Crispy Hair?

Aviah

At the end of last year I did a BKT on my hair (see siggy). This was fine and my hair felt great, however I then did a dye job with Loreal Olia to try to get dark red hair. This didn't make much of a difference to my hair color, or to my hair condition. What the kicker was is a dye of Dark and Lovely hair dye (that had peroxide in it to try to lift my color) that lefy my hair feeling dry and stripped as soon as I rinsed it. Since then, my hair hasn't felt the same. My hair has been rougher and drier. To top it all off, I did a flat iron job over it without DCing first after the harsh dye.

I know, I know:nono:...

Since then I've cut out heat and had my hair in box braids. I've been DCing weekly with Tresemme Naturals Vibrant Smooth and Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor. I've been diluting Cantu Shea Butter leave in and Profective MegaGrowth Breakfree and applying to my braids. When I redo some of them, they feel soft if I've recently moisturized. But it dries out quickly.

I plan to take out these braids at the end of March (8 weeks) and I'm thinking of either doing a Henna treatment or an Aphogee 2 step to try and build the hair back up.

What do I do?

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

Aviah

DO NOT DO HENNA!!!!!!!! You can have a reaction as conventional dyes have things in them that react with henna. That reaction could be fall out, breakage or even scalp irritation. I would do aphogee 2 step every 4-6 weeks. You have done 2 chemical processes that altered the bonds/protein structure of your hair. BKT is not natural and over time many have issues with hair falling out, dryness and countless other issues. I would also look into a good moisturizing deep conditioner or even a reconstructor.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hi Lady!

Sounds like you are on the right track. You've already:
1) identified the problem
2) eliminated or reduced chemicals/heat
3) have a weekly deep conditioning routine

I've never used henna so I can't compare it with Aphogee 2 step (which I've used many many times) I have blonde highlights and relaxed ends so I use it every 2 months to prevent breakage. I don't even wait until I see breakage, I just use it because I know those areas are weaker than the rest of my hair. When the color is all trimmed away/grown out, I'll stop using it all together.

If I were in your shoes, I would do the following when the braids are removed:
1) Clarify, Aphogee 2 step followed by a moisture DC (I would continue to do this every 6-8 weeks)
2) Continue washing and deep conditioning weekly.
3) Moisturize as needed
4) Find a style that requires minimal manipulation
5) Stick to same routine/products for 6 months then re-evaluate.

Good luck!!!!
:)

Aviah

Thanks ladies. lulu97, do you feel any difference in the "quality" of you hair? Does it feel less rough or damaged? I've never done a two step before.

southerncitygirl

Aviah
I prefer komaza protein strengthener aphogee 2 step. I am natural and my hair loves tons of protein & moisture. The komaza is a more natural alternative, better quality product, & easier to apply and if needed it can be applied more often. I put it in a spray bottle to make for easier application & preferred to use aubrey's conditioner as a followup cause my hair doesn't like petroleum and many find the balancing conditioner to be crappy.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Aviah
do you feel any difference in the "quality" of you hair?

Yes, I've been using this Aphogee 2 step treatment since the day I decided to stop relaxing my hair, which was over 2 years ago. It was recommended by my hair stylist when I had a discussion with her about my hair breaking. She advised me to start doing this Aphogee 2 step protein treatment and either stop relaxing or stop with the color. I chose to do the treatment and stop relaxing. The treatment stopped my breakage after the first use. For the first year, I was using it every 6 weeks as she recommended..but I was also going to see her every 2 weeks and I knew she would be asking me about it. lol
The 2nd year, due to conflicting schedules my salon visits decreased to monthly and I also got lazy and was only using the treatment every 3-4 months..but didn't notice any adverse effects or further breakage. This may be because my hair was in much better condition. Now that I decided to no longer lift my hair, I feel every other month is a happy medium until all the bleached hair is gone since it is now older and needs more care.

Does it feel less rough or damaged?
The color treated areas does not feel rough...just different than the rest of my hair. It feels weaker. I'm not sure how to explain it.
HTH

Aviah

Aviah
I prefer komaza protein strengthener aphogee 2 step. I am natural and my hair loves tons of protein & moisture. The komaza is a more natural alternative, better quality product, & easier to apply and if needed it can be applied more often. I put it in a spray bottle to make for easier application & preferred to use aubrey's conditioner as a followup cause my hair doesn't like petroleum and many find the balancing conditioner to be crappy.

Thanks for that, I really want to try this. I'm not sure if I can get it on the ground here though- or even online without paying double what it's worth.:ohwell:

Aviah
do you feel any difference in the "quality" of you hair?

Yes, I've been using this Aphogee 2 step treatment since the day I decided to stop relaxing my hair, which was over 2 years ago. It was recommended by my hair stylist when I had a discussion with her about my hair breaking. She advised me to start doing this Aphogee 2 step protein treatment and either stop relaxing or stop with the color. I chose to do the treatment and stop relaxing. The treatment stopped my breakage after the first use. For the first year, I was using it every 6 weeks as she recommended..but I was also going to see her every 2 weeks and I knew she would be asking me about it. lol
The 2nd year, due to conflicting schedules my salon visits decreased to monthly and I also got lazy and was only using the treatment every 3-4 months..but didn't notice any adverse effects or further breakage. This may be because my hair was in much better condition. Now that I decided to no longer lift my hair, I feel every other month is a happy medium until all the bleached hair is gone since it is now older and needs more care.

Does it feel less rough or damaged?
The color treated areas does not feel rough...just different than the rest of my hair. It feels weaker. I'm not sure how to explain it.
HTH

Maybe condition is the word I'm looking for. Like my hair at the roots feels softer, and silkier but I know my length won't feel that way because it's older and been damaged. I don't have breakage but yeah, the condition/quality feels worse than it used to. I was hoping the aphogee would help to restore it almost to what it's like naturally. I think I understand the feeling you're describing.