How To Wash Type 4 Hair

Hair_Goddess

Hi everyone! I'm on day 3 with my natural hair. On Saturday, I took my weave out after wearing one for 2 1/2 years and I got a press and curl (which I love by the way). After reading several threads here on LHC, it seems like I will be maintaining my natural hair myself until I can find a really good (and reasonable) hair stylist here in NYC who can do a nice press and curl on a weekly basis.

Sooo, in preparation for my first wash this weekend, I would like to know if you know of any videos or have any good tips on how to wash my Type 4 hair (honestly, I'm not sure if my hair is Type 4 or Type 3. I just know that it's very thick, soft, with small "curly curls"). I know I'm supposed to keep it straight when washing so that it doesn't tangle but that's all I know. I've never washed my natural hair before. :nono:

Also, any helpful tips on which shampoos and conditioners to use to keep my hair soft and strong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A lot of naturals wash in sections. Just part your hair in to 4 or 6 braid it. Then you can either undo the braid wash then re-braid then move on to the next section or just wash your hair whilst still in the braids whilst concetrating on the scalp. These methods reduce tanges

if you wanna go with natural products try:
aubrey organics
giovanni
jane carter solution
mill creek
afroveda
karen's body beautiful (on internet and in Brooklyn)

All of these are at Fairway, Whole Foods, or on the internet

Bumping........

Last edited:
I am a 4a/b and I got the same results as a press n curl with using a blow dryer and flat iron (with LESS breakage and more length retention). So please consider finding a stylist that likes to flat iron natural hair, if you are going to wear it straightened.

Products I wish I knew about when natural: Redken Smooth Down Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave In.

Simply amazing how these products will help you keep your hair in a manageable flat ironed state and they make detangling amazingly simple.

As a deep conditioner: Keracare Humecto (WONDERFUL!)

I'm texlaxed now and I love how LHCF has helped me to attain healthy hair. I hope this helps and best wishes on your hair journey! :yep:

I'm a 4a/4b natural, and I wash my hair in six sections. For advice about how to wash your hair in sections, visit this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426116

In terms of actual products, it's really going to be a matter of what your hair likes and dislikes: Watery vs. creamy products, more natural-based vs. products that aren't very natural-based, maybe your hair likes certain ingredients more than others, etc.

In terms of shampoos and conditioners, I use the following:

Shampoos
Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo (regular shampoo)
V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo (for clarifying)

Conditioners
Karen's Body Beautiful Deep Conditioner (regular moisturizing conditioner after protein treatment)
Aphogee 2-min (light protein treatment)
Aubrey's GPB (light protein treatment that I'm going to start using as a moisturizing conditioner b/c it is beginning to act like a moisturizing conditioner on my hair anyway)

I am a 4a/b and I got the same results as a press n curl with using a blow dryer and flat iron (with LESS breakage and more length retention). So please consider finding a stylist that likes to flat iron natural hair, if you are going to wear it straightened.

Products I wish I knew about when natural: Redken Smooth Down Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave In.

Simply amazing how these products will help you keep your hair in a manageable flat ironed state and they make detangling amazingly simple.

As a deep conditioner: Keracare Humecto (WONDERFUL!)

I'm texlaxed now and I love how LHCF has helped me to attain healthy hair. I hope this helps and best wishes on your hair journey! :yep:
Thanks Lana! Right now, my strategy is to find a "natural hair stylist" who can do a good press and curl for a reasonable price. I figure a natural hair stylist will already be comfortable working with my natural hair state. Hopefully this stylist will also be very knowledgeable about pressing my Type 4 hair and keeping it healthy.

Where can I find Redken and Keracare products? At Sally's Beauty Supply?

Back