For those who use oil prepooing....

gymfreak336

How much oil do you usually use?
Do you leave it in overnight or just a couple of hours before washing?

Thanks in Advance.

I do mine overnight for convenience. I just thoroughly apply it, its not dripping or anything. Just enough so I know all the strands are covered. Then I sleep with a plastic cap on. Oh, I also mist lightly with water first. Its probably not necessary but I do it out of habit.

How much oil do you usually use?
Do you leave it in overnight or just a couple of hours before washing?

Thanks in Advance.

I use about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup - enough to saturate all of my hair. I warm/heat the oil and leave it in anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. I don't use it in overnight. HTH!

I probably use anywhere from .75-1oz of oil. Sometimes i apply warmed oil with a tint brush (parting and distributuing like a virgin relaxer) a few hours before my wash routine. Most of the time i just apply with my hands and comb thru to make sure i coat my hair and wash a few hours later. I cant sleep with a plastic cap or lots anything (oil, condit, etc) in my hair.

i use castor oil (enough to cover my hair, but i dont 'saturate' it) under a heat cap and leave it in from half an hour to an hour (it makes a world of a difference when it comes to the softness of my hair when im done washing. LOVE it.)

Well once I heated up too much oil, like half a mug and I used it as a hot oil treatment and yeah, oild was dripping down everywhere, my neck, back :ohwell:

so don't use too much :lachen: :lachen:

I use EVOO. I saturate my strands with the oil, then on top of that, coat my hair with Burt's Bee's Avocado Pre-Shampoo treatment. I put a plastic cap on, then a turbie twist to secure and sleep with that overnight. When I shampoo in the morning, my hair feels like butta!!!

I am actually 11 weeks post today, I just did the treatment last night and I'm airdrying my hair currently. It still works like a charm!! :grin::grin::grin:

I usually don't actually need to pre poo because I'm always wearing a ps, so my hair always full of oil. However if I'm doing a Ayurveda rinse I will soak my hair in Shikakai or Amla oil for a few hour with a plastic cap first. I do this more to reap the benefits of the herbs in these oils. Plus I don't like the smell of some of them so this is a good way to use the traditional Ayurvedic oils.

I use a color applicator bottle and apply to my scalp and hair (prevents over-saturation)...sometimes I add conditioner

I always leave on overnight

I leave my coconut oil or avocado oil for 20-30 mins then wash out, I saturate my ends use the application bottle to appy to my scalp and the rest of my strands, I think I use alot but it washes out.

are you ladies doing this every wash day or just every so often. I need to incorporate the hot oil treatments into my routine because my hair isn't where I want it to be

I use some amla and EVOO. I saturate my entire head and only leave it on for 20 min; 30 min top with heat before shampooing. I can't sleep with oils and conditioners in my hair and its just unnecessary IMO.

I dampen my hair lightly with water, then add enough to saturate my hair, put on a plastic cap and leave on for about 2hrs. No heat. I do this every wash. using, castor or coconut oil or a mix.

I moisten my hair first 'cause I realised it doesn't like oil straight up.

I use 1/4 cup of olive oil (maybe a little more), and I always sit under the dryer for 5 minutes to heat it up.

I usually shampoo right after or I may leave it on overnight if I'm being lazy.

I dont use oil to pre-poo per say

but my hair is always oiled

I am thinking the longer you leave it in the better, with the oils that absorb, it gives it a chance and plenty of time to do so :yep:

I lightly oil & detangle before plaiting my hair to wash. I leave it overnight. I use ayurvedic oils or penetrating oils and really massage my scalp.

are you ladies doing this every wash day or just every so often. I need to incorporate the hot oil treatments into my routine because my hair isn't where I want it to be

I alternate between oil and protein, so I do it every other week. Helps keep my hair soft and moisturized.

I warm up the oils , mix it with honey and a conditioner I'm trying to get rid of, and then apply to dry hair. I make sure there is enough to completely saturate the whole length of my hair (maybe 1,1.5, or 2 cups) and leave it alone for a few hours. I like my hair drenched for pre-pooing. I know I use a lot of oil, but I do it on dry hair, which means it's harder to distribute, but I get better results this way. I might or might not go under a heating cap. Sleeping on my pre-poo mixtures would not be pretty in the morning...

Last edited:
I use Cocasta oil. I leave it on for a few hours, covered with plastic cap, then wash.

I try to do it every wash.

Back