How do you know if your hair has too much moisture/protein?

UniquelyDivine

Ok so my hair is breaking like craaazy! I have trimmed my split ends and have been protective styling and laying off the heat,which is quite an accomplishment for me! I usually use the apoghee protein every six weeks but I use redken anti-snap on a regular basis and apoghee green tea & keratin spray about 2x a week, I moisturize with ORS olive oil leave in and seal with wild growth oil or organic coconut oil every other day but I am still having issues, every time I run my fingers through my hair I come away with breakage and when I pull on any strands that shed they snap like a twig :cry:

Hair2Here

Too much moisture gives you mushy hair - needs a little protein. Too much protein gives you snap, crackle and pop kind of breakage (no root) - needs moisture to revert. Protein overload will need extra tlc. Moisture overload will need a shot of Aph. 2-min for two weeks and the hair should be okay.

ORS has protein ingredients. Did not work for me as a natural. Do you know for sure your hair is overloaded with protein?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Ok so my hair is breaking like craaazy! I have trimmed my split ends and have been protective styling and laying off the heat,which is quite an accomplishment for me! I usually use the apoghee protein every six weeks but I use redken anti-snap on a regular basis and apoghee green tea & keratin spray about 2x a week, I moisturize with ORS olive oil leave in and seal with wild growth oil or organic coconut oil every other day but I am still having issues, every time I run my fingers through my hair I come away with breakage and when I pull on any strands that shed they snap like a twig :cry:

wow, i see why you are having the breakage. ors live oil leave in?? and wild growth oil? what the hell?

you need a moisturizer, first start with a deep moisturizing conditioner like ors replenishing pak,. i love my glycerin and to me all glycerin/water based products are really moisturizing.

eta: oh and i would lay off that aphogee spray for a couple of weeks.

i so hope everything works out!

oil was never a moisturizer for me. its just oil.

Last edited:

Hair2Here

Just saw your regimen but don't know if you are still following it.

Regimen Shampoo- 1x week with organix coconut milk shampoo & conditioner, recently tried suave humectant conditioner but not sure how I feel about it just yet.

DC-With silk elements hair mayonnaise also orga

In September, 09, I had a protein overload and my initial regimen for three months was:

Shampoo 1x - Porosty Shampoo
Condition w/Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer
ACV Rinsed
Aphoghee 2-min
DC with Elasta QP, evoo, honey and peppermint oil (40 minutes under dryer)
Put in wash-n-go style.

Was a little concerned about using the Aphogee since it was a proten but I read it helps with closing the cuticle which is why protein overload hair breaks in the middle of the hair shaft, the cuticles are opened. I stuck with this regimen for 3 months exactly and my hair feels good now.

I wish I had never cut my hair though. The only thing that did was give me shorter hair. So open your window and toss yours out!

Last edited:

UniquelyDivine

Too much moisture gives you mushy hair - needs a little protein. Too much protein gives you snap, crackle and pop kind of breakage (no root) - needs moisture to revert. Protein overload will need extra tlc. Moisture overload will need a shot of Aph. 2-min for two weeks and the hair should be okay.

ORS has protein ingredients. Did not work for me as a natural. Do you know for sure your hair is overloaded with protein?

I wouldn't describe it as being mushy, I am not for sure if it overloaded with protein, I'm still kinda new to this so I am trying to find things that works but this breakage is for the birds! I noticed you said it took 3 months, does it typically take that long for hair to snap back from protein overload? I have switched up my reggie a bit, still wash and condition with the organix and I have added honey and oil to my silk elements DC, I let it air dry then I put the ORS olive oil in it, and seal with either coconut oil or wild growth oil.

Last edited:

UniquelyDivine

wow, i see why you are having the breakage. ors live oil leave in?? and wild growth oil? what the hell?

you need a moisturizer, first start with a deep moisturizing conditioner like ors replenishing pak,. i love my glycerin and to me all glycerin/water based products are really moisturizing.

eta: oh and i would lay off that aphogee spray for a couple of weeks.

i so hope everything works out!

oil was never a moisturizer for me. its just oil.

Lol I feel dumb because I guess I didn't realize all this crap had protein! :wallbash:So does the replenishing pak have glycerin in it, also is this a leave in?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Lol I feel dumb because I guess I didn't realize all this crap had protein! :wallbash:So does the replenishing pak have glycerin in it, also is this a leave in?

ors replenishing pak is a DC. its very moisturizing :yep:. i dont know if it had glycerin, but i think you should use glycerin products. like scurl or wave nouveau, and care free curl is my favorite, they are very moistuizinggggggg, oil is not a moisturizer. i remember i put some wild growth oil in my hair back in highschool. wasnt a good look:nono:

im sure wild growth oil is ok for sealing tho. but since i dont seal, i wouldnt really know.

UniquelyDivine

Hurray! Thank you ladies, I feel like I have a clear direction to go now, I prob would have kept on doing what I was doing and terrorizing my poor hair

ceebee3

What you described sounds like protein overload. I agree with everyone else too much protein in your reggie.

When my hair has too much protein it breaks when I run my hands through it and I see little pieces all over the place when I comb.

When it's too much moisture, my hair tends to break in longer pieces and is too strechy, it doesn't bounce back when I stretch it.

Up your moisturizing Deep conditioners and use a moisturizing leave in and you should be fine.

Good luck.

Hair2Here

Hurray! Thank you ladies, I feel like I have a clear direction to go now, I prob would have kept on doing what I was doing and terrorizing my poor hair

Hope everything works well. Yes, I read it does take a little bit so I was prepared. Here's alot of good info.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1476956/protein_and_moisture_balancing_in_black.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
http://chachafance.info/moisture-and-protein-balance-facts