Grow out perm or cut relaxed ends

laurend085

I am about to start stretching/or transitioning my perms. My hair is in a short bob cut with a shaved nape so I dont feel the need to do a BC. My question is do you trim off the relaxer as you go or will it just grow out on it's own as the new growth comes in. I just don't want to cut my hair at all unless it's for split ends.

That's a personal decision that none of us here can make. It all depends on what's best for you and your hair. If you don't want to do the big chop, then by all means DON'T DO IT! I'm transitioning without the big chop...in fact, I won't be cutting off my relaxed ends as I go neither! If you feel that you can manage dealing with the two different textures until you're ready to cut off your relaxed ends, then so be it.

I agree with the ladies... it's your decision.

Your hair will grow regardless :yep:

I'd say don't make a hasty decision... think long and hard about it... Goodluck!

I know its my decision I just didn't know the differences like which is healthier or which will allow your hair to grow longer

I know its my decision I just didn't know the differences like which is healthier or which will allow your hair to grow longer
well which ever causes less damage but again that's different for everyone. Your hair will grow no matter what, I guess the name of the game is retention. What's easiest for you to do..

Theres no decision thats "healthier" or will "make your hair grow longer" I personally decided to do a long term transition, I never cut it at all the permed ends just fell off in their own time and before I knew it I had fully natural hair past APL.

I also love the idea of a fresh start that the ladies who have BCed get and it also allows you to familiarize yourself with you own unque hair and its likes ad dislikes better when thats all you have on your head and you dont have to deal with blending.

Either way your hair will grow as long as your taking the proper steps and taking care of it. The decision weather to do a BC or a Long term Transition is all about preference on how to start your natural journey. There is no better decision, just preference on how to start on the journey to the natural you:yep:

Last edited:
If you don't want to BC (like you stated in your original post), there are a lot of transitioning threads that you can get a lot of information form (like I did).

Neither way will make your hair grow quicker...

If you transition, instead of BC'ing, would you like to wear you hair out or do braids/weaves or wear wigs? There are so many options out there for you... Do a search for 'Transition', 'Transitioners', 'Transitioning'. Also 'BC Thread Tracker' to see recent BC'ers.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the decision is absolutely up to you.. Personally I transitioned for 2 years trimming as I went along because I couldn't bare to cut my hair short and start from scratch. It worked out well for me, and if you have to patience I say go for it, if u just want a fresh start then go for a BC...

Good Luck!

I have to agree that the decision is absolutely up to you.. Personally I transitioned for 2 years trimming as I went along because I couldn't bare to cut my hair short and start from scratch. It worked out well for me, and if you have to patience I say go for it, if u just want a fresh start then go for a BC...

Good Luck!

I basically did the same. I gradually trimmed every so often throughout my 2 year transition, BCing wasn't an option for me, so I went with what I was most comfortable with. Transitioning period no matter the length of time takes a lot of patience, it's definitely not for everyone, just as BCing isn't for everyone. Do what suits you best OP!

Back