Fairy Knots...(or tangles and knots)

princessdi

I've noticed that the longer my hair gets the more susceptible I am to getting knots (fairy knots) and tangles. Is there a way to prevent this, so that I'm not fighting each week with trying to get them out? I’d like to keep the hair on my head instead of ripping it out because of the stupid knots and tangles.--L

I didn't even know what ssk's were until I went natural but by the time I figured it out my hair was full of them. These are some things that have helped me to reduce them. Not all of it may apply.

I have found that what has been most beneficial in preventing ssk's for me is
  • Fully detangling hair (for me that means with a comb at least 1x a week)
  • Detangle hair only while dripping wet, or under running water:
  • Using a conditioner with slip or adding oil for slip
  • Washing in Sections/Braids or Twists or loose section by section (changed my natural life)
  • Keeping my hair moisturized (regular dc and/or cw)
  • Sealing my ends (I use elasta QP Mango and Olive Oil Moisturizer or EVOO or Castor Oil) ( another hair saver)
  • Keeping my hair stretched. (air drying in twists or braids
  • Shingling instead of wng'ing
  • Not bothering my hair when it is dry
  • sleeping with a cap and never sleeping with my hair loose
  • Trimming regularly (every 3 -5 months .50 or less)

What has helped me is keeping my ends SMOOTH.

If wearing a curly style ie...braid or twist out, I add a roller to the ends. I also try not to leave my hair in the curly styles too long. Only 2-3 days max. Yes, it's more work. My preference is to roller set and then flat iron for straighter styles. My objective is to not let my hair curl unto it self...that causes the single strand knots for me.

ETA: If I'm short on time and HAVE to leave out with wet hair....I do a banded ponytail. This way the hair although curly will dry stretched.

HTH

Keeping my hair in stretched styles helps with the single strand knots. I am typically wearing a braid out (rod the ends).

At one time I was cutting off the knots but I gave up on that. Now I just leave them alone.

Back