HAIR MYTHS: TRUE OR FALSE...

Seeking8Rights

I found this article addressing various hair myths and thought it was interesting. Do you think the answers to these hair myths are true or false according to your OWN personal experiences...

Hair Care Myths
By Michael Barrowsa

Those hair care myths just keep coming! In this third of 3 articles, we examine some of the most widely known myths and dig out the truth. I know I've believed a few in my day!

1. Hair should be washed every day
FALSE: There is no correct schedule for washing hair... Every person should shampoo according to the specific needs of their hair type and texture. While some people do benefit from a daily shampoo, others benefit from a variety of shampooing schedules.

2. More lather = a more effective shampoo = cleaner hair
</B>FALSE: Lathering agents are often added to shampoos, but more foam doesn't mean cleaner hair.

3. Hair develops immunity to the same shampoo over time
FALSE: There is no scientific evidence to prove this myth.

4. Brushing your hair is better than combing it
FALSE: Actually, your hair reacts better to a comb than a brush. Brushing it will only lead to split ends and hair breakage.

5. Split ends can be repaired without trimming
FALSE: The only successful treatment for removing split ends is with a scissors. Some hair care products may temporarily merge split ends together, but this only lasts until your next shampoo. Always remember that damaged ends tend to grow slower than healthy, well-maintained, trimmed hair.

6. Coloring hair during pregnancy is harmful
FALSE (PROBABLY): Some physicians disagree, but most believe that coloring the hair during pregnancy is not dangerous to the baby. When in doubt always get your physician?s permission to color your hair during pregnancy. Most experts believe that the key danger with hair coloring is not the application of the product to the scalp but the inhalation of the strong chemical odor.

7. Virgin root hair should be treated differently
TRUE: The hair that is closest to the roots reacts differently to the application of new hair color and chemical treatments. Hair color applied directly to the roots will process differently that color applied on hair that has already been treated.

8. Lemon juice will bleach hair blonde
FALSE: Some naturally light haired people may notice a slight lightening or brightening after prolonged sun exposure soaked in lemon juice, but most people wont not see any obvious change in their hair lightness or brightness.

9. A sunburnt scalp can lead to hair loss
TRUE: Severe sunburn or a series of burns that occur over time may damage delicate hair follicles at the root level. People with a genetic predisposition towards hair loss may accelerate the onset of hair loss activity. Avoid scalp burns by applying sun protection products to your scalp along with your hair.

10. For thick, shiny hair, eat a diet that's rich in iron and protein
FALSE: Iron deficiency can cause hair loss, but dermatologists say the reverse is not true: eating extra iron will not give you thick hair. In fact, overloading on iron can cause serious health problems (the correct amount for optimal health is about 15 milligrams a day for a woman). The same thing is true with protein. Dermatologists say protein-deficiency will cause lackluster skin and brittle hair. It's important to get enough protein, but eating more than normal won't make hair any shinier.

11. Wearing hats causes hair loss
FALSE: In order for the hair to fall out, the hat would have to be so tight that it cuts circulation to the follicles. Milliners can breathe a collective sigh of relief!

12. Hormones are not related to hair loss
TRUE: Although hormonal imbalance can cause temporary hair loss, as is common with women after pregnancy, the important thing to remember is that the hair will grow back.

13. Swimming pool chemicals can turn hair green
TRUE: Frequent swimmers with natural blonde or chemically highlighted hair that is extremely porous may experience the development of green tints and shades over time. This problem can be prevented with regular use of moisturizing shampoo and conditioners that provides a natural barrier to chlorine and related chemicals.

14. Hair grows faster on different parts of the head
TRUE: There is some scientific evidence that the growth rate of hair may vary on different parts of the head for select people. There is also some indication that the growth rate of hair on babies may be faster on the crown than on any other parts of the scalp. Usually the growth rate differences are very marginal and will not impact the hair appearance in any way.

yes, i think the responses to the hair myths are true.
It took me a while to realize #2 from my experience.

KhandiB said:
Can I add.. You cannot wash a relaxer out :lol:

This isn't true but I can see why people believe it. Many of the ladies on this board agree that more frequent washes can increase the health/growth of your hair so.... if you wash it more often and it grows faster you'll have more NG sooner. :look:

ETA: I agree with everything except 11. IMO it depends on the hat. If you wear a wool skully in the winter (or anytime for that matter) you very well can experience breakage. It's the same idea as your hair rubbing on your clothes. The hat doesn't have to be tight enough to cut off circulation to cause friction.

Last edited:
1. Hair should be washed every day
FALSE: I AGREE...there is no right shedule for every single person.
2. More lather = a more effective shampoo = cleaner hair
FALSE: I DISAGREE, I found that when my hair is very dirty, my shampoo won't lather. The fact that the shampoo lathers let's me know my hair is clean.

