Crochet Braids and Interlocking

hnntrr

Thinking about putting in crochet braids for when I move (hopefully to last for at least three weeks). Wigging is a lot of work for the next two weeks and it seems like the crochet weaving technique might work. Especially since I can still wash my hair with it in and not have to worry about my head itching terribly.

Has anyone done the interlocking technique? I have seen some video's where they just cornrow straight back and it looks better once you have let it grow out for about a week...but the initial part does not look natural at all (you can seill see the knots)...but I am wondering if it is possible to crochet braid the full head and then leave about....a 5 inch portion on the crown where I can interlock it so that it looks more natural against my hair line. Not a ton of youtube videos that show that technique.

I am looking at a curlier pattern to weave in because my hair is natural at this point but I am not sure if interlocking will work on TWA natural hair.

I did crochet braids with marley hair and you couldn't really see the knots because of the kinkiness of the hair and because they were done so closely together

So its more the texture of hair rather than the actual knots? I tried using marley hair and it tangled in my hair so bad I had to cut them out of my hair. Would havanna hair work?

I've never used havana hair but with the marley hair I did just fingered combed my hair every day and applied oil to prevent detangling and put in 2 big twists when going to bed

Its all in technique and learn as you go. As you know, I have a type 4c twa.

Most times I use a coiled hair. When you separate the coil once installed it looks more natural. wash it once it's in if you don't get the afro stuff. Works great to frizz it up and look more natural.

You will also have to experiment on how many braids you need. Most yt show about 10. The gaps between braids were too wide for my fine low density hair. It takes 12 to 13 to hide gaps and knots for me.

I leave out the perimeter to save my edges and bangs. My knots never show. People always assume it's my hair.

There is Crochet braid thread floating around here too, so check that out as well.

I just had interlocking done on my hair about a week ago. The way my stylist did it, you really can't see knots because of the way she looped the hair around the cornrow (so instead of knots, it looks more like little curls). I used a synthic hair (freetress gogo curl) since it was my first time and I didnt want to pay too much. My cornrows aren't straight back though. I have a small part on the side so they kind of curve around like the shape of my hairline and then they go back in a zigzag pattern in the back of my head. The hair kind of hangs over the left side of my face and I can pull it behind my ear on the other side (so I can low ponytail or swoop it up when working out). So far I'm liking it because of the low maintenance... moisturize in the evening, put on my bonnet for sleeping, wake up and shake and go or clip them up in the back for work (because its sort of long). I think as long as you have enough hair to cornrow, you can make it work.

Back