HELP!!! My hair is shedding and thinning like crazy!!!

SpyCats

I am at my wits end. My hair has been shedding for about 2 months now and it is visibly thinning out.

I prepoo my hair with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner then I wash and condition with Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo and Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring treatment. Then I twist with shea butter and Giovanni direct Leave-In conditioner. I felt such a tightening in my chest last night as I detangled my hair in the shower (something I always do) and saw the amount of hair that came out. I am so stressed out that I don't know what to do.

I started on an exercise regimen about two months ago and I thought that my hair was going to look and feel better but just the opposite is happening (I am not blaming the exercising on my hair loss).

The search function isn't working (as usual) but I welcome any and al suggestions on what I should do to improve the health of my hair and scalp.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Could it be all the protein that you are using? I know the reconstructive treatment has protein and Giovanni Direct leave-in is a protein conditioner. Try deep-conditioning in place of the reconstructive treatment. Maybe that willn help...

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
How are you eating? Have you changed your diet (trying to lose weight)?

This happened to me and it took me almost a year of terrible hair loss to realize that it was my diet.

I was on a restricted diet and I wasn't getting the proper nutrients (pre-LHCF). I was hard-headed even though the instructions for the program stressed the importance of taking vitamins to offset the loss of nutrients when ceasing certain foods. I said, "I don't need any vitamins!"

SpyCats

How are you eating? Have you changed your diet (trying to lose weight)?

This happened to me and it took me almost a year of terrible hair loss to realize that it was my diet.

I was on a restricted diet and I wasn't getting the proper nutrients (pre-LHCF). I was hard-headed even though the instructions for the program stressed the importance of taking vitamins to offset the loss of nutrients when ceasing certain foods. I said, "I don't need any vitamins!"

I'm not trying to lose weight per se but I have changed my diet a bit, I have cut out red meat and pork, trying to eat smaller meals during the day and
I am trying to incorporate some type of protein with every meal. I have been taking vitamins but not consistently (that wlll definitely change though).

Gosh, I cant believe this is happening.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

BrownSkin2

I'm not trying to lose weight per se but I have changed my diet a bit, I have cut out red meat and pork, trying to eat smaller meals during the day and
I am trying to incorporate some type of protein with every meal. I have been taking vitamins but not consistently (that wlll definitely change though).

I'm sorry to hear you are going thru such a hard time with your hair. Red meat and pork are a big part of your iron and protein intake, and if your are not supplementing it with other intakes of iron or vitamins it will definitely show in your hair with shedding and thinning. It sounds ot me like its your diet. Hope it gets better for you.

yodie

I am at my wits end. My hair has been shedding for about 2 months now and it is visibly thinning out.

I prepoo my hair with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner then I wash and condition with Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo and Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring treatment. Then I twist with shea butter and Giovanni direct Leave-In conditioner. I felt such a tightening in my chest last night as I detangled my hair in the shower (something I always do) and saw the amount of hair that came out. I am so stressed out that I don't know what to do.

I started on an exercise regimen about two months ago and I thought that my hair was going to look and feel better but just the opposite is happening (I am not blaming the exercising on my hair loss).

The search function isn't working (as usual) but I welcome any and al suggestions on what I should do to improve the health of my hair and scalp.

Maybe you should go get checked out. I say this because of the tightening feeling in your chest.

SpyCats

I'm sorry to hear you are going thru such a hard time with your hair. Red meat and pork are a big part of your iron and protein intake, and if your are not supplementing it with other intakes of iron or vitamins it will definitely show in your hair with shedding and thinning. It sounds ot me like its your diet. Hope it gets better for you.

I think you are right Brownskin. As I typed out that post it hit me :wallbash: (a light bulb moment) I believe it may just be my diet.

SpyCats

Maybe you should go get checked out. I say this because of the tightening feeling in your chest.

The tightening in my chest was a reaction (sickening) from seeing the amount of hair that came out when I was washing/detangling my hair.

Traycee

I work out often .....and if I don't wash often or co-wash I shed a lot .....I believe it is from the sweat...The sweat contains salt and toxins that your body rids itself of.......

RubyWoo

ITA! Shedding issues almost always stem from internal issues.

SpyCats

I work out often .....and if I don't wash often or co-wash I shed a lot .....I believe it is from the sweat...The sweat contains salt and toxins that your body rids itself of.......

I will definitely try co-washing a couple of times during the week, then washing with shampoo on my normal wash day...it can't hurt.

Isis

I agree with the other ladies about your diet. It's so important to make sure your are eating healthy foods each day, whether dieting or not. It's very important to get enough protein in your diet. One way to make sure you are getting enough is to get whey protein and make shakes or smoothies with it. :yep:

Also, as one of the ladies mentioned, make sure you are not anemic. Low red blood cells result in a lot of shedding and thinning also. If you suspect that, see your doctor for a blood test. The doctor will recommend taking iron supplements. I had to do that several years ago because of major shedding and breakage. The iron stopped it in its tracks. It's important to make sure that low iron is the problem--too much iron also can cause hair to shed and it can be dangerous.

SpyCats

I agree with the other ladies about your diet. It's so important to make sure your are eating healthy foods each day, whether dieting or not. It's very important to get enough protein in your diet. One way to make sure you are getting enough is to get whey protein and make shakes or smoothies with it. :yep:

Also, as one of the ladies mentioned, make sure you are not anemic. Low red blood cells result in a lot of shedding and thinning also. If you suspect that, see your doctor for a blood test. The doctor will recommend taking iron supplements. I had to do that several years ago because of major shedding and breakage. The iron stopped it in its tracks. It's important to make sure that low iron is the problem--too much iron also can cause hair to shed and it can be dangerous.

Thank you Isis, I have iron supplements and I immediately started taking them. However, I will stop them right away. I had blood work done some time in February so I will call my doctor to get the results (of the iron especially) because I don't recall what he said regarding the iron portion.