For those who take silica

Brownie

For those who take silica or horsetail (?????), do you think it's worth it? I read somewhere that silica is supposed to make the hair stronger. I guess it's supposed to make the new growth shiny also, but is it working for anyone?

That is a good question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. I've been taking KAL Silica Plus for 3 months and don't notice a significant difference in shine and I don't know if it's any stronger either. My hair seems to be fairly strong anyway, so I guess for me it would be difficult to tell.

I've been taking silica since last summer or early fall (can't remember exactly when).

I'm pretty consistent (take at least one pill, if not two a day).
I first had Solgar silica, now I have Vitamin Shoppe brand.

I can't say I've noticed any DRASTIC different in my new growth, but
my new growth is shiny. I'm not sure if that is due to the silica (my hair has
always been sorta shiny), but I figure it is more beneficial for me to take silica then not to take it since it is supposed to aid in healthy hair growth.

BTW, horsetail is an herb that CONTAINS silica. Silica is the reason people take
horsetail for hair growth.

I thought all Silica pills were made of horsetail? Am I wrong?

Thanks ladies!!!!!
At the moment, I guess I'll hold off on purchasing silica. I like to take stuff that's really good and potent, so I can tell it's working.

I noticed a huge difference in the shine and tensile strength of my hair when I started taking KAL many moons ago. I take 4 tablets - 2400 mgs. The differences I was noticing tapered off by about 6 months in (I think it just affected it as much as it could and then tapered off). But it did change my hair for the better. I stopped taking it for a few months when I couldn't afford my vits, and noticed a difference pretty quickly. Both in my hair and nails. I take them again and my hair is back to "normal". Even when I reach my goal and stop taking growth enhancing vits, I will continue to take silica, B5 other vits that enhance appearance rather than increase my growth rate.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know nothing about the differences between horsetail and silica tho - sowwy... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
For those who take silica or horsetail (?????), do you think it's worth it? I read somewhere that silica is supposed to make the hair stronger. I guess it's supposed to make the new growth shiny also, but is it working for anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to take as much as 30,000mg of msm. Being that msm has the tendency to make your hair texture come in straighter and shiny(msm also adds shine to the hair), the addition of the silica only added to this gloss effect. As I said, since your hair comes in straighter, light reflects to a higher degree on a straight or straighter, smooth surface than on any other surface. Again msm not only straightens hair, but adds shine to it. The silica also strengthens the hair and adds shine, so the compound effect of the msm and silica in my case did a wonderful job.

hth,
Amethyst

Back