Have to get rid of all of my products...

pink gator

...because apparently none of them were working for me.

I had a wash and cut at a new salon yesterday. The stylist used Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint shampoo, DC'd with Super Charged Conditioner, and applied The Conditioner as a leave-in. She used NO wrap lotion, mousse or serum.

After drying my hair, she sectioned each part and sprayed Tension Spray (meant for kids) and flat ironed it. My hair shone and moved and had so much body! :lick:

The stylist told me that since I have really fine relaxed hair, I was overprocessing it with too many products that are suited for thicker textures, thus damaging it. She added that I didn't need oils or heavy creams that weigh my hair down.

So, I ran to Ulta and bought the same products she used. So I have 3.5 years worth of products that I can't use anymore. I'll just keep my Aphogee Protein products and I'll use up the rest of my Dominican condishes.

Anyone ever had to do a TOTAL redo of their hair products?

You can put that stuff on the product exchange area of the board. When I move in Fall, I'm getting rid of most of the stuff I have now...not that it's not working, but I just use way too much. My favorite product line is Aveda...if I used only that line, my hair would be better off. I wish there was ONE fully inclusive line that I could use, but it never works out that way.

Instead I currently use KeraCare, Hairveda, Elasta QP, Rusk Sensories, and probably some more products I can't think of. In the past 12 months, I've also used SoftSheen Carson, Paul Mitchell, Suave, Mizani, Phyto, Wen, Hair One...really too much to name :-/. It's going to take me a minute to use this stuff up. I'm accelerating the process by sharing/giving away stuff to my sister and my mom. I'm also trying not buying anything else.

None of these brands are bad...I really like them all, especially Hairveda and KeraCare.

Wow! You have some stuff!!! I got rid of a lot of items when I moved last year, but bought some more stuff since then.

I'm with you; I was hoping that I could find an inclusive line, too, but ended up buying all sorts of other brands, but didn't really get the "salon results" I was hoping for.

Good idea about the exchange board. I'm going to try to give away stuff to my friends here and go from there.

I've never done a total overhaul in one go. I just gradually used up or gave out those products that weren't working for me. I would suggest though that you give stuff away gradually rather than dropping all your products except you are positive they absolutely will never ever work for you.

I can't tell you how many times I've given away a product only to have to head back to the store to buy another bottle of it because my hair felt like it needed it. These days I just keep those products that work sometimes, and surely enough they come back into the rotation.

I know exactly how you feel. I am so lucky that all of my stapes are from KeraCare. Aside from those products, I only have avocado butter and 2 oils that I use regularly. I am trying to use up my stash but I might get frustrated and trash all of it.

What items do you feel didn't work for you? I would wait a wash or two before I got rid of everything. Any pics of the new style?

I am using up my stash but in the process searching for a line that will work for me. I believe by October I will find my line.

Keep your goodies, you never know when you may need something in there. I go through cycles using different sets of product, even the season can mean a change in product, so I throw nothing out and have really put a dent in my stash by not having to buy much.

No never had a complete overhaul. The products that didn't work for me I would still see different ways of how they could work like maybe dilute it in water or oil or use less or mix with this or that... anything that I didn't want I gave away or let my family use.

What items do you feel didn't work for you? I would wait a wash or two before I got rid of everything. Any pics of the new style?

Me, too. Sometimes soft/treated salon H20 can make a lot of difference, too if you have hard water at home. I have had the same products work better or worse (both:ohwell:) from the salon once I got home bc the water in my home was not as soft, etc. as the water in the salon. I would try using less first before I chucked it all out...

I did, but I used up almost all my products first and then I bought my Dominican conditioners and Joico silk result. The only thing from the new set of products I bought that I will be repurchasing is Silicon Mix. It's the only product that I seen change my hair instantly. The others I don't have time to waste.

i would do it if i had the cash! i dont have a stash so it would be kind of easy to do it at this point....

I Agree with the other Ladies.:grin: You never know, you may come up with just the right Combo in the Stash you already have.

Put them away and revisit them at a later date.:yep:

You can also always try to Swap/Trade a few things and list them on the exchange board.

I agree with the one Poster that said she gave something away, and later re-bought it.:look:

So, just play it by ear, incorporate one or 2 things, and keep a notebook of the results, before you invest in a Total Overhaul.:yep:

Try using LESS!!!

Alot of times product just plain weighs the hair down, no matter what it is. The stylist is right, so instead of using a gob of product, use a dime size or 2/3 pumps instead of a palm full.

Product costs. (unless you only have $1 Suave or Lustrasilk)

I think you should keep your stash and just use less of the styling products. Swingy, shiny, salon hair usually comes from very light application of product. I made that change and got (close to) salon results at home. You don't have to use the exact same everything your stylist uses, just learn the right combo and amounts you need for the desired results.

I've never done a total overhaul in one go. I just gradually used up or gave out those products that weren't working for me. I would suggest though that you give stuff away gradually rather than dropping all your products except you are positive they absolutely will never ever work for you.

I can't tell you how many times I've given away a product only to have to head back to the store to buy another bottle of it because my hair felt like it needed it. These days I just keep those products that work sometimes, and surely enough they come back into the rotation.

That's a great idea! I've invested a lot of research and money on my stuff just to get rid of them like that. But on the real, I always wondered why my hair loses its swang and gets weighed down/gummy so easily.

I'll keep an eye out.

I know exactly how you feel. I am so lucky that all of my stapes are from KeraCare. Aside from those products, I only have avocado butter and 2 oils that I use regularly. I am trying to use up my stash but I might get frustrated and trash all of it.

I'm realizing that one good thing about staying with one salon-quality brand is that every product complements each other, so that's a really good thing.

Moroccan Oil and the One and Only version; complete line
Mizani Butter Blends
Nairobi Foaming Wrap Lotion
It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In
Alterna Bamboo Spray Oil
LeKair Cholesterol
Aveda Damage Remedy
L'Oreal Everpure

...and a few more. Silicon Mix conditoner, Kolestral, and La Bomba still work for me.

These are products I've had for a while and kept because LHCFers raved about them and I was hoping for a similar miracle, so I kept using them.

I'm going to get some pics up later. I actually colored my hair with Clairol Textures & Tones Cherrywood and an ION demiperm clear coat last night. It's a short bob.

Me, too. Sometimes soft/treated salon H20 can make a lot of difference, too if you have hard water at home. I have had the same products work better or worse (both:ohwell:) from the salon once I got home bc the water in my home was not as soft, etc. as the water in the salon. I would try using less first before I chucked it all out...

Makes plenty sense! I actually used the products last night and this morning, and I got the same results the stylist gave! :grin:

I did, but I used up almost all my products first and then I bought my Dominican conditioners and Joico silk result. The only thing from the new set of products I bought that I will be repurchasing is Silicon Mix. It's the only product that I seen change my hair instantly. The others I don't have time to waste.

My hair :lick: Silicon Mix! That's a keeper!

Try using LESS!!!

Alot of times product just plain weighs the hair down, no matter what it is. The stylist is right, so instead of using a gob of product, use a dime size or 2/3 pumps instead of a palm full.

Product costs. (unless you only have $1 Suave or Lustrasilk)

OK. I am guilty of this! I've been using palmfuls of product! :blush:

I'm going to be more conservative with my application from now on.

Back