Getting roots straight with a rollerset

EmeraldSky

Is anyone successful at getting their roots straight with a rollerset at 7 or more weeks after their relaxer? I have at least half an inch of new growth, but even when I have half that my roots don't straighten from rollerset. Is this the norm or am I missing something? I'm trying everything I can think of including Profectiv's root health on my new growth to straighten them out, but nothing seems to be working.

For the me key is

1) A tight roller set (not too tight but tight enough to get my roots straight).

2) Heat. I found through trial and error that the heat from the hair dryer help to straighten my roots. I just did a roller set and air dryed overnight and my roots were awful. I have 4b hair and my 3 inches of new growth had major shrinkage and the rest of my hair just sat on top of it.

I cosign on the coconut oil. That was how i was able to stretch out my relaxer to 5 months. That and a tight rollerset and sitting under a warm dryer.

After the pre oil, poo & conditioner, I mist both the hair & new growth with Leave in, followed by misting both with oil.

As I'm rolling, I make sure to apply more water (& oil if needed) to keep each & every section of hair good & wet before rolling. I've learned that having wet new growth allows it to stretch nicely (but be careful not to pull too hard or else it'll snap off
mad.gif
).

Another thing, try to make sure that the hair is completely straight at the roots...when wrapped around the roller. This way the new growth hair will dry straight
smile.gif

Last but not least...a warm hooded dryer.
smile.gif

EXACTLY what douglala wrote. For my 4a hair, I must have heat... around touchup time. I usually just put my bonnet dryer on, and go to sleep or watch tv. Now if, I have a fresh perm, I can airdry to my hearts desire... straight roots and all.

Thanks you guys for the help!
I have to work on this rollerset thing I always use a hooded dryer. Usually the roots of my hair (if I have new growth) end up with a little slack once I let go and put the pins in, the rest of my hair will be taut. I guess I have to make the rollersets a little tighter.

Making sure that my rollers are taunt, in addition, if the hair is still coarse at the roots, what I do. If the new growth is still noticeable, what I like to do is, wrap my hair in section, but as I'm going through each section, spray a small amount of leave in conditioner on the new growth and spritz a small amount of hair oil, proceed with each section, wrap hair in satin scarf and by morning, there's an improvement. Sometimes, it takes a night or two to completely straighten out

[ QUOTE ]
a mixture of coconut and castor oil along with heat from a dome dryer then a doobie usually helps me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I mix:
1)coconut oil (organic, unrefined the Garden of Life brand is great, you never have to heat it up; it melts on its own)
2)castor oil (Palma Christi)
3)KMS Relaxer Balm from their Flat Out line (this is a very thick balm; thicker than a serum. It costs about $20 but a little goes a long way)

I mix equal amounts to make about 6 oz. in a nozzle bottle. I squeeze this mixture just at my roots (the rest of my hair has a leave in and some protein). then I smooth it in like I was getting a relaxer, then I rollerset. My hair comes out almost like I just had a retouch.

(I have tried this just twice and I would be curious to see if it works for others...)

Also, try to use the smallest roller that you hair will allow. That is, the more your hair could wrap around the roller tautly, the better and straighter.

I thought up this concoction because, yes, while I am getting growth, it was getting so thick that you couldn't even see the lines when I parted my hair
wallbash.gif
I am going to 8 weeks post relaxer and I hope to go for 8 more weeks (fingers crossed
grin.gif
). HTH!

Chichi
bdance.gif

Hey ChiChi. This sounds great. I liked KMS as a natural(I used it to transition). Now that I'm relaxed I'll have to try it again with your recipe. I'm trying to go back to every 6 months touchups. This may help me out. Thanks!

You're welcome sweetcocoa!
wave.gif

I did make a boo boo though...

[ QUOTE ]
I mix equal amounts to make about 6 oz.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be .6 oz. not 6 oz.
naughty.gif
This is just for roots so 6 oz. would last a very long time...

Sorry for the error... Good luck!

Chichi
bdance.gif

Back