Drying under the hooded dryer

Trinity1

Quick question for those ladies that use the hooded dryer to dry their hair after washing. I want to try this method since I have alot of new growth and underprocessed hair. I dont want to bring out the flat iron again so I want to try drying it straight using the hooded dryer. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this? Should I put my hair in ponytails or wrap it?

Thanks
TeeTee2

You won't be able to get it completely straight.. you could get it straighter but not straight. Try rollersetting to dry and then wrapping your hair afterwards. I would say try wrapping your hair to dry, but if your hair is really long it'll take FOREVER!

I don't know about the ponytail method, because I've never tried it. Hopefully someone who has will reply.

Thanks Candibaby. My hair is not extremely long but it is brastrap. I think I read that Sylver2 puts a scarf on her hair and rollers on the hair hanging out of the scarf then sits under the dryer. I may try this!

TeeTee2

TeeTee,
sometimes I can smooth my hair into two or four ponytail and put rollers on the ends of the ponytails and let it dry like that. Its faster than a rollerset if u are impatient like me or short on time. Depending on the products, it will dry nice and soft and the ends will be smooth.

Thanks for your reply Leslie C. Right now I'm dealing with ALOT of new growth and underprocessed hair from my previous relaxer. I'm due for a touch up Mar 23rd and just trying to find ways to smooth the 3c hair in the back that kinks up.The rest of my hair is 4a and I get it laying down nice and smooth with my satin scarf and the right products but that hair in the back?.....LOL... schrivels way up making my smooth style not so smooth in the back. Anyway its just 2 1/2 more weeks.

TeeTee2

Hey Tee!
I'm going on 12 wks. post and I dry my hair in several ponytails under the hooded dryer. This has really helped straighten my new growth and I'm having no issues combing through it. I use lots of oils, I've found that oil + heat + ponytail= straighter, shinier, manageable hair.

hth!

hey Tee

To get the hair straight, the mexican girls are using the following rol and wrap method
- roll the top part of your hair onto 2 big rollers placed on the top of your head; once this is done, comb all the remaining hair and wrap it around your head all in the same direction so that you are using your head as a BIG roller; after 1 hr under the hood, unfold the wrap and wrap again the hair in the opposite directions without removing the 2 rollers and continue to dry under the hood. Once fully dry, your hait should be staright.
As pointed out, the drying time can be very long if your hair is long. One of my friend with hair midback was nearly 3 hours under the hood using this method

- a method to accelerate is to start with a full rollerset using the biggest rollers with which you can enter under the hood. Let it dry 30 mn undre the hood, remove all rollers and proceed as a second step to the above. The second and third drying periods will be around 20 to 30 mn each. The above friend had her drying time reduced to 1 and half hour with that method

Thanks ChosenbyGod and Albane!

I know I couldnt stand to be under the dryer for 1hr let alone 3...LOL.....but I may try the ponytails and see how that comes out. Last night after I washed my hair I let it air dry for about a half hour. Then put my damp hair in a pony tail and put three rollers on the length of the ponytail with lots of NTM Silk touch leave in cream and hair serum,and it came out really silky,straight and slightly wavy.... not too straight but straight enough to wear a straight style.

TeeTee2

Yeah, I also put rollers on the length of the ponytail for fear that that the length will end up bushy. It shouldn't because of the oil, but I use the rollers just in case.
Once my hair is dry I either bun it (if I'm going to school), rollerset it (if I'm going to church), and wrap it (if I'm going to bed).
Sometimes I hate to wash it because it's so straight (not super straight of course) but manageable and then I have to do the whole ponytail thing again. But it's worth it. I wash and deep condition (I'm starting back deep conditioning regularly) 2x a week. This is also a plus for new growth.

Tee, how do you like that NTM Silk Touch leave-in cream? I hear it's good stuff. :yep:

Back