How long to wear a weave

For me the minimum is 6 weeks and the max is 3 months. I usually do 2 months most of the time though. But i guess it all depends on what a persons hair can handle.

For me the minimum is 6 weeks and the max is 3 months. I usually do 2 months most of the time though. But i guess it all depends on what a persons hair can handle.

How do you know if your hair can't handle it anymore? new growth, etc. btw, I'm natural.

How do you know if your hair can't handle it anymore? new growth, etc. btw, I'm natural.
If your braids are loose, and they begin to put too much tension of the new growth. Matting, if you are washing too frequently, or just wet the hair a lot, or if it's just that time :look:. trust me, you WILL know when it's past time :lachen:

I'm a natural thick 4A/4B.

I keep it for 3 months depending on who did my weave. If the weaver used a a bit of kanekalon hair to braid my cornrows then it will last for 3 months. Even with twice a month washing and deep conditioning.

Recently, I had no choice( my African weaver went on vacation) and got this chick at Jamaican salon to do a weave bob for me. I don't think it will last to the middle of Oct. :nono:

Waste of $75. :sad:

I'm natural too :grin:. But i guess if you experience a lot of breakage or shedding then you might want to cut down the length of time you leave it in. Oh, and washing/conditioning/moisturizing the hair underneath on a regular basis really helps with the longevity of the weave. With my last two weave installs (over the past four months) I hadn't been taking care of my hair underneath of the weave AT ALL ( i've been too lazy from this pregnancy :nono:) and those weaves didn't last no where near as long as the other ones. I was forced to take them out early because the hair underneath was becoming too dry and brittle.

Last edited:
If your braids are loose, and they begin to put too much tension of the new growth. Matting, if you are washing too frequently, or just wet the hair a lot, or if it's just that time :look:. trust me, you WILL know when it's past time :lachen:

:yep: Yeah, what she said.

Your weave could still look good but your real hair will matte up something terrible if left longer than 3 months.

I'm a natural thick 4A/4B.

I keep it for 3 months depending on who did my weave. If the weaver used a a bit of kanekalon hair to braid my cornrows then it will last for 3 months. Even with twice a month washing and deep conditioning.

Recently, I had no choice( my African weaver went on vacation) and got this chick at Jamaican salon to do a weave bob for me. I don't think it will last to the middle of Oct. :nono:

Waste of $75. :sad:

So is that the average price???...that's pretty good...I'm excited!!!

^^ It depends-- My normal braider (college student who does hair for money) charges me 60.00 for a full sew in..she does a great job-- at a cheap price and I would not replace her for anything- but because she is swamped with summer school and getting back to her city for the upcoming school year-- I am forced to spend 125.00 in a (reputable) salon that normally charges 150.00 but is running an 'August Special' :rolleyes:

A full sew in usually runs anywhere from $80- $300.. depending on who and where..

If you live in Houston-- PM Nichi or Ediese.. their weavestress is the bomb!

For some reason my weaves last longer as a natural. I don't have issues with the new growth showing around the edges. That was usually why I took it out when I was relaxed. Once it started to look old and it became hard for me to blend my hair. My relaxed hair also wasn't used to frequent washing so I was afraid it may matt.

So is that the average price???...that's pretty good...I'm excited!!!

It depends. I've paid anywhere from $50 to $300 over the years. Depends on the stylist. Under $100 is probably going to be done by a student or someone at home. Most braid shops charge $80 to $100. I've seen some salons run specials for $100 weaves. Price doesn't necessarily reflect the quality though. I would go to someone based on recommendation. Don't just let someone tell you they know what you're doing and charge you in the triple digits without some proof. I need to see some pictures, maybe a website, some clients hair, etc. something.

When I was relaxed I could easily go 3 months. But I just took out my first weave as a natural after 14 wks and I wanted to cry. It was bobraz so I was washing every day, doing pre-poos & DCs so I should have known better. Next time I will only leave it in for 2 months.

^^ What happened? Did you experience matting?

Your siggy bobraz install looks nice

Thank you yaya! Yes- lots of tangles especially in the very back. I ended up slathering my hair in coconut oil and used a whole jar of conditioner so it worked out after about 5 hrs.

Thanks guys! I found someone today and I plan to use the Indian Wavy Human Hair that I can flatiron too. I should get it done in another two weeks.

I agree, as a realxed head I could go for 12 weeks with a sew-in. As a natural I can go for only 8-9 weeks with crochet braids. I add more product to my natural hair than I did my relaxed hair (daily sprtiz with chi keratin mist/braid spray/moisturizer).

When I was relaxed I could easily go 3 months. But I just took out my first weave as a natural after 14 wks and I wanted to cry. It was bobraz so I was washing every day, doing pre-poos & DCs so I should have known better. Next time I will only leave it in for 2 months.

Back