Can texture change?

Miss*Tress

I've noticed for the past few years that my hair is not as curly as it used to be. Six months after my last touch up, and I have no puffiness at the crown which is the thickest and curliest part of my hair (3c). The rest of my new growth is indistinguishable from the relaxed ends except for a slight wave and the color (relaxing always "strips" my color).

What's up with that? Has anyone else noticed a change in the texture of their hair? If so, what do you think is the cause?

Last edited:
Texture change can occur for many reasons hormonal, child birth, health, diet, medication, chemicals etc. As a child my hair texture was orginally type 3c, over the years my hair became drier, thicker and kinkier type 4. I've found that since taking supplements again and eating a better diet (cause i always had a bad diet) and trying not to depend heavily on my medications my newgrowth is gradually reverting to a softer texture.

Last edited:
I definately have had a texture change, my NG now comes in 3C all these springy coils, they are fun to run your fingers down, but when it comes to combing it is more difficult then when I was 4a, :confused: , I know the vitamins play the biggest part and change in eating and drinking. :)

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I definately have had a texture change, my NG now comes in 3C all these springy coils, they are fun to run your fingers down, but when it comes to combing it is more difficult then when I was 4a, :confused: , I know the vitamins play the biggest part and change in eating and drinking. :)

Same here! I feel like I have a million little spiral curls in my hair and combing them isn't even an option. I know my hair wasn't like this as a child.

den1 said:
Texture change can occur for many reasons hormonal, child birth, health, diet, medication, chemicals etc. As a child my hair texture was orginally type 3c, over the years my hair became drier, thicker and kinkier type 4. I've found that since taking supplements again and eating a better diet (cause i always had a bad diet) and trying not to depend heavily on my medications my newgrowth is gradually reverting to a softer texture.
That's an interesting point. As a child my hair was smoother and thicker but as my diet changed - more fast food, fewer vegetables and all that - my hair thinned out and became less manageable. Now that I'm older and wiser, I make wiser food choices so that may be the cause of the change I'm seeing.

When I eat better I have less PMS and fewer cramps too so food just might be the ultimate medicine.

MissBiss said:
That's an interesting point. As a child my hair was smoother and thicker but as my diet changed - more fast food, fewer vegetables and all that - my hair thinned out and became less manageable. Now that I'm older and wiser, I make wiser food choices so that may be the cause of the change I'm seeing.

When I eat better I have less PMS and fewer cramps too so food just might be the ultimate medicine.
ITA
When I was a child, it used to take my mother a LONG time and a back ache to wash/ comb and plat my hair...tugging, pulling and cursing all the way...
As I got older, again cahge of diet..it's also thinned out and became more mangeable, and even more so with steroid (Prednisone) and inhaled steroid use....so , sure, your texture can change

I believe it can. Over the past 4 months my texture that once was tight enough to loc up on me really easily has loosened in curl pattern. I think this is due to the MSM I take which has been known to loosen the curl or wave pattern in newly grown hair. I would think that diet, medications, and vitamins could have an effect like Brownsugar9999 mentioned. I noticed when I was on a blood thinner (Coumadin/warfarin) for 3 months last year my hair was extremely dry at the roots and harder to manage as more new growth came in.

I believe it can. I asked my mom earlier who is a stylist and she says it can change. Because I said my hair looks and feels different to me now than it did and she was informing that your texture can change.

Back