Hair Care Help - Per Usual - Short Novel

Good Afternoon All!

I'm new to this community, day 1 actually, and i have a few questions. I don't know my hair texture, but i have a few photos that might help.

I used to relax my hair, but it was really thin and never grew past the base of my neck

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v64/244/32/16409631/n16409631_30837320_3369.jpg

My ends remained split and i got disgruntled. I decided to go Natural and began my transition, ended up in hair extensions. The morning i took them out [may 24, 07] , i washed my hair, felt my new growth under the relaxed portion, wigged out and chopped the permed section off..

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v74/244/32/16409631/n16409631_31037695_7335.jpg

At this point i was at a loss.. I honestly relied on pink lotion, the curling iron and vaseline to style my hair when it was longer and Whatever was in the bathroom was my shampoo and conditioner.. but my natural hair was not trying to hear that.

So I bought some S Curl products.. And it was icky.. so i left it alone and fro'd for a while..

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v74/244/32/16409631/n16409631_31098850_4913.jpg

My hair grows funny.. so the fro lopsided itself and i was back on a product hunt, until then i was using water, conditioner and vaseline.. I ran into Miss Jessie's on my train ride.. cool, invested and was satified with the products.. actually.. thrilled..

Dec 09
W/ Jessies http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/xXSweetreatxX/DSC03796.jpg

W/o product http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/xXSweetreatxX/DSC03893.jpg

But desired more.. I didnt like the buildup that resulted from the use of the products, and although when i washed my hair, it felt okay, it never really felt.. right..

Plus i had been using Qhemet Biologics before that, and wanted to go back to something all natural..

So i just pushed my hair back and let it be.

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v1584/24/76/507511541/n507511541_1654618_5937.jpg

But again, in late january, i wigged out and cut it all off.. :lachen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/xXSweetreatxX/DSC03942.jpg

I've begun using kinky and curly because it's Natural.. and i heard rave reviews, but i dont like how icky it gets..

Has anyone used kinky curly shampoo and conditioner in conjunction with something else, anything else that doesnt get so sticky, but still allows for the curl definition that we all seek, preferably something natural.

I'm itching to cut my hair again actually.. but i'm trying not to, i actually want a crazy mane of semi curly hair some day soon, so i'm getting tree braids for the first time on sunday :: Does the first time dance :: ..But as soon as i take those out, i know i'm going to get frantic.

Help Please!

Thanks.

darlingdiva

Welcome aboard!!!:yep:

I honestly don't know what to tell you, but I'm sure that some of the hair care experts will be along soon.

Cassandra1975

I've never used any of the Kinky-Coily products...I gave up on trying to have "curly" hair a long time ago, 'cause my hair doesn't curl.

It looks like you did get some good curl definition with the Miss Jessies, but I understand how you feel about the product build up (not to mention the price). Just wanted to stop by and say hey, and I hope you find what you're looking for! :wave:

SEMO

Welcome to the board. :)

I loved the hair story with photo commentary. Personally I don't use natural products (though I've used Qhemet Biologics in the past and loved those products). It's for convenience's sake. I like to use products I can go to a local store and get, not order online. But that's just me.

For curl definition I've found a few things that work excellently for me: Garnier Fructis curl & shine (the shampoo and conditioner), Cantu shea butter makes my curls pop, Texture My Way Curl Keeper holds the curls in place without frizz, using a Denman brush (from Sally's) really shapes and defines my curls, and finally IC Fantasia gel w/ Sparkelites (the blue one is more moisturizing than the clear one).

I do NOT use all those products at once. That would be too much to put on my hair at once. And it particular the Cantu and IC Fantasia do NOT mix well (don't put those on at the same time or you will get white balls of product buildup that's hard to get out). I usually only use one product to make my curls pop at any given time (excluding use the Denman brush and maybe the shampoo and conditioner).

Sorry none of those products are natural. But I do find that they work for me. Good luck to you on your hair journey. Feel free to contact me by pm or something if you have questions about anything I've said (I'm not always the best at checking back on threads).

Fine 4s

Is anyone adopting newbies out there?

The first main ingredient you'll need is PATIENCE.
The second is simple. If you want to have a mane of curly hair then STOP CUTTING IT! Deal with it the way it is. That means, rock your curly fro for as long as you want. Search for different styles that you like and get them professionally done or learn how to do them yourself.

Invest in a wig so you don't have to be bothered w/ your hair (at least during the day). I'm not big on weaves or braids but hey if it works for you play with that from time to time and do it the RIGHT way (growafrohairlong.com).

Set small goals (because you sound like you have time for all that patience stuff). By the summertime I want to be here...by the fall here...etc. But you can't be disappointed if you do NOT get there - what's the point you ask? The point of setting the goal is to propel you forward. However, the more you learn about your hair the more realistic measures/goals you can set. For example try and determine your growth rate so you can estimate better.

Take pictures to encourage you. And look for inspiration on this board there's plenty!

Have fun wit it every step of the way. This is where creativity comes in. Learn it.

SEMO

Is anyone adopting newbies out there?

The first main ingredient you'll need is PATIENCE.
The second is simple. If you want to have a mane of curly hair then STOP CUTTING IT! Deal with it the way it is. That means, rock your curly fro for as long as you want. Search for different styles that you like and get them professionally done or learn how to do them yourself.

Invest in a wig so you don't have to be bothered w/ your hair (at least during the day). I'm not big on weaves or braids but hey if it works for you play with that from time to time and do it the RIGHT way (growafrohairlong.com).

Set small goals (because you sound like you have time for all that patience stuff). By the summertime I want to be here...by the fall here...etc. But you can't be disappointed if you do NOT get there - what's the point you ask? The point of setting the goal is to propel you forward. However, the more you learn about your hair the more realistic measures/goals you can set. For example try and determine your growth rate so you can estimate better.

Take pictures to encourage you. And look for inspiration on this board there's plenty!

Have fun wit it every step of the way. This is where creativity comes in. Learn it.

I think there have been a couple of threads where newbies (natural and relaxed) are looking to be adopted. If you're up to adopting newbies maybe you should put something about that in your siggy. I'm sure there are a ton of those new to the board and haircare in general that would love a good big hair sister.

I've adopted a few newbies in the past (and keep up with them occasionally nowadays). But I'm always open to being contacted by newbies or others with natural hair questions (or general hair questions). I like to be helpful if I can be. :yep:

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me. I'm working on a real regimen now, trying to figure out exactly what my hair needs.