How to prevent overlapping when applying relaxer?

Babychoc

I would like to know if I heard this right. I read somewhere before that you can add conditoner to your already relaxed hair to prevent overlapping. Is this true? If so what conditioner? Will any kind do? I just want to make sure that I didn't misread this information. Sorry if I sound a little silly, but I will be relaxing my hair next weekend, and although I always apply my own relaxers with no problems, I still would like to know as much as possible to prevent overlapping. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks girls! Hope everyone is doing great!

Tara

I found some information for you here . It was from a sub group of BHSGO called the Relaxed Sub Club. I'm suprised to see this info around.

Anyway, these ladies really were some research QUEENS. If you do a Control F, and look up overlapping, it will take you right to "Relaxer Touch Ups" and exactly how to do them with the conditioner to prevent overlapping.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edited to add: Well no WONDER the info is so good, peeping the old memebers, I forgot Toda, Adrienne and Tsangle,daviine were part of the Relaxed Sub-Club!! Way to GO ladies!!! I'm actually going to print out this info, this is GREAT stuff!! YOU GO GIRLS!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow seeing all that info, is like looking at an old high school year book. Sniff, sniff o.k. I'm done LOL!

daviine

Oh my goodness......I remember those little meetings we used to have. We had a secretary and all..........I'm getting all nostalgic again........

Thanks for sharing Tara......... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sunshine

At school they taught us to use base. Doesn't Affirm come with "step 1" that protects previously relaxed hair?

keke

Well i wanna do a touchup on my head to but um... last time i got a touchup relaxer was back in mid-Feb. So i guess im what... 12 or 14 weeks or so? :^p lol, Should i go to the hairdresser and have her do it or can i do it at home and from then on keep up w/the 6 weeks regimen?

Karonica

It depends on whether you know it's a job you can do. I'm sure you can, but the question is, Do you want to? LOL! I am disappointed at myself, because I went 9 weeks without a perm, did my own finally, and ended up with underprocessed hair that I can't seem to correct. If I were you (based on my own mistake), I would go to the salon this time, and then upkeep the 6 week regimen.

keke

Ok cool. Yes i was thinking to let THEM do the hair and then catch back up on my 6 weeks regimen. ok ty. Also, yes i wanted to to it but i wasn't fully sure if i should. But ty. :^D

azul11

i was always confused by this. so you base your scalp and then place a heavy oil (what kind??? would olive oil be good?) or cholesterol on the previously relaxed hair. so the only spot that wouldnt be touched would be the new growth correct? is there anything in particular that can be used on the hair like a product. i heard that protein would be good but is there a product in mind. i heard hi pro pac but do you just apply it to your hair like as if it were a leave in. would it dry your hair out?
God bless you all.

C

Cami

What is the 6 week regimine? It sounds like a good maintenance program???

Integrity

you can also avoid overlapping by not relaxing too often!! i think at least an inch to an inch and a half and you will be fine.

Islandgirl

Design Essentials have a product specifically for this. The hairdresser applied this to my all of my hair except the new growth, and it worked, it didn't overlapp.