Could this have been the problem? Spin off from 4b ladies, what relaxer do you use?

Ladylynn

Hey, I found this on another site. It makes perfect sense in my situation. I had tons of build up when I relaxed. I had been using leave in conditioner and oil on my hair every day up until my relaxer day. I also drink at least two sodas a day and have tea for breakfast (I know, really bad) Duh! I'm sure this had something to do with it. Has this happened to any one else. Tell me what you think.

Why Some Hair Will Not Relax
Basically, this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid-laden foods or drinks such as lemon, lime, orange juice, carbonated soft drinks or is experiencing a nervous condition or in various stages of pregnancy, these and other conditions can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to approximately 3.5. This means that any scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. This, plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower hair shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12 to 13 with sufficient scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Handle This Situation
If you konw the client has this problem, simply schedule for a shampoo two days prior to the relaxing treatment. Shampoo very gently without disturbing the scalp. When the client returns two days later, chances are, hair will relax. Although this treatment will not solve the problem, thre will not be enough build-up of natural body fluids to cause retardation of the relaxer.

Last edited:

sylver2

If that were true I would have always had an afro everytime I relaxed, because I was a bonafide PePsi Addict. I would go through a case of 24 in 3 days. Yes thats 8 cans of Pepsi I drink a day. Starting with first thing in the morinig. My hair always relaxed.
It just may be the relaxer you use. I know when I used Motions and another relaxer it did not relax my hair. I found optimum and creme of nature no lye and they did the trick.

beyondcute

DANG! I didnt think anyone drank more Pepsi than my granny but you got her beat! She coudl drink a 2 lite rin 2 days. I was forever running to the store for her!

Back on topic.....
Ive heard this before and I really believe it. One of my friends SWEARS she has to stop drinking sodas a weke brfore her relaxers or she burs and the relaxer wont take.

Besides relaxers work on a ph schale and if your hair/scalp isnt in the normal ph range it might distub the relaxing process. I totally agree with this thoery.

AnjelLuvs

I also drink a lot of pepsi, but alos noticed that last perm didnt really take and will have to go for a touch up at 8 weeks instead of the usual 10

Ladylynn

I know the soda issue can be a little far fetched, although I will cut back at my next relaxer just to "test" the theory, but what do you think as far as product build-up? Do you think this could retard the relaxer? I know I use a lot of product weekly and don't wash before a relaxer. I'm a weekly washer.

HoneyDew

I think the buildup part is true.

In the past I have had lots of crap on my hair and the relaxer would not work, as well. Now that I use less product, my relaxer effects are much better. Well, I assumed this was the reason.

I am not sure I believe the other part though "acid-laden foods ". I mean there maybe a chance, I guess, but it does not seems likely. What about the lady's that actually use items like ACV to clarify? That has a low PH, right?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I believe that product build up will certainly effect the relaxer's ability to straighten new growth. This is the reason I shampoo my hair at least three days before my relaxer. I don't scrub my scalp but I make sure to clean my new growth. I use a light detangling leave in and bun it up until the night before my relaxer when I pre treat my scalp.

Ladylynn

simplycee said:
I believe that product build up will certainly effect the relaxer's ability to straighten new growth. This is the reason I shampoo my hair at least three days before my relaxer. I don't scrub my scalp but I make sure to clean my new growth. I use a light detangling leave in and bun it up until the night before my relaxer when I pre treat my scalp.

You know, I've never thought much into doing this, but I'm going to start.

baglady215

I think it's possible. I also heard NOT to relax during your monthly cycle. Something about body chemistry during that time, and also you're more likely to burn.

Isis

baglady215 said:
I think it's possible. I also heard NOT to relax during your monthly cycle. Something about body chemistry during that time, and also you're more likely to burn.

There is a thread here about not relaxing during your cycle.:yep:

I do not drink soft drinks, ever. They are extremely acidic (many of us have read about Coke eating through metal, can you imagine what it does to our teeth?!) and when our bodies are acidic is when we are more susceptible to health problems and disease.

The more alkaline our bodies are, the more healthier we are which of course affects our hair's health too. Water has a neutral pH of 7.0. Sylver2 mentioned in another thread recently about drinking water with lemon juice squeezed in it and how this helped her hair. Lemon and lime juice becomes alkaline in the body and raises the pH levels. So I can understand how pH balances affect the way relaxers work on our hair.