HELP: MY HAIR IS VERY FRAGILE AND BREAKING A LOT

so, about a month ago i ran out of my motions protein conditioner and i decided to try neutrogena conditioner (mistake). So, for like the past month i have not been using much protein, except maybe once used the aphogee 2 min (it does nothing for my hair). so, like about 2 weeks ago my hair starts breaking and shedding a lot! Especially when it's wet, i just touch it and have lots of hair coming out. when it's dry lots of hair still comes out but not as much. on monday i went and bought the aphogee protein treatment and motions protein conditoner and used them both. i just relaxed my hair on thursday and so many strands were in the sink. i think my problem is i need more protein and maybe it will get better by next week. any other suggestions?

I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that you should stick to one protein treatment at a time and follow up with a VERY moisturizing DC. Also, you should have dealt with the breakage before relaxing. I know a lot of people say to relax when you start seeing breakage while stretching but I believe you should deal with the problem before any chemical service.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but use the aphogee 2 step for the breakage and a garlic shampoo for the shedding if it's more than you usually get. HTH

Is the breakage being caused by heat usage?? What is your regimen? I love products with protein in them, but you can't skip out on using a good moisturizing DC. My hair loves Organics hair mayonaise - it strenghthens and softens hair. It has olive oil & egg protein in it. Maybe instead of using a hardcore treatment, you can use something like that. Aphogee tends to make your hair harder, so IMO, it can actually worsen the breakage.

Also, if you are flat-ironing, you may want to try giving that a rest and wearing a bun or a phony-pony for a few weeks while you get your moisture/protein balance in check. Also, make sure you are being super-gentle when you detangle your hair. It can make a HUGE differenc in how much hair you lose.

Also, you should have dealt with the breakage before relaxing. I know a lot of people say to relax when you start seeing breakage while stretching but I believe you should deal with the problem before any chemical service.

Really? I am/was transistioning and I have at least 3 different textures because of overprocessing and then underprocessing. I was going to go to a salon in the next two weeks for a relaxer.

I say go back to what was working and keep using it until your hair is back to where it was

adding a stronger protein might make things worse , or using both.

you know what they say, if it aint broke......

just go back to what was working and give it some time to strengthen and recover, these things dont usually happen overnight

any time you switch up products, it can take a bit of time for your hair to get used to them. my hair feels a bit weaker after my relaxer services, and when i start right away with the protein, i don't see much of a difference. but after a few uses of the protein conditioner, my hair feels stronger, and i notice much less breakage. consistency is the key in whatever you do.

I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that you should stick to one protein treatment at a time and follow up with a VERY moisturizing DC. Also, you should have dealt with the breakage before relaxing. I know a lot of people say to relax when you start seeing breakage while stretching but I believe you should deal with the problem before any chemical service.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but use the aphogee 2 step for the breakage and a garlic shampoo for the shedding if it's more than you usually get. HTH

Everything she said.

Back