3. Hair develops immunity to the same shampoo over time
FALSE: I have not found this to be true.
4. Brushing your hair is better than combing it
FALSE: I DISAGREE, I think that rough combing or rough brushing causes split ends...but I don't think cobs are better because they usually have more seams.

FALSE: I AGREE...got to cut 'em.

6. Coloring hair during pregnancy is harmful
FALSE (PROBABLY): I have no idea.

7. Virgin root hair should be treated differently
TRUE: I AGREE...natural hair reacts differently than hair that has been chemically altered.

8. Lemon juice will bleach hair blonde
FALSE: I AGREE.

9. A sunburnt scalp can lead to hair loss
TRUE: I AGREE, you scalp is skin and will need to shed (loose hair) just like any other piece of skin.

10. For thick, shiny hair, eat a diet that's rich in iron and protein
FALSE: I have no idea.

11. Wearing hats causes hair loss
FALSE: I DISAGREE, I think that the rubbing of your hair against a hat contstantly would cause breakage and hair loss. I mean, look at Tiger.

12. Hormones are not related to hair loss
TRUE: I DISAGREE...I don't believe the hair loss is permanent...but the hair is definitely affected.

13. Swimming pool chemicals can turn hair green
TRUE: I have no idea.

14. Hair grows faster on different parts of the head
TRUE: I AGREE.

14. [14. Hair grows faster on different parts of the head
TRUE: There is some scientific evidence that the growth rate of hair may vary on different parts of the head for select people. There is also some indication that the growth rate of hair on babies may be faster on the crown than on any other parts of the scalp. Usually the growth rate differences are very marginal and will not impact the hair appearance in any way.]

This drives me crazy. I have a lot of NG at the top of my head, but almost none in the back. :lol:

I'd have to agree with most of it, though I'm a bit iffy about #5. I've seen too many heads of hair turn completely around from proper deep conditioning, moisturizing, and protective styles to say it's completely false.

kittenz said:
This isn't true but I can see why people believe it. Many of the ladies on this board agree that more frequent washes can increase the health/growth of your hair so.... if you wash it more often and it grows faster you'll have more NG sooner. :look:

I think what KhandiB was alluding to was that some people think that if you increas the times you wash, some people believe that ALL the hair will go back natural, not just the new growth.

B_Phlyy said:
I'd have to agree with most of it, though I'm a bit iffy about #5. I've seen too many heads of hair turn completely around from proper deep conditioning, moisturizing, and protective styles to say it's completely false.

I think what KhandiB was alluding to was that some people think that if you increas the times you wash, some people believe that ALL the hair will go back natural, not just the new growth.

I understood what she meant. What I was saying is that when the NG appears people who don't know better could mistake it for their relaxer being washed out and causing their roots to get nappy again. :confused: Is this more clear? Like I said I agree with Khandi, but I can understand the root of this myth.

ETA: I used to believe this when I was younger but as far as thinking All the hair would revert... I guess I knew better. I could whip out my curlers and that stuff would be a slick as ever. My ends may have been shot but the shaft was smooooth.

Last edited:
kittenz said:
I understood what she meant. What I was saying is that when the NG appears people who don't know better could mistake it for their relaxer being washed out and causing their roots to get nappy again. :confused: Is this more clear? Like I said I agree with Khandi, but I can understand the root of this myth.

ETA: I used to believe this when I was younger but as far as thinking All the hair would revert... I guess I knew better. I could whip out my curlers and that stuff would be a slick as ever. My ends may have been shot but the shaft was smooooth.

Oh, see I though you were talking about people who distinctly knew the difference between NG and reversion and were still thinking the relaxer would wash out. No biggie.

booooo...on number 5!

FALSE: The only successful treatment for removing split ends is with a scissors. Some hair care products may temporarily merge split ends together, but this only lasts until your next shampoo. Always remember that damaged ends tend to grow slower than healthy, well-maintained, trimmed hair.

While I do agree that split ends an't be repaired only fused together, I don't agree with the last part...how in the world is he making a correlation between how fast hair grows and having split ends? hair doesnt grow from the ends...maybe he meant to say that damaged hair will appear to grow slower because it's constantly breaking :confused:

B_Phlyy said:
Oh, see I though you were talking about people who distinctly knew the difference between NG and reversion and were still thinking the relaxer would wash out. No biggie.

Too bad things seem so clear in my head and then when I say them (or type them) I'm like "that made no sense" or worse the listener/reader is like "that made no sense". Either way, glad I could clear that up.:)

Back on topic: I've heard that using a plastic cap over your entire head for extended periods (overnight/ all day) can suffocate your hair follicles (sp).? What do you guys think?:ohwell:

FlawedBeauty said:
booooo...on number 5!

While I do agree that split ends an't be repaired only fused together, I don't agree with the last part...how in the world is he making a correlation between how fast hair grows and having split ends? hair doesnt grow from the ends...maybe he meant to say that damaged hair will appear to grow slower because it's constantly breaking :confused:

:lachen: For some reason this is sooo funny. Good point.

Back