Do any LHCF members get "shape ups" in the back of their head?

Bosslady1

The back of my head (nape) tends to grow wild. My hair starts around the lower back of my ears.

I am going to go to the barber today and have him "shape up" this area so that when I where a ponytail or bun it looks more neater and presentable.

Does any other member on this board do this.

If so, how often do you get a shape up and what do you advise someone who is getting one done?

Last edited:
My mother used to shape the hair on the back of her neck up when she wore her hair up a lot. But she had to stop because her hairline got messed up. She wears her hair down most of the time now so she doesn't bother anymore. She used to do it every 2 weeks when she got her hair done. She's relaxed though. I would say just be careful not to push the line back into the rest of your hair. And use something on it so you don't get razor bumps or scrape your neck up.

I used to get it done every two weeks when I went to get my hair done. It was normally in a updo. Now I do it every now and then, mostly when I wear braids. Ive noticed that my hair is alot more coarse and relaxer resistant in that area

My mother used to shape the hair on the back of her neck up when she wore her hair up a lot. But she had to stop because her hairline got messed up. She wears her hair down most of the time now so she doesn't bother anymore. She used to do it every 2 weeks when she got her hair done. She's relaxed though. I would say just be careful not to push the line back into the rest of your hair. And use something on it so you don't get razor bumps or scrape your neck up.

Good idea! I will advise the barber to prep that area well so I don't get razor bumps. I am only planning to do the obvious parts. I will make sure to tell him not to go close to my hair line. Only the parts that stand out.

I used to get it done every two weeks when I went to get my hair done. It was normally in a updo. Now I do it every now and then, mostly when I wear braids. Ive noticed that my hair is alot more coarse and relaxer resistant in that area

Is it because you wear your hair down more now or because you got a negative effect from doing a shape up every two weeks.

My kitchen grows in such a disasterous way.:nono: I need to do something.:perplexed

Is it because you wear your hair down more now or because you got a negative effect from doing a shape up every two weeks.

My kitchen grows in such a disasterous way.:nono: I need to do something.:perplexed

Mainly b/c I'm in college and I don't care anymore:lachen:! There were no negative effects for me. I'm in braids now, but I may go back to doing it. I love a "taped" up neck!

I line up my own hairline (or my hubby does it) back there, because I don't like to have the hairline looking all crazy back there. I wear updos a lot and I regularly take a clippers to all those hairs that grow down along my neck. I do it whenever it gets too obvious for me, not on a set schedule. I like the area to be a soft line straight across, not the v--v it looks like when don't line it up. My hairdresser used to do it for me, now I do it myself. It has a weird shape to me if I don't keep it neat. I like my hair to be neat.

Careful not to cut beyond your hairline or make the line too precise so that it looks too harsh and contrived.

Last edited:
Back