God, the devil and human thoughts

CaribbeanQueen

I recently had a discussion with a pastor. He said that as a 'Man of God' he could tell when people were speaking whether or not their words were from God or the devil.

I asked, “Does it always have to be God or the devil? Where does our own human thinking/reasoning come into this? Do we not think on our own and can't our words be a reflection of our own personal thoughts?”

He said ‘No. All of our thoughts come from either God or the devil.’

What do you think about this? Is this scriptural?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have been wondering the same thing. I've asked questions similar to this before in the forum. I've always been taught that good thoughts come from God and that bad thoughts come from the devil, but that just doesn't sit right with me given that we are human fleshly beings with free will. Based on the reality of things, I have came to the conclusion that all of our thoughts are our own human thoughts, and that God and the devil are just spiritual forces that can influence our thoughts and/or actions. But my conclusion could be wrong.

Here is a thread that may be helpful: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/christian-fellowship/461264-how-do-you-listen-god.html

Urban

I recently had a discussion with a pastor. He said that as a 'Man of God' he could tell when people were speaking whether or not their words were from God or the devil.

I asked, “Does it always have to be God or the devil? Where does our own human thinking/reasoning come into this? Do we not think on our own and can't our words be a reflection of our own personal thoughts?”

He said ‘No. All of our thoughts come from either God or the devil.

What do you think about this? Is this scriptural?

Then where is the free will?

keepithealthy

Hello I am new to this side of the forum :) But I would like to reply to your post.

I would say no because we have our own free will.

1 Corinth 2:11
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

This scripture implies that every person has their own thoughts that are known only to them.

Matthew 12:22-28
22 Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. 23 All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”
24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? 27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Luke 5:21-22
21 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, “Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

22 Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, “Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? 23 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?

Both of these scriptures show that what these people were thinking originated from themselves. The Matthew scripture says Jesus knew "their" thoughts and the Luke scriptures state that they were thinking to themselves. Jesus asked them why were they thinking these things.

Also to be noted is that there are incidents in the Bible when it is mentioned that a person is influenced by the demonic.

For example:
John 13:27
As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. "What you are about to do, do quickly," Jesus told him,

Matthew 16:21-23
21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Just as there are times when people are under the influence of the Holy Spirit and empowered by God.

Judges 3:9-10
9 But when they cried out to the LORD, he raised up for them a deliverer, Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother, who saved them. 10 The Spirit of the LORD came on him, so that he became Israel’s judge and went to war. The LORD gave Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram into the hands of Othniel, who overpowered him.

Hope this helps...blessings :)

Last edited: