Failed Flat Iron Pt.2 (pics) Help?

curlytwirly06

I was hoping some one could help me pin point what it is I am doing wrong with my flat ironing. I have only attempted 3 times and each time, even though I have followed directions meticulously, have ended with very lack luster results. My process

Wash with clarifying shampoo (ors replenishing shampoo)
Condition with a cone conditioner ( HE HH)
Light protein treatment for 20 min
Deep condition for 30 min with steamer ( Annabelle's Perfects Blends Chocolate Mousse Mask)
Apply heat protector ( tresemme spray) Blowdry
Apply serum ( ic fantasia heat protector)
Flat iron ( baybliss pro porcelain ceramic) using comb chase method on 375-400

I am not sure what the problem is. Lately I have noticed despite clarifying for some reason my deep conditioner has not been giving me the super moisturized feeling as before even though nothing has changed in my regimen or anything. I don't know if this plays a part but I thought to add it in. The pictures uploaded are from attempt one and attempt two 6 months apart. Both were braided overnight. One looks slightly better than the other but they both look like shoddy blowouts. Any suggestions? Thank you.

When flat ironing, I have learned a couple of things:

1) overnight deep conditioning helps

2) less is more. I use very little product after washing out the conditioner and before I blow dry. Like a dime size amount on each quadrant section. If I want to add product it's best to add after straightening in the days to come.

3) blow dry my hair straight with a comb attachment starting on dripping wet hair. Start drying from the ends and work up to the roots to make sure the ends are straight.

3) flat iron in very small sections with a seamless comb to chase. the comb glides through my hair and doing it in small sections means a more uniform look as more hairs are in contact with the flat iron.

My hair comes out salon quality when I do all of this.

2) less is more. I use very little product after washing out the conditioner and before I blow dry. Like a dime size amount on each quadrant section. If I want to add product it's best to add after straightening in the days to come.

3) blow dry my hair straight with a comb attachment starting on dripping wet hair. Start drying from the ends and work up to the roots to make sure the ends are straight.

3) flat iron in very small sections with a seamless comb to chase. the comb glides through my hair and doing it in small sections means a more uniform look as more hairs are in contact with the flat iron.

My hair comes out salon quality when I do all of this.

Seamless comb? So not like a regular rat tooth comb? Also I feel really insecure about using only a little product with heat protectant. I have to be certain all parts of my hair are covered. I am terrified of heat damage. If you only use a dime size of spray or serum how in the world do you make sure all the strands are covered?

Seamless comb? So not like a regular rat tooth comb? Also I feel really insecure about using only a little product with heat protectant. I have to be certain all parts of my hair are covered. I am terrified of heat damage. If you only use a dime size of spray or serum how in the world do you make sure all the strands are covered?

You can use a regular rat tooth comb but mine is seamless. It just results in less snags.

As for heat protectant, that involves more than just applying a product. Combating heat involves: 1) starting with well conditioned hair, 2) using a leave-in product with good ingredients, 3) using a flat iron with good plates and 4) using moderate heat. If the only way you combat heat is with one product and ignoring the other steps, your hair will suffer.

You can use a regular rat tooth comb but mine is seamless. It just results in less snags.

As for heat protectant, that involves more than just applying a product. Combating heat involves: 1) starting with well conditioned hair, 2) using a leave-in product with good ingredients, 3) using a flat iron with good plates and 4) using moderate heat. If the only way you combat heat is with one product and ignoring the other steps, your hair will suffer.

What do you define as a good leave in indgrediant wise and a good flat iron? I thought that as long as the flat iron has ceramic plates it was okay to use. Also what do you define as moderate heat?

Thank you!

What do you define as a good leave in indgrediant wise and a good flat iron? I thought that as long as the flat iron has ceramic plates it was okay to use. Also what do you define as moderate heat?

Thank you!

My understanding is that there are different types of ceramic plates out there. I have a Sedu Revolution that I love! It glides on my hair. Here is how their plates are described: "Sedu utilizes the highest quality tourmaline infused ceramic and a unique polishing process to create microscopically smooth plates that effortlessly glide through the hair without snagging or pulling."

Good leave-in ingredients for MY hair involves cones, protein, and oil. Very little oil. I like what I use but it works for MY hair. You have to find what works for your hair. I mix a LITTLE of it with another cone product too (hair polisher type product).

Moderate to me is around 325-350. I read that hair burns at 450 so I try to keep the temperature far below that.

ETA: I don't need a lot of heat because I try to get my hair as straight and smooth as possible when blowdrying. I find that the only time I need to use more heat is when my blow dry method sucks, my hair is not smooth, and my hair turns out frizzy. Then, I would need more heat to make my hair straight and smooth. The blow drying results matter when deciding how hot I make my flat iron.

Last edited:
It could be what your using rather than how you're doing it. I have to use an ionic flat iron but my blow dryer can't be ionic. I also can't use serum, it weighs my hair down. I don't use a conditioner with cones and I can only use ceramic plates. I tried the babyliss titanium plates and my hair HATED it. Just try playing around. You'll find the right combination

It could be what your using rather than how you're doing it. I have to use an ionic flat iron but my blow dryer can't be ionic. I also can't use serum, it weighs my hair down. I don't use a conditioner with cones and I can only use ceramic plates. I tried the babyliss titanium plates and my hair HATED it. Just try playing around. You'll find the right combination

Huh, never heard of hair hating ertain types of plates. What are the signs of hair not agreeing with certain plates? It just sort of glides of hair so I'm not sure how to tell. But then again I am very inexperienced .

I need at least 400degrees for my flat iron temp. For me to get great results my blow dry has to be on point. Since I haven't mastered that yet, I use curlformers to stretch the hair and then the next day I blow dry. And like the other poster said, less is more when using products.

Ok, so this is what i do. I clarify with diluted ACV & DC overnight. The next day I rinse the DC, apply a diluted leavein (not too much) and then apply my curlformers. After my hair is dry, i take the curlformers out and apply my hair protectant . I then comb the curls out and blow dry. Next i flat iron my hair in small sections using a brush instead of comb for the "chase" method.

I have a chi flat iron that i set to 410 degrees for one past and then for the 2nd or 3rd pass I bring the temp down to 400. I also use quality products . I have been using the same heat protectant for yrs and i swear by it. It protects up to 400degrees of heat, reduce frizz and anti humidity. It's pricey but it last a long time. It's matrix essentials sleek look. Their whole product line is really good;especially the sleek line.

Last edited:
These are my results.

Pic 1: my hair in its natural state
Pic 2: after taking down the curlformers
Pic 3: blow dry
Pic 4: results

Attachments

• rps20150423_154409.jpg
    rps20150423_154409.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 66
  • rps20150423_154409.jpg
    rps20150423_154409.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 63
  • rps20150429_222017.jpg
    rps20150429_222017.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 64
  • rps20150430_132151.jpg
    rps20150430_132151.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 65
  • rps20150430_132102.jpg
    rps20150430_132102.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 69

I need at least 400degrees for my flat iron temp. For me to get great results my blow dry has to be on point. Since I haven't mastered that yet, I use curlformers to stretch the hair and then the next day I blow dry. And like the other poster said, less is more when using products.
I have a chi flat iron that i set to 410 degrees for one past and then for the 2nd or 3rd pass I bring the temp down to 400.
The bolded above is what I do as well and I get very good results with minimum reversion. My hair is mostly 4a with some 3b at the nape.
1.Clarify
2. DC over night (having hair that is properly moisturized from the inside out greatly prevents breakage from heat)
3. Air dry to about 80% to 85%
4. I use my Chi using small sections no wider than half the plate (approx 1.5" sections)
5. I immediately mix equal parts PM Skinny serum and Biosilk silk therapy in my hands and apply to still warm hair
6. I have a boar bristle/ nylon brush I brush with and I use my hands to make sure my hair is the desired amount of "straightened" from root to tip. I personally don't like bone straight hair but a step or two above it is ok for me.
7. Then in summer I apply a small to medium amount of lv-in (KT). In winter I apply Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Aloe thickening growth milk.
Then I let my hair "rest" for a day or two. I do this prep work a few days before I actually want to wear my hair down. I wear low mani styles until my hair down day. Then the night before (if I wrap it before bed) or the day of I'll use my maxi glide in wide sections followed by the styling aid of choice (curl formers, flexi-rods, braided for a beach wave effect, large magnetic rollers, etc) I do not usually have to do any touch ups etc and can keep a straightened style for up to two weeks. Probably longer I miss my curls by then and have grown accustomed to frequent co-washing. I also find straight hair to not be as interesting as coily hair. If your reggie is working for you, you should not have problems/ fear of occasional heat.
I tried to add some more recent pics but cannot for some reason :(
View media item 124727View media item 118455HTH

Nix the protein conditioner. Before flat ironing, you want to focus on adding as much moisture to the strands as possible. Also, if you are going to use a conditioner with cones, use it AFTER deep conditioning. Those cones may be covering the strands and preventing the deep conditioner to fully penetrate. You can use the protein conditioner, then follow up with moisture, when you are ready for your hair to revert.

That IC fantasia isn't that great (for me). Makes my hair revert minutes after heat every single time. Maybe that could be contributing to your issue.

A few suggestions:

- Nix the clarifying shampoo unless you’re experiencing a lot of build up
- Ditch the cone-laden and cheapie conditioners; they’re of no use and can only serve to hinder your progress
- Ditch the protein; a pre-straightening regimen should be heavily moisture-laden (protein is best used during the post-straightening wash)
- Always use the most moisture intensive DC in your arsenal
- DC for an extended period of time
- Air dry stretched prior to blow drying
- Only use one heat protectant during the entire process; if you used one prior to blow drying, there is no need to reapply/use a second one before flat ironing
- Rethink your use of serums as a heat protectant (my hair always immediately reverted and felt stiff when I used serums during straightening. Since my hair is fine, the Tresemme works the best)
- Try pre-pooing with an oil (except EVCO and avocado) or oil-laden moisturizing conditioner – no cheapies

Remember, one of the fundamental elements for a successful straightening experience is moisture, moisture, moisture!

A few suggestions:

- Nix the clarifying shampoo unless you’re experiencing a lot of build up
- Ditch the cone-laden and cheapie conditioners; they’re of no use and can only serve to hinder your progress
- Ditch the protein; a pre-straightening regimen should be heavily moisture-laden (protein is best used during the post-straightening wash)
- Always use the most moisture intensive DC in your arsenal
- DC for an extended period of time
- Air dry stretched prior to blow drying
- Only use one heat protectant during the entire process; if you used one prior to blow drying, there is no need to reapply/use a second one before flat ironing
- Rethink your use of serums as a heat protectant (my hair always immediately reverted and felt stiff when I used serums during straightening. Since my hair is fine, the Tresemme works the best)
- Try pre-pooing with an oil (except EVCO and avocado) or oil-laden moisturizing conditioner – no cheapies

Remember, one of the fundamental elements for a successful straightening experience is moisture, moisture, moisture!

Can I ask you a question about the conditioner thing? For the longest time I was anti cone and did not use them for about 3 years. Herbal essence HH has been the most slippery conditioner I have ever used, easily at my disposal, and affordable. I've only started using it recently but it makes detangling soooooo much easier. Do you know of anything comparable that you can get on the ground easily, affordable and very slippery? It's the only cone product in my rotation. Everything else is curly girl friendly.

Can I ask you a question about the conditioner thing? For the longest time I was anti cone and did not use them for about 3 years. Herbal essence HH has been the most slippery conditioner I have ever used, easily at my disposal, and affordable. I've only started using it recently but it makes detangling soooooo much easier. Do you know of anything comparable that you can get on the ground easily, affordable and very slippery? It's the only cone product in my rotation. Everything else is curly girl friendly.

If the primary function of the HH conditioner is as a detangler, I would use it prior to shampooing so that its cones do not interfere with the DC and straightening processes. While I'm not an anti-cone person, my hair does seem to have an acute aversion to the so-called cheapie conditioners. Since I discarded them long ago, I don't have any recommendations to offer on that score. However, the best, most effective detangler I've ever encountered is SSI's Avocado Conditioner.

beautiful hair!!!..something is not right in the products your using//i finally figured it out for me-i need to use a spray heat protectant or leave in versus any kind of cream or etc type i can only use one product after i wash out my dc...if i add anything else to the mix...poofy flat iron :(...something is coating your hair that is not allowing the heat to work properly on clean strands..

the heat protector and serum may be team to much, it may have to be one or the other or another product that has both..that IC serum....iunno

good luck

aussie moist (i think that's the name) is very slippery imo

Back