Clarifying Shampoos?

Zuppy

I'm a little confused about the claryfing shampoos. I hear folks conditioning or hot oiling then clarifying...I was under the impression that, when your hair was ready for a wash and you felt your hair had build-up, you clarify (a shampoo that would wash all the build-up/gunk out....then do your norm or try new products. So my question is, should you pre-condition or hot-oil your hair before clarifying?

Honi

There is no board.
I clarify only to remove build up. Clarifying after using a hot oil treatment would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? I'm no expert so I'll just wait to see what others have to add.

bimbabe

I was just gonna post about Clarifying Shampoos.
Which ones are your favourites? All the ones I have seen have has SLS and other harsh ingredients.

Victorian

old head
I just did that today (hot-oil then clarify). It was my first time doing the hot oil treatment and I had just bought a clarifying shampoo so I was all excited to do both. I guess that was pretty silly. I was just too excited about my new dryer to think straight

NAY007

in my opinion it doesn't make sense to do a hot oil treatment and then clarify. that's just like putting lotion on your body and then you get in the shower and use a scrub????? that don't make sense right?

i clarify to get all the buildup (oil and gel) out of my hair. then i do a deep conditioning treatment.

NAY007

lol black cardinal,

i didn't even see your post before i posted. that's funny cause that's what i meant:):):)
anyway, my favorite clarifying shampoo is still pantene.

Zuppy

Thanks for replying everyone. You all are saying just what I thought LOL
- It may have been black cardinal's post about hot oiling before clarifying that sparked my question, but I had seen one previously as well where the preson did some treatment prior to clarifying. I've never claryfied before, but when I take my twist out I will, think I'll try the Swimmers phoo - thanks Lunalight! Sherrylove suggested it to me a few months ago.. but I didn't know it was for claryfing. Thanks again!

caress

I was going to post a similar question! I also wanted to know if a clarifying shampoo is really necessary. If I usually use shampoos without detergents, would a shampoo with detergents such as SLS act as a clarifying shampoo or do I need one that is labeled as such?