faithfully DC & moisturize

Awww I'm sorry TSU. I wonder why it started acting crazy all the sudden? Have you changed anything else in your routine? Have you tried DCing overnight?

:hug2: I sure hope everything turns out okay. Your hair is so pretty. But you've got a great attitude about it, which is wonderful, sounds like you are prepared to chop again if need be, hopefully you won't have to, but if you do it will grow back quickly:yep:, no worries.

Awww I'm sorry TSU. I wonder why it started acting crazy all the sudden? Have you changed anything else in your routine? Have you tried DCing overnight?

I've done everything. I DC overnight often.

The only thing in my routine that I changed was using Indian oils. But those worked like any other oils, so I doubt that could be it.

Today, I'm going to go to Sally's to pick up some Roux Porosity Control Conditioner and the hardcore Aphogee treatment and see if that would help.

sooooooo sorry TSU :sad:

please get some hard aphogee, this stuff is wonderful!!

also make sure you get something really moisturizing to follow up too!

hang in there, hope not lost just yet.

ITA
then increase your moisture in your regimen and add protein to it ( like reconstructor every other week):yep:

Today I used the ApHogee 2-Step Treatment. After the final step of conditioning with the Balancing Moisturizer, I conditioned with Elucence MBC. I rinsed that out and then did a quick coat of Roux Porosity Control.

I must say, that even though my hair didn't return alllll the way back to it's normal state, I definitely noticed an improvement, and it looks a whole lot better than it has been for the past couple of weeks. About half of my curls came back, so I am not complaining. I will definitely keep doing the ApHogee every 6 weeks until all of the color is eventually trimmed off. I will include the Porosity Control in my regimen also. I bought some ApHogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstuctor, also, so I'll use that maybe a week and a half from now.

I ended up purchasing the ApHogee Pro-Vitamin leave-in and using it along with my normal products for my wash 'n go. My first impression of it was 'okay.' I will include that in my regimen somewhere since it has pretty nice ingredients.

In the end, thank you ladies for your support and suggestions. I can hold off on that BC and just gradually trim the ends :)

ETA: I realize that I should have been doing hard protein treatments since I colored. I've used the hardcore ApHogee protein treatment 2 years ago when I was relaxed, but I didn't really care for the results because my hair was still icky feeling when styling (I guess I didn't rinse it out all the way).

Last edited:
Glad you got some positive results. I feel you girl and every time your hair starts to act up again smack it back down with the regimen that you used. The hardcore aphogee- is the truth for dyed natural hair. Makes it strong like BULL!!! (LOL) and moisturize!!!!!!!!

This really saddens me.

Ever since I took out my 1st set of twists a couple weeks ago, my hair has been acting crazy. My curls now have almost 0 definition (except for the nape and a few clumps here and there). It's not because I need a trim since I did that recently. I've done all of the usual clarifying and deep conditioning (moisture, protein, etc.) but nothing has helped. My products even feel differently when I apply them for a wash'n go. My castor oil goes on funny, and I have to rub extra hard to get it in. When I get out of the shower from co-washing, my hair doesn't even look the same...it just looks like a wet fro. My "new-growth" seems fine, but the colored parts are just, blah.

I think that this color has done more harm than good. It looked good for the past few months, but now I regret it. Not to mention I did 2 processes in one day :nono:. What was I thinking? I used both Textures & Tones AND Dark & Lovely.

I have about 2 inches of virgin hair. If I cut it down to that length, it would be the same as when I first did the BC. I'm thinking of maybe waiting about 2-3 months so that I could gain maybe 2 inches before I cut it off again. I could just continue to twist my hair until then.

The only "new" thing I did was use Indian oils...which are just oils, like how I would use any other oil. So I don't think that could be it, especially after all of the clarifyinig and shampooing I've done since last using them.

I'm just so confused about what could possibly be wrong with my hair.

:cries:

awww I'm so sorry :bighug:
You see that blonde stuff in my hair in the siggy? That ATE UP MY HAIR!!! I used the same brands that you did. My hair was freakin' out. I knew it needed to be cut, but I didn't want to chop all at once. Soooo what I did over 6-9 months was gradually cut it out. I put a dark rinse in and went on about my business. Now when my hair was colored not only did my products not work right, my hair was hard, and splits were everywhere. I ended up cutting a lot each time to prevent dmg to the new growth. It was really hard but I did it. Now almost 2 yrs later I am almost at the length I was at before the color/breakage and cutting. I know it had to be done, but honey do what you feel comfy with even if you cut gradually. You know whatever happens we are here for you :) good luck to you hun.....:grouphug2:

I must say, that even though my hair didn't return alllll the way back to it's normal state, I definitely noticed an improvement, and it looks a whole lot better than it has been for the past couple of weeks.

Glad to hear that you made some progress. I've been reading this thread and keeping hopeful that something would work for you.

Back