For Natural Ladies who Braid or Twist their Hair often...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Whether you do braidouts, twistouts, flat twists, cornrows, or leave you hair in single braids and twists, I have a few of questions for you...

Do you comb thru the sections of hair one at a time before braiding or twisting?
If not, do you just braid/twist it up while it's still tangled or coiled/curled up?
How do you prevent breakage in either case?

I won't ask yall too many questions like I always do... :D so any other helpful info about braiding and twisting will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I just recently started doing braidouts and I always comb through each section. I apply a good leave-in before I comb.

When wet, I comb out each section after applying leave-in and oil. When I retwist dry hair, the hair is usually not tangled, so I just retwist with a little gel or moisturizer.

I apply moisturizer by section and brush out with a boar's bristle brush. If it was just washed, I brush through with a paddle brush with conditioner in it. Then once I am rinsed and towel dried, I use the boar's bristle brush and moisturizer.

I wear my hair in flat twists/twistouts like 99.5% of the time...
The hair that I flat twist is the only time I use a comb to part....then I just put whatever product I'm using on the hair and start twisting...
The hair that I twist I just grab put the product on , smooth in and twist....

For me & my hair the combing each part isn't needed...the only time I comb my hair during the whole wash, condition process, is when I am combing the conditioner through..... after that I use my fingers if I need to detangle

this has helped me curb the breakage I used to see...when I comb there is almost no hair on the comb...which is a jilbere shower comb, my parting comb is the standard rat tail

Do you comb thru the sections of hair one at a time before braiding or twisting? not usually. Last time I twisted my hair I did use a Denman brush.

If not, do you just braid/twist it up while it's still tangled or coiled/curled up?
How do you prevent breakage in either case? I haven't noticed a lot of breakage.

I only detangle once with a comb and that is during the shampoo/condition process. when im putting in my twists i'll use my fingers for parting and combing

no significant breakage in my case

I always detangle with the Denman brush while wet. I then finger part and twist. I have tried twisting my hair when it was completely dry. When I do that, I have to comb thru each part. Some hair comes out that way so I really prefer twisting wet hair.

Poohbear said:
Whether you do braidouts, twistouts, flat twists, cornrows, or leave you hair in single braids and twists, I have a few of questions for you...

Do you comb thru the sections of hair one at a time before braiding or twisting?

Yes. I brush through each conditioner filled section with a Denman while in the shower. I first section from ear to ear and brush downward, follwed by making another section and brushing until I am brushing all my hair back. I'm also allowing the water from the shower to rinse the conditioner out as I am doing this.

Nope. That would cause a problem--and I only know because I did it once.

How do you prevent breakage in either case?

I wear my hair in a french braid about 95% of the time. Other times I wear wet buns and occasionally I straighten, but I usually only straighten when I need a trim. By wearing my hair up and out of the way, it doesn't usually get tangled and I don't bother it. I pin the tail of the braid up, too. When I unbraid to wash, I mostly see shed hairs and not broken ones. Lastly, I always put a little castor oil on the entire tail of my braid, focusing on the ends before I pin it up.

I won't ask yall too many questions like I always do... :D so any other helpful info about braiding and twisting will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I hope that helps!

Back