• press

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • both are equal

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • not sure

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

Liberianmami26

hey ladies just wanted your opinion of what you think was more dangerous for straightening natural hair.

a blowout the Spanish lady usually puts me under the dryer in rollers then blows out my roots and runs a flat iron thru quickly. it comes out great like i just had a relaxer and i was 3months post the last time i did it,

or is it just better to get a press i also would be flat ironing on my own the same as a blowout minus the rollerset

just wanted your opinion so i can know for future references
tia

my avatar pic is of a blowout on 3 months post relaxer hair im transitioning by the way.

Last edited:
it is never a good idea to use a pressing comb on relaxed hair. you have to be really careful to not touch the relaxed hair. why don't you try flat ironing yoru roots?

oh no im never gonna press now with all the relaxed hair i want to know for when i fully go natural

Last edited:
oh no im never gonna flat iron now with all the relaxed hair i want to know for when i fully go natural

Oooo natural hair. You should make that clear in your OP. I came in the thread thinking natural hair, but than I read all this talk about your relaxed hair and thought ooo I can't vote because I don't know.

If you are talking about a dominican blow out? I would take a press before that.

I pressed my transitioning hair and it broke my ends. i had deep con with protein and eventually had to cut many inches. i'd go with dominican blow out...the flat iron is easier on your delicate hair. just tell them to go a little easy on ya'.

i love my dominican blow outs. I don't do them often, But pressing damaged my hair a lot more.

yeah i meant to say i would neva press my hair while it is still relaxed but wanted to know for 100% natural hair if a dominican blowout was safer than a press or vice versa

I think it depends on whose doing it. I've had many presses that resulted in almost no damage at all, just silky, lovely hair. If a person can press really well you won't get hardly any damage but sometimes that is hard to find. I think blowdryers are more damaging but I can't press at all so that is my only alternative, as a natural if I tried to press my hair it would have been burnt up.

Every tiem I hear someone come back with from their Dominican blow out they are always talkign about the heat..so much heat..but my hair is silky. A press is dangerous too, but you can skip the blow dryer step use great heat protectant and maybe you get away un harmed.

I would try hard to find someone who uses great heat protectant or allows you to bring your own stash and uses a ceramic flat iron. I got my hair pressed once. I think that is going to be last one for a while....ceramic flat iron done by TML will be what I do from now on.

I'd say a press is more harmful. The comb (or whatever tool you use) can get too hot and your hair will burn right off. Plus you have to run the comb through your hair many times. With the blowout, your still dealing with it, but, IMO, the heat isn't that intense unless you do it too much.

thanx and my hair would be in a bun most of the time i hate wearing my hair down but if i wanted to get a trim just wondering if i should just keep going to the dominicans for the blowout or get a press i would have to find someone who knows how to. i mean the blowout was hot a i screeched a couple times but when i was younger nd pressed i was paranoid bout scalp burn still am a lil nd the blowout gets my roots straight so i like that guess im just a confused newbie.

I say the press is worse. Most presses begin with a blowdry by the way. Also, ppl complain about the heat of the dryers (when getting a Dominican blowout) but thats because there's no way to blowdry without at some point hitting the scalp and yes the air is hot. But that air will never be as hot as a pressing comb. I've seen hair singed by a too hot pressing comb--I've never, however, seen hair singed by hot air.
ETA: Not to say U can't press without any damage, but based on the risk of damage I'd get a blowout or blowdry then flat iron.

Last edited:
I would say a press is more harmful but it all depends on your hair and what products and heat tools you use. In order to straighten my natural hair, I have to blow it out first with a ceramic blowdryer and then flat-iron with a Chi iron. I haven't gotten any heat damage from using these tools.

I always hear about dominicans doing a blow out and then going over it with a flatiron. That to me is a BIG NO NO:nono:

I go to the dominicans and the rollerset with the blow out should be enough. You should not need an extra step. I also let them blow out my hair and stop a couple of inches from my ends.

ETA: I'm natural

Back