For those who have the UPA Clip........

fancypants007

what do you think would be more hair healthier/hair friendly; a upa clip where your own hair is exposed but sandwiched between the upa clip, or a drawstring pony? I have been wearing my hair in a bun for over a year and I want a different style. I'm now wearing a drawstring pony, but sometimes I feel that it is pulling on my hair. I put my own hair in a ponytail with oil and baggy it and then put on the pony. I don't put it on tight, but I don't want to experience breakage, especially after all my hard work to get it past brastrap length. Does the upa clip protect your hair ends? Any advice would be appreciated.

fancypants007 said:
what do you think would be more hair healthier/hair friendly; a upa clip where your own hair is exposed but sandwiched between the upa clip, or a drawstring pony? I have been wearing my hair in a bun for over a year and I want a different style. I'm now wearing a drawstring pony, but sometimes I feel that it is pulling on my hair. I put my own hair in a ponytail with oil and baggy it and then put on the pony. I don't put it on tight, but I don't want to experience breakage, especially after all my hard work to get it past brastrap length. Does the upa clip protect your hair ends? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the UPA clip does protect your ends, but it's more challenging to baggy while wearing it. I've done it, but my hair is fine/thin. If you have thick hair, I don't know if you could get it in a baggy and still fit it in the UPA clip. Drawstrings might be easier for baggying purposes, since they are "expandable".

The drawstring may be easier to use with a baggy; however I wore drawstrings for about a 3 months straight and all the hair around where the teeth sunk in broke!!!!:eek: :eek: And I bald spots in some areas. Because of this, I would be really careful about drawstings. I wouldn't make them my new staple hairstyle / wear them everyday. I haven't used the UPA clip; however I am considering it. ( I might try to make my own first though: 1 hair clip, 1 pack yaky weave hair, 1 hot glue gun...we'll see what happens.) HTH!

preciousjewel76 said:
I think the UPA clip does protect your ends, but it's more challenging to baggy while wearing it. I've done it, but my hair is fine/thin. If you have thick hair, I don't know if you could get it in a baggy and still fit it in the UPA clip. Drawstrings might be easier for baggying purposes, since they are "expandable".

Thanks for the response. I really don't want to baggy my hair while wearing the upa clip, i just wondered if it would be hair friendly i.e., not pulling, protecting the hair ends, etc. I'm looking for a new style but I also want to protect my hair and hair ends.

lizjoseph said:
The drawstring may be easier to use with a baggy; however I wore drawstrings for about a 3 months straight and all the hair around where the teeth sunk in broke!!!!:eek: :eek: And I bald spots in some areas. Because of this, I would be really careful about drawstings. I wouldn't make them my new staple hairstyle / wear them everyday. I haven't used the UPA clip; however I am considering it. ( I might try to make my own first though: 1 hair clip, 1 pack yaky weave hair, 1 hot glue gun...we'll see what happens.) HTH!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't use the hair comb, i just put it on and pull the drawstring a little. Sometimes I feel it wobbling on my head. I don't want to baggy my hair while using the upa clip, I just want to know if it would be hair friendly. Instead of buying the drawstring ponytails, I was wondering if I should just invest in a upa clip in human hair and just wear this style as my staple. What do you think.

Whenever I use a drawstring pony, I cut off the attached combs from the inside of the pony. I then attach the pony using the plastic magic clips (from Sally's) and I have had no problems with breakage. I love the UPA clip but I still trying to figure out how to keep my own hair from sticking out from the sides. Hopefully I will be able to figure that out one of these days and then I can use the upa because it reallly is a pretty and natural looking pony.

fancypants007 said:
Thanks for the response. I really don't want to baggy my hair while wearing the upa clip, i just wondered if it would be hair friendly i.e., not pulling, protecting the hair ends, etc. I'm looking for a new style but I also want to protect my hair and hair ends.

In that case, I think it *IS* hair friendly. Your ends are protected by the hair of the UPA clip. You do have to put your hair in sort of a tight ponytail to wear the clip, though, so be mindful of that. I always soak my ponytail holders in oil to minimize breakage.

deborah11 said:
Whenever I use a drawstring pony, I cut off the attached combs from the inside of the pony. I then attach the pony using the plastic magic clips (from Sally's) and I have had no problems with breakage. I love the UPA clip but I still trying to figure out how to keep my own hair from sticking out from the sides. Hopefully I will be able to figure that out one of these days and then I can use the upa because it reallly is a pretty and natural looking pony.

Did you email Michelle about the problem? I looked in sareca's album and I see where she braids her own natural hair and then she adds the upa clip. I think this is what I will be doing. I emailed Michelle and I told her that I want my upa clip a little bit fuller since my hair has so much volume. I hope this helps.

Back