Flaxseed Gel Receipes - POST HERE!

BlackDiamond21

So I made my own this week, for the 1st time and LOVE IT, and found myself thinking throughout my research,it would be SO VERY HELPFUL if someone could find all those recipes in one place - hence this thread :yep:

This is going to replace my KKC because it is SO DAMN CHEAP :blush: to make and works wonders on my 4a hair. Nice clumping and definition, doesn't react crazy to my HS 14-1 leave in with shea butter/oil mix to seal before adding the gel on top!

KCC would act crazy and leave nasty looking white balls in my hair if I dared to use another leave in outside of KC line :censored: which is just GREAT when you have like 5 mins to leave for work!

I digress...

Here is my recipe (thanks to all the ladies out there who posted their recipes so I could take a little here & there and make mine):

* 2 cups of water
* 1/4 c of flax seeds ($8 @ GNC 16oz (i think 16oz)
* 2 tbs aloe vera gel ($10 @ GNC 32oz)
* 1 tbs jojoba oil
* 1 tbs sweet almond oil
* 1 tbs avocado oil
* 5 drops of tea tree oil (for a very light scent and great antibacterial properties)

I keep it in a twist-top Rubbermaid 16oz small jar container in the fridge. Should last 3 weeks.

I take out each morning and bring to room temp (my fridge is so cold the first day it had a thin layer of ice on it) and then apply to hair.

To refresh in the mornings I just spritz my hair with water to dampen it and reapply a little gel to areas that need it :grin:

HTH with you HHJ :)

Nice looking recipe. Did you add the other ingredients (everything except for the water and flaxseeds) during or after boiling?

Nice looking recipe. Did you add the other ingredients (everything except for the water and flaxseeds) during or after boiling?

I boiled the flax seeds with the water. Then I strained the gel into the container using a knee high (saw that on YT!!!) then added the oils as it cooled :drunk: YUM-O!

You use a lot of fancy ingredients, but it looks good. Plain Jane here. I just use water, seeds and a few drops of lavender.

Yup I said I used oven gloves to squeeze out the gel in tights you get every last drop of gel that way and it's easy no fussing around

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I LOVE flaxseed gel! I'll use the gel with nothing else in it. Just by itself. But I have experimented with other mixtures. The mixture I like best so far is

2 tbsp of flaxseeds
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of jojoba oil
1 tbsp of sweet almond oil
2 drops of jasmine essential oil for fragrance

IronButterfly said:
What kind of hold does flax seed gel have? Lite. med or heavy? TIA

Light for my hair but it really defines my twist and braid outs.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

BTW - Putting it in the fridge is not a friendly suggestion but a MUST! My first batch went bad after forgetting to put it back in fridge for 3 days. I opened it up to use it and there was mold growing on top :nono: - YUCK!

#lessonlearned :yawn:

@ IronButterfly - I find the gel has a medium hold but feels light once dry. Gives great definition, helps my 4a silky strands hang (so a little weight to it) and dries nicely! Reminds me so much of Kinky Curly Curl Custard you can get at Target, which this is replacing.

Back