Good Hair Care Things you done B4 LHCF

Blaque*Angel

I Just read back my post in the other thread about "stupidest things you've done to your hair " And I feel a fool!:lachen: Lol, Anyway I've thought of some "good things" I done before LHCF that I never knew were "Good!"
Anyway...

1. When I had curly/jerry perm I used to baggie all the time,(wearing a shower cap, Especially on weekends)People used to say "why do you steam your hair 24/7?" I never knew a good answer, I just knew when I took down the shower cap my hair was so moisturised and soft!

2. I Used a good "moisturiser" And that is how I got to shoulder length!

3. When i would run out of shampoo i used to use herbal essence conditioner and my hair was so soft and smooth BUT it wasnt squeaky clean...:perplexed

When I came here and seen all the talk about "CW" I was like
"Ha Ha"

Anyway ladies do you have anything to add?If so please list the Good Hair Care Things you done BEFORE LHCF

:rosebud:

I used to stretch my relaxers until I met this girl who said she relaxed every 4-6 weeks. Her hair was so straight and pretty I thought that I should start doing the same thing. Needless to say, it did not make my hair longer and now finally I am back to going 8 weeks (at a minimum) and hopefully more prior to relaxing.

Another good thing I used to do was rollerset my hair and my hair had good length and health, but I got lazy and started blowdrying instead. My hair slowly began to get shorter and shorter. People kept asking me if I had cut my hair! Sadly, I never made the connection between blowdrying and hair loss.

I have a tendency to change my regimen when I see something working for someone else. While I do want to try new things from time to time, I really need to keep my focus on what is working for me.

Um, this is hard. I didn't do much right. But I did:

Understand hair should be elastic and non-porous.
Wash my hair 1 per week.
Wear braids to reduce manipulation. Too bad I had no idea how to take care of the braids.
Transition to natural. Because I obviously didn't know how to take care of relaxed hair.

Last edited:
Things I did B4 LHCF:
~eat healthy
~vitamins/supplements
~protective styles
~ moisturized my length but with oil moisturizers (I dont use these anymore)
~DC & hot oil treatments
~exercised but was not as committed as I am now

Now, after incorporating things I have learned here, I'm hoping my hair will be off-the-chain healthy from root to tip. I just want my hair to grow back to where it was before transitioning.

foxybrownsugar said:
I forgot about scarves. I have been using them too, since the early 90's.
I forgot this one too, always kept direct heat minimal, mostly cuz i'm lazy when it comes to curling hair.

MOISTURE.

I was at my moms and saw a picture of myself from about 10 years ago. My hair was so pretty and I did not even realize it at the time.

That was before I started messing with weaves and braids and going to salons and things. That was when I had no cash but still wanted to be cute.

My hair care was simple and effective, you know. I use to keep my hair so moisturized and nice.

But at the same time I was using the curling iron and relaxing my hair every 5 weeks. I hair was still so nice, though.

Last edited:
  • I used Nexxus shampoo and Humectress (didn't know about protein or leave-ins)
  • I always wore a satin bonnet to bed, not for the reasons I know now, I just did.
  • I only used a wide tooth comb, no brushes
  • I had a good, healthy diet
  • I exercised regularly
  • I drank lots of water daily

I hardly deep conditioned unless I went to the hair dresser
Gel was my best friend
Glued in weave (it looked hot but took myhair out, when it was time to come out)
perm ever 4-6 weeks. (EWWW, this was the one that I believe did me in)
washed maybe twice a month. 3 times on a good month.
curling iron and blow drier queen almost everyday..
slept in cotton head wear...
but now I know...

I got my hair done every and I mean EVERY 2 weeks. I wait longer than 2 weeks now because I've learned how to do my own hair at home between my (8 week) relaxers.

I would stretch my relaxer 12-16 weeks.
Deep conditioning with lekair cholesterol
Weekly CPR treatments

sylver2 said:
I never ever went to bed without a scarf on my head

Ditto....That was passed down to me....! As with alot of black girls...Unfortunately, that was the only good habit I had...

Understood the importance of trims.... ( I was tramatized at the age of 12 when I HAD to cut off all my hair from almost BSL b/c it was nothing but split ends!! :eek:) :lol: From then on, I trained myself on proper hair care and how damaged hair looked like. I felt so awakened!! I started giving myself my own trims at home a few times a year. (my mom HATED that)

Protein Treatments with Keraphix faithfully. Turned my hair around! :yep: I was retaining length like crazy!.... until I put a curling iron to it every time I got my blow-outs! haha! :lol: I thought the protein was like a bullet-proof shield with all that heat! But my hair still got longer. :confused:

Stretching relaxers. I have no idea how or why I did it, but I used to always go 3 months. (Now that I think about it, it was those damaging Dominican Blowouts and little manipulation that got me through)

I'll come back when I think of more.... if there even is any more. :lol:

I think the only good thing I ever did was grease my scalp with sulfur 8.
I got a perm 4 weeks, no matter how much ng, permed my whole head, yup....didn't know better, used a curling iron daily. The list goes on and on- things not to do, I did, yet I had hair below my shoulders that seemed healthy.:confused: I also used the ORS line of products. Everybody thought I was the hair guru!:eek: If they only knew...:lol:

wrapped my hair every night
wore a silk scarf every night
used a satin pillowcase
stretched relaxers to 8 weeks
used products from one line (my hair thrived off of this)
used Hot 6 & Kemi Oyl
didn't use direct heat except for the salon
wore protective buns a lot
drank tons of water
exercised 4-5 times/wk
ate right
got plenty of sleep
stayed away from SHS

Divine Inspiration said:
wrapped my hair every night
wore a silk scarf every night
used a satin pillowcase
stretched relaxers to 8 weeks
used products from one line (my hair thrived off of this)
used Hot 6 & Kemi Oyl
didn't use direct heat except for the salon
wore protective buns a lot
drank tons of water
exercised 4-5 times/wk
ate right
got plenty of sleep
stayed away from SHS

Looks like you didn't need LHCF then huh? :lol: j/k

secretdiamond said:
Looks like you didn't need LHCF then huh? :lol: j/k

:lol: I kinda did and kinda didn't...I've been past bra strap before so obtaining & maintaining length wasn't an issue. When I moved to CA, the hard water & poor stylists ruined my hair so I encountered new challenges. In AL, I cared for my hair at home between salon visits, but I was not even close to doing as much "self-styling" as I do now. I had an AMAZING stylist who knew what healthy hair meant and had to *search* to find her scissors. :yep:

I was also a member of another board before I joined LHCF so I had a regimen & some knowledge before I got here. Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade LHCF for the world! You guys are wonderful! :up:

1. Used direct heat no more than once a week on my relaxed hair
2. Wrapped or rollerset my hair after shampoo/condition
3. Shampooed and conditioned my hair once or twice a week
4. Regularly protected my hair with silk or satin before going to bed
5. Deep conditioned with olive oil overnight
6. Wore protective hair styles
7. Massaged my scalp regularly

• Sleeping on a satin pillowcase.
  • Using a wide tooth comb.
  • Not brushing hair.
  • Wrapping hair every night.
  • Protective styles.
  • Excercised daily.
  • Drank lots of water.
  • Ate healthy.

Uhh I was natural....I wore a bun a lot (but with way too tight scrunchies, some with metal that would rip my hair out).

That's about it. :grin:

Back