HELP! I went to beach yesterday and my hair feels like hay

xmzxtashax

i need some deep conditioning but im not sure what exactly. i know it would have to be moisturizing correct?. oh and btw im 80 texlaxed and 20% bone straight.
*tia :)

I had the SAME problem. I was going to post a question about before and after hair-care for the beach for future purposes but decided not to because I forgot and my hair went my hair went back to it's normal state anyway.

Okay this is what I did, you can tweak to fit your needs but this is what worked when my hair felt like grass and works for me in general.

1. DETANGLE (I detangle on dry hair, I know some people don't but it works for me. I split my hair in half, detangled both sides, and just left it as is.)

2. Wash with a moisturizing shampoo (I used Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo then applied to both halves and washed my hair that way, keeping my hair in half. The sides of my hair are prone to tangling especially when dry or when I have new growth, in this case I had both. Also, since I went to the beach and ended up with the driest hair I've ever known I didn't want matting so keeping your hair in halves helps.)

3. Deep Condition (I used Aussie Moist Conditioner with around 2 tablespoons of EVOO and ACV added. Since olive oil is one of the few oils proven that can actually penetrate the hair strand other than avocado and coconut oil, I figured it would do some good. You can add whatever oil(s) you like though. I added the apple cider vinegar to seal my cuticles and restore the pH balance in my hair.)

ETA: When deep conditioning I placed a plastic cap on my head then a shower cap over it to really seal in any heat to help with the conditioning process.

Afterward, my hair was EASY to detangle and felt SO soft after. Even my ends felt moisturized. Like I said, you can tweak this to your liking, I hope I helped or at least provided a guideline. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I spent all day at the beach yesterday too so i know how you feel. After I'm done swimming I always rinse my hair really well, I shampoo and condition at the beach if possible if not I do it as soon as I get home. I always use a moisturizing conditioner. My hair always ends up soft with no tangles. Good luck.

For future reference, the best thing to do is apply a moisturizing conditioner to your hair 15-30 minutes before you enter the water. By doing this your hair will soak up the conditioner and it will not have the ability to absorb the sea or pool water.

After, rinse the hair out on spot and then apply a normalizing (swimmers) shampoo. After the shampoo is rinsed out, apply either the same or another moisturizing conditioner to the hair. At home continue with the normal wash routine.

Right now the best thing to do is listen to your hair and see what it wants. I would say use a moisturizing deep conditioner but your hair may want a balancing conditioner. This link has a list of deep conditioners and it also indicates which ones have protein in them.

Deep Conditioner Challenge

There are lots of hair products that contain UVA/UVB filters to protect hair. I use one by loreal pro vive . Drink LOTS of water and moisturize your hair before and after intense sun exposure.

I just came back from barbados a couple days ago and I was at the beach everyday. I just wash and deep condition with a super moisturizing DC. No problems. None of the "pre-beach" hair preparation. I washed and conditioned everyday I was at the beach.

I always wet my hair and apply conditioner before going in the water. I find that it helps tremendously. I haven't used a swimmers type of shampoo, but I know Aubrey Organics has one and its supposed to be good.

When I had Chlorine damage don't know if it is the same.

I came home I clarified my hair, shampooed with Nexxus Therappee, Put on Silk elements Megasilk Treatment under a heating cap for 3 hours, without rinsing put Amla oil in it for 30 minutes rinsed it out and styled it, my hair softened up something great. I did it again the following week.

By week 3 I no longer used the Amla oil but kept up the SE MEgasilk treatments :)

Add oil and honey to your DC.

If I were going to the pool or the beach I would wet my hair, slather with conditioner and put vaseline or hair grease on top of that and put it in a bun.

Back