Could ya'll tell me again why I'm stretching my relaxer?

belleza

Could ya\'ll tell me again why I\'m stretching my relaxer?

This will be only the second relaxer I've had since actively participating in this forum. I'm stretching my relaxer from every 5 to 8 weeks, but I don't quite remember why. What are the benefits? I know this sounds dippy...maybe I'm having a blonde moment.

Re: Could ya\'ll tell me again why I\'m stretching my relaxer?

So that you have more newgrowth therefor lessening the chance of overlapping, therefore leading to less weakened hair strands.

Don't worry we all have our blonde moments! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yup, just what Ms K said. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i usually wait 16 weeks. on this particular stint, it's been about 28 weeks. don't ask me why. any longer, and we could theoretically say i'm transitioning. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif i plan to go next week though... /images/graemlins/look.gif

anyway, most do it to make it easier to prevent overlapping. the average hair grows about 1/2" a month. if you have any shrinkage, they have less than 1/2" to work with after 5 weeks, but a little less than 1" after 8 weeks. also consider that most beauticians aren't particularly careful with the application...

Thanks for asking this Belleza. I was kind of wondering too.

I have been waiting 10 weeks in between touch ups anyway because the chemicals are basically toxic. 20 years ago (the products have improved dramatically), I would have headaches for days after a touch up so I got in the habit of waiting as long as I could.

Cool, I am going for 13 weeks after my next touch up.

I strech 12 weeks (3 months) in order to limit my exposure to the chemicals to only 4 time a year. I use to go every 6 weeks and can't imagine doing it that often now! Plus what everyone else said . . .

Relaxing stretching gets easier with time. I have 4a/b texture hair, but some tricks that help me are to
1. comb my hair when wet with a large tooth comb into a ponytail and tie down with a satin scarve. I probably do this once or twice a week. When I have a fresh relaxer, I rollerset it every week until about week 6. Then I switch to the ponytail/scarve way to tame it or I roller set with rag rollers for a curler look...but I can wear any straight styles unless I flat-iron.

I can go three months strong like this..so that by the time I relax, I have a demarcation line that is so obvious, Stevie Wonder can see it..

It does get easier as you learn more techniques from everyone on the forum. When I started back in April...I couldn't last more than 6 weeks....as of today I am almost at week 14.

I stretch to make it easier to see my new growth when it is time to relax and because my hair seems to be stronger and healthier when I stretch. I'm doing it every 13 weeks or 4 times/year.

Good Lawd Adrienne 28wks /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Pretty please post some pics after that relaxer! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
It does get easier as you learn more techniques from everyone on the forum. When I started back in April...I couldn't last more than 6 weeks....as of today I am almost at week 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh Congratulations Falon! I've never stretched before - I didn't know if I would be able to do it..but I'm at week 11...you now make me wonder if I can make it to 14...hmmm..

My hair definitely, as Isis said, feels stronger. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I've started doing this it has improved the overall health of my hair. It doesn't look overprocessed, and besides, with relaxers (and all other chemicals), less is definitely best.

so if you stretch your relaxer how often do you wash your hair b/c from what I understand the more you wash the relaxer is getting washed out (for lack of a better phrase)??? :/

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpeadst said:
so if you stretch your relaxer how often do you wash your hair b/c from what I understand the more you wash the relaxer is getting washed out (for lack of a better phrase)??? :/

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've learned, relaxers cannot be washed out. I wash my hair every 3 days.

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpeadst said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a chemical has been applied to hair, it changes the structure of the hair permanently, it cannot be washed out.

You would have to cut your relaxed hair off.

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpeadst said:

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you are thinking of a color rinse...

well i'm on week 7 getting braids in two days to strecth it out even longer!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I stretch for alot of the same reasons everyone else does.

Like Falon mentioned, stretching tends to get better when you start arming yourself with ways to handle the two textures. Before I joined the board, I was stretching up to 10 weeks. After a lot of research, cutting and pasting and creating my Hair Care binder, I learned of products and techniques to help stretch to about 17 wks. Now stretching to 13 weeks is a cinch for me.
Funny thing is, when I get my touch-up, I'm bored because I don't have to work at doing my hair!

sweetpeadst: I've learned and noticed that with my frequent washings my hair flourishes. Growing up we were told that "dirty hair" grew faster. I've always noticed my hair growing more when I wash more. I wash 1-2x a week up to about 8 weeks post. 9-13+ week post, I wash 2-4x a week(depending on weather and different situations)

HHG

~op~

I've noticed it is easier to stretch relaxers as my hair grows longer.I went 3 months this last time.My longest ever.

I'm up to week 9 soon to be at week 10! Last time I relaxed my hair, I went 13 weeks stretching. At first it was pretty easy, but towards the end it got to be kind of difficult. MY hair was falling out in clumps. LOL* Now that I know how to style my hair better, my hair isn't as hard to manage with the new growth. In fact, I think what they say about it being easier to stretch the longer you go is sooo true!

I'll be stretching to week 13 post relaxer again this time. I'm up to week 9, so I only have about 4 more weeks to go. *crosses fingers*. I hope I can make it with minimal breakage. I don't feel like getting my hair cornrowed. Everytime I've gotten it done, it's always too tight, and they end up pulling out more of my hair than necessary.

But I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the health of my hair the last time I got my hair relaxed, not just because I waited 13 weeks (whereas before I couldn't go longer than 8 weeks), but also because I switched to a "mild relaxer". I find that my hair is thicker at the roots, and so hopefully this thinner whispy hair that I have at the ends will soon grow out and I can in time cut it off so that I can have nothing but THICKER hair! :)

So yeah, I think stretching relaxers DEFINITELY has its benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I've noticed it is easier to stretch relaxers as my hair grows longer.I went 3 months this last time.My longest ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I noticed this also as my hair grows longer. Perhaps the weight pulls a little on the newgrowth so one can stretch the relaxer longer.

Back