I had a major setback! Depressing!!

HoneyDew said:
I hope so. But it is my own fault applying all that heat.

Also, I never applied MN to my hair, just my scalp. I would be concerned if myhair broke off at the scalp, but it is my ends that are breaking more.

oh, well. This was just my wake up call, I guess.

HD can you not wear braids with your new job?

Yes, I can wear braids on my job. It is actually very casual here. I can wear jeans everyday!

But, I had stopped getting braids last year sometime. I do enjoy shampooing and conditioning my own hair, though. I enjoyed the few months that I wore a clip-in piece in my hair. It made it easier to put it up and protect. I took it out at night and moisturized my hair and took care of it. My hair was doing well.

Honestly, I stopped that because my BF prefers that I just wear my own hair. I could do that on the weekends for him, I guess.

Right now, I need protection. I actually called my braider and asked if she could hook me up with something this weekend, but she is booked up.

Time for a plan b!

Sorry about the set back- direct heat is really really bad, especially for fine haired type 4 hair whether relaxed or natural. In fact, in my year + of being a hair board person, I can think of only one person with 3c + hair who flat irons weekly and yet has long hair that's not super thinned out. And seriously, considering that i have my maxiglide, I was not trying to hear this either but the correlation is too obvious to ignore. Each time you put that flat iron on your head, you're disturbing the moisture balance of your hair, so that the cuticle (which was thin to begin with) gets messed up and the hair can no longer retain moisture. Resulting in splits, chronic dryness/brittleness and breakage. So if I were you, I'd drop the flat ironing once a week and really work on learning the rollerset (ponytail or regular). And what's the problem with bunning??? Because if you really want to get serious, you could start conditioning washing, applying oil or butter to your ends and bunning for awhile and then compare the difference in your hair. Just a suggestion...
Oh, I started a 5 month no heat challenge thread as well so I feel your pain

kristina said:
Sorry about the set back- direct heat is really really bad, especially for fine haired type 4 hair whether relaxed or natural. In fact, in my year + of being a hair board person, I can think of only one person with 3c + hair who flat irons weekly and yet has long hair that's not super thinned out. And seriously, considering that i have my maxiglide, I was not trying to hear this either but the correlation is too obvious to ignore. Each time you put that flat iron on your head, you're disturbing the moisture balance of your hair, so that the cuticle (which was thin to begin with) gets messed up and the hair can no longer retain moisture. Resulting in splits, chronic dryness/brittleness and breakage. So if I were you, I'd drop the flat ironing once a week and really work on learning the rollerset (ponytail or regular). And what's the problem with bunning??? Because if you really want to get serious, you could start conditioning washing, applying oil or butter to your ends and bunning for awhile and then compare the difference in your hair. Just a suggestion...
Oh, I started a 5 month no heat challenge thread as well so I feel your pain

My hair is not long/thick enough to get into a decent enough looking bun unfortunately. I need some other no heat options.

No heat would be just the RX for my hair. I need to figure out some options that will allow this.

Braids are really the only thing that I can think of now. I have enjoyed not having braids, but I may have to get some. :ohwell:

HoneyDew said:
My hair is not long/thick enough to get into a decent enough looking bun unfortunately. I need some other no heat options.

No heat would be just the RX for my hair. I need to figure out some options that will allow this.

Braids are really the only thing that I can think of now. I have enjoyed not having braids, but I may have to get some. :ohwell:

*sniff*..but whatabout the no extensions challenge????
Okay, I'll stop being trifling- you mentioned the clip-ons- that seems like a good option.
Also, I know Isis does her hair without heat using the ponytail rollerset method.

kristina said:
*sniff*..but whatabout the no extensions challenge????
Okay, I'll stop being trifling- you mentioned the clip-ons- that seems like a good option.
Also, I know Isis does her hair without heat using the ponytail rollerset method.

I know! I have been enjoying the no extensions challenge. I really don't want to go there.

I may go back to my clip ins at the very least so that I can wear my hair up. I was only use one to give me some thickness in that weak area.

I am actually going to try out the ponytail rollerset this weekend. *fingerscrossed*

WOW!

I just got in from having a very aggressive trim (in my opinion). I got about 1.5 inches cut. My hair feels and looks the way it normally does and there is no breakage.

My hair is not as damaged as it felt, but my ends were JACKED up. It is my own fault.

But, I have really learned a lot about how much heat my hair can really handle.

I am sad that I lost so much with this trim, but this gives me a nice starting point to make some changes!

I have already put on my sleep cap so I will take some pics some time this weekend.

I feel so much better now!!!!!!!!!!

Back