Can I relax my hair with glycerin in it?

mezzogirl

At about 6 weeks post, my hair starts getting dry and breaking. I put glycerin/aloe vera juice on my new growth and the breaking stopped. My hair has a weird coated feeling but my ng is soft. I just put a glycerin mixture in my hair yesterday morning and want to relax my hair this evening. Will the glycerin hinder the effectiveness of the relaxer?

Last edited:
I would not chance that at all. I know that glycerin attracts moisture from the air, so that would most likely make your NG more moisture which would make your scalp more sweaty which could cause irritation.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sweating at all. The weather is too cold. Do you think the glycerin will stop the relaxer from working?

hmm with the coated feeling and all the glycerin might make it harder for the relaxer to reach your strands but not completely stop the relaxer from working( only slower?)

This is only a theory, id love to hear a scientif proven response! lol

hmm with the coated feeling and all the glycerin might make it harder for the relaxer to reach your strands but not completely stop the relaxer from working( only slower?)

This is only a theory, id love to hear a scientif proven response! lol

Thanks for the response. Does anyone have a scientific response??? I really want to relax tonight. Has anyone relaxed after using sta soft fro, care free curl or home made glycerin solutions?

Hmmm, when I think about doing a relaxer, I don't think about adding something that would attract moisture to my hair but rather I think about protecting the cuticle bonds of my hair by adding proteins to it before applying. Anything you add to a relaxer will slow down it's efficacy at straightening the hair but how much will glycerin affect that, I have no clue. Would it be possible for you to do a patch test and see what happens before doing your whole head? Just a thought.

Hmmm, when I think about doing a relaxer, I don't think about adding something that would attract moisture to my hair but rather I think about protecting the cuticle bonds of my hair by adding proteins to it before applying. Anything you add to a relaxer will slow down it's efficacy at straightening the hair but how much will glycerin affect that, I have no clue. Would it be possible for you to do a patch test and see what happens before doing your whole head? Just a thought.

I guess I could do a patch test. I'm so impatient. If I do a test I'll have to wash and condition my hair and probably won't be able to relax this evening if all turns out well.:sad:

I put glycerin mix in my hair everyday when i was long stretching. It did not affect the relaxing process in any way. Technically glycerin contains no ingredients that should hinder progress. I could not even imagine trying to detangle my hair for the relaxer without some glycerin and silicones

I put glycerin mix in my hair everyday when i was long stretching. It did not affect the relaxing process in any way. Technically glycerin contains no ingredients that should hinder progress. I could not even imagine trying to detangle my hair for the relaxer without some glycerin and silicones

Yes this is true for me too, but do you add the glycerin to the relaxer then apply the mixture to your hair? Or do you just apply to your hair just before the relaxer as a protectant?

ETA: Oh if the answer is yes to the second question, how does your hair come out - is it bone straight or texlaxed kinda?

Last edited:
I use glycerin lots and I don't think it'll hinder the relaxer. It doesn't clog anything, it gets absorbed into the hair and scalp attracting moisture. I know it's thick which leads a person to think it's too dense to allow anything to penetrate. I think the relaxer would override anything it would break down in glycerin. Just my two cents and notice I said "think" a lot.

Yes this is true for me too, but do you add the glycerin to the relaxer then apply the mixture to your hair? Or do you just apply to your hair just before the relaxer as a protectant?

ETA: Oh if the answer is yes to the second question, how does your hair come out - is it bone straight or texlaxed kinda?

I put a glycerin mix on my hair while I detangle before relaxing. Never put glycerin in my relaxer before, to be honest I always use the relaxer straight up.

I have never actually had bone straight hair, even when I was dumb enough to relax for almost an hour, so sorry I can't answer your question. Relaxer does not work for me the same way it does for others. But regardless, my hair processes the same way with or without glycerin

Last edited:
Glycerine is already In most of the products we use every day. And because we don't wash our hair before we relax it, I'm sure it has some glycerine on it anyway, and it relaxes. So I don't think a little more would hurt. I use all kinds of products on my hair, and my hair still gets straight.

I use plenty of products with glycerin in them too and I don't have a problem with my relaxer.

Glycerin is simply a moisturizer and unless someone relaxes their hair after washing and drying hair with no products (naked hair) than you will be relaxing with a moisturizer in your hair. I think most people do it this way.

Thank you ladies. I called a friend of mine that does hair and asked. She said relaxer will break down just about anything. I went ahead and relaxed this evening and my hair came out straight. I'm at the computer now checking the thread. I work on the computer when I'm under my dryer with conditioner or a roller set. Thanks again.

btw, I didn't put glycerin in the relaxer. I put it on my ng the day before to soften it.

Back