How to determine your Hair Type

naija24

Hello ladies!!

This may be a dumb question but I think it deserves its own thread. How do you find out what your hair type is?

I assume that I'm 4a or 4b but some ladies have 4a hair taht looks nothing like mine. Others have hair that I would think is a 4 but is really a 3c or something. It's all very confusing for noobz.

This is a picture of my hair (I had zero moisturizer in my hair the last time I was natural). What hair texture is it?

I think if I knew the exact texture, I could determine a proper regimen. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 4%20months%20of%20natural%20hair%20growth.jpg
    4%20months%20of%20natural%20hair%20growth.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 167
Looks like definitely a 4b. Your hair appears to have no identifiable curl pattern or a very cottony hair pattern so perhaps up close each individual strand is doing its own thing. But no clumping, no mass of S's or wave pattern. 4b hair tends to look dull as well. Has nothing to do with the health of your hair but when light reflects off of any object in many different angles (like 4b hair) it will appear dull.

Good luck!

Hi OP,

Welcome newbie!

First, let me start by saying that NO QUESTION IS DUMB!

Here's a good thread that explains it...also google and use the search function on the forum...there's bunches of info re hair typing out there.

You may find that you don't get many responses if your question has been discussed alot. Don't be discouraged if this happens...just do a search for the topic. I suggest you try to search anything you want to know first. Chances are, there's a million threads about it already.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=624927&highlight=hair+type

HTH!

BTW...you look like a 4b/c to me. :yep: Your hair is pretty.

Last edited:
Is that a picked out afro? If not I would say 4b but I think it's less about hair texture but rather your hair attributes (density, thickness, porosity, protein sensitivity, and etc) that helps with establishing a good regimen.

Is that a picked out afro? If not I would say 4b but I think it's less about hair texture but rather your hair attributes (density, thickness, porosity, protein sensitivity, and etc) that helps with establishing a good regimen.

How do you figure that stuff out? I want to start heat training my hair in May or so and I can't do that if I don't know those things, I think.

I would find someone on Youtube who has similar hair and work on a regimen from there.

I know of one fine haired natural that heat trained to waist length. She said it took her longer to reach the length because of damaged hair. She wore box braids all the time. mitzy is her name. Good luck.

Hello ladies. I would like some help in figuring out my hair type so I can perfect my regimen. I'm transitioning and this pic was taken several months ago. I will ne applying my henna tonight so I'll take more pics. The ends have started to curl but my roots are still a fuzzy mess.

ForumRunner_20130221_070313.jpg

ForumRunner_20130221_070054.jpg

Back