Back to blowdrying...rollersetting is not working out i guess

sheedahp

Decided to go back to blowdrying...everytime i rollerset i get short broken hairs on the floor when i comb my hair afterwards. I doesnt matter what i wash or condition with it happens everytime so im going back to blowdrying for a while. Before LHCF i used to blow dry evertime i washed and used heat and had no problems so i guess i will give a try again. I just had to have about 2 inches of thin ends cut and ive been rollersetting over a year so maybe thats the reason. IDK what else to do at this point.:sad:

maybe your roller setting lotion had too much hold? alcohol in it? protein?

have you ever rollerset with a very thin oil & a silky wrap lotion???

for me setting lotions were a no no

Totally! Setting lotion leaves me with crunchy ends.

I had to give up rollersetting also for the same reason. I blowdry weekly with warm/cool air and my ends are great.

I say go for it. Do what you think is best for your hair. I alternate between blowdrying/airdrying/flatironing each week...
I don't mean to jack, but when you ladies blowdry do you get a little breakage? I'm guessing it's the detangling and combing through each section as I blowdry that causes it. Quite annoying.

do you have fine hair? I had to do the same because my hair breaks any time I wear it curly or rollerset. Blow drying has always worked for me.

Rollersetting is a don't for me- for the same reason as you op- broken pieces every where.

Do what works for you. I airdry now and occasionally flat iron.

I say go for it. Do what you think is best for your hair. I alternate between blowdrying/airdrying/flatironing each week...
I don't mean to jack, but when you ladies blowdry do you get a little breakage? I'm guessing it's the detangling and combing through each section as I blowdry that causes it. Quite annoying.

I get slight breakage but not those little pieces from the ends.

Ive used lottabody, Lacia Lacia, Salerm 21, Silk Elements foam styling lotion, it doesnt matter what I use it happens every time, but Ive noticed whenever I put my dry hair in rollers the ends break, so I guess rollers are no good for my hair.:nono:

do you have fine hair? I had to do the same because my hair breaks any time I wear it curly or rollerset. Blow drying has always worked for me.

No my hair is course, it just doesnt seem to like curls, never could hold curls Im realizing that now.

I used to have alot of breakage from my blow dryer when I did blow dry but I notice if I use low heat and minimize the combing while its drying then I dont have that problem and also I use a serum like Keracare silken seal or my favorite Proclaim olive oil glossing polish then I have better results. I usually part my hair in small sections, hold my ends while i run the dryer up and down without using the comb then I apply the serum and use the comb at that time. HTH!

Decided to go back to blowdrying...everytime i rollerset i get short broken hairs on the floor when i comb my hair afterwards. I doesnt matter what i wash or condition with it happens everytime so im going back to blowdrying for a while. Before LHCF i used to blow dry evertime i washed and used heat and had no problems so i guess i will give a try again. I just had to have about 2 inches of thin ends cut and ive been rollersetting over a year so maybe thats the reason. IDK what else to do at this point.:sad:

I used to get broken pieces from roller-sets until I figured out the reasons why.

- Hair was not moisturized enough. And none of my leave-ins were moisturizing.

Although I love Lacio - Lacio but it's not a moisturizing leave-in. It is more protein base and it gives shine but not moisture.

I switched to NTM Silk Touch Leave In cream which is a moisturizing leave-in. Seal with a dime size of Coconut Oil.

- Do not dry your hair with a towel, keep it soaking wet. Cover half the section of your hair with a plastic cap until it's time to roll that section. The plastic cap will keep the moisture and water in your hair.

- Keep your rollers in a bowl filled with water. This helps the hair cling to the roller much better.

- Make sure hair is fully wet and smooth before you place your hair around the roller.

- Make sure your hair is fully dry before you remove the rollers.

Also, sometimes the hooded dryer can be too hot which causes the hair and scalp to dry out that leads to breakage.

I rotate the temperature on my dryer every 15 min. until my hair has dried.

If you decide to try roller-setting again I hope you have better luck! But always do what's best for your hair.

This time I used NTM full line including the leave in this time, maybe my hair is not wet enough when I place them on the rollers, it takes me almost an hour to set my hair, next time I will adjust the heat to see if that helps but that would mean I will be sitting under the dryer longer:sad:

I came in here to suggest air drying, however I see that it's already been suggested. OP, when you tried air drying did you use the scarf method?

I was an avid roller setter but I began to get breakage in the area where the rollers formed a mohawk. Even though I changed roller positions my hair in this area was too fragile for the amount of tension and constant indirect heat roller setting calls for.

I used to get broken pieces from roller-sets until I figured out the reasons why.

- Hair was not moisturized enough. And none of my leave-ins were moisturizing.

Although I love Lacio - Lacio but it's not a moisturizing leave-in. It is more protein base and it gives shine but not moisture. I rollerset weekly and normally use NTM Silk Touch too, but I just ordered Lacio Lacio. I'm wondering if I can mix these two leave-ins together. Have you ever tried that?

I switched to NTM Silk Touch Leave In cream which is a moisturizing leave-in. Seal with a dime size of Coconut Oil.

- Do not dry your hair with a towel, keep it soaking wet. Cover half the section of your hair with a plastic cap until it's time to roll that section. The plastic cap will keep the moisture and water in your hair. I'm going to give this a try. The plastic cap is a good idea bc sometimes when I get to the other side of my head, it's dry already.

- Keep your rollers in a bowl filled with water. This helps the hair cling to the roller much better. Great idea! I spray each roller with cold water before I put them in my hair.

- Make sure hair is fully wet and smooth before you place your hair around the roller.

- Make sure your hair is fully dry before you remove the rollers.

Also, sometimes the hooded dryer can be too hot which causes the hair and scalp to dry out that leads to breakage.

I rotate the temperature on my dryer every 15 min. until my hair has dried.

If you decide to try roller-setting again I hope you have better luck! But always do what's best for your hair.

My comments aer in red. Girl,these tips are great. These should be posted in the rollersetting challenge!

make sure not to roll your hair too tight. when your hair is wet it stretches more but once it dries your hair will snap since there is not enough give.

Thanks for the tips ladies...I will give rollersetting one more try using these tips....I will keep you posted...my next wash is in a week so I will let you guys know. Thanks!!!!!!!!

My comments aer in red. Girl,these tips are great. These should be posted in the rollersetting challenge!

I haven't tried the mixture of Lacio-Lacio and NTM leave in.

Since I use Aphoghee Pro-vitamin leave-in and NTM there is really no need for me to include Lacio-Lacio.

The Pro-vitamin leave-in gives me the shine and bounce that Lacio used to give me excluding the moisture.

Pay attention to the ingredients in your products (Lacio-Lacio) and determine if your hair needs it. If yes, then using Lacio-Lacio and NTM may work for you!

HTH.

Back