Awkward twa/afro phase

tdillz

Hi everyone! I am currently less than 2 weeks from my 4 month nappiversary!im super excited about the growth I'm experiencing but it's getting to the point where the wash and goes look different and I need to start learning how to style my hair but I can't braid and my two strand twist never come out good! Now my question is should I wear a wig or weave to get through the awkward stage of growing my hair out or jus stick it out for the learning experiences. What was ur experience? I need help!!!

BostonMaria

Oh the awkward stage.. whyGod, why? LOL
I was in an "awkward" stage after my BC for about 2 years. I didn't wear weaves or wigs. Just kinda dealt with it. As it grew it got easier to manage because a ponytail pretty much solves everythang.

lucy

Hi everyone! I am currently less than 2 weeks from my 4 month nappiversary!im super excited about the growth I'm experiencing but it's getting to the point where the wash and goes look different and I need to start learning how to style my hair but I can't braid and my two strand twist never come out good! Now my question is should I wear a wig or weave to get through the awkward stage of growing my hair out or jus stick it out for the learning experiences. What was ur experience? I need help!!!

Funny, I am at 6 months right now and was just contemplating posting a thread about how happy I am. I think you can definitely learn everyday and should stick it out for that reason. A wig is removable, and you can still do maintenance daily... so thats okay, but I dont think Id be having the love affair with my hair that Im having right now, if I went that route. I am actually about to take a "braided break" though, and install micros for about 2 months... so I feel where you are at. I think breaks do help, as far as when you feel overwhelmed with your options. But I also know Im gonna miss my hair alot... :(

I pretty much wear a twist out everyday, because my wash and go's became awkward as well. I moisturize, seal, and two strand twist at night, and unravel every morning. It is tedious, because my hair isnt long enough to do fewer twists, and is time consuming. Otherwise, the style is what it is, and Ive been getting alot of complements. :)

CurlsBazillion

I am still in an awkward stage. I won't be out of it until BSL because I just don't look good with short hair. So because of that I do wear wigs and it hasn't hindered my love affair with my hair. I don't get sew ins because I end up missing my hair and not having access to it. I get the full experience just not the styling issues.

lucy

I am still in an awkward stage. I won't be out of it until BSL because I just don't look good with short hair. So because of that I do wear wigs and it hasn't hindered my love affair with my hair. I don't get sew ins because I end up missing my hair and not having access to it. I get the full experience just not the styling issues.

Im soo mad that your posting this, if thats your hair in your siggy. If I was the OP, Id throw you out of my thread, with security and all. :lachen:

CurlsBazillion

Im soo mad that your posting this, if thats your hair in your siggy. If I was the OP, Id throw you out of my thread, with security and all. :lachen:

:lachen:OMG, don't kick me out!! I was being so serious!! I love my hair just not out all the time. For me its too short.

tdillz

DayDreamist said:

Yes seciruty!!!!

Danewshe

When I was in that awkward phase, I fought with my hair on a daily basis, and that caused a load of damaged, dry ends. If I could do it all again, I would just protective stlye my hair until I was at a length I felt comfortable with.

Last edited:

Tyra

I wore wigs (which I hated) and I also wore some yarn braids through much of my awkward phase. Oh, and I took that time to perfect my twist-out method.
Umm, that's all I got.
I did that until my hair was long enough to pin up in the back.
Hair styling is not my strong suit. Even though my hair is apl now I still feel pretty awkward. lol.:look:

Don't underestimate Google and YouTube. I pretty much look up style pics, ideas and tutorials from ladies with my hair length.:yep:

sweetlaughter

I had micros for about 5 months (long break between two sessions) when I was at that awkward length. I didn't BC but my transitioned hair had chewed up relaxed ends. It helped me get to SL without obsessing.

manter26

OT: shesheshe22 I'm mad I actually thought Ices was at the gym for a second. :( You'd think all the dancing would have done her some good all this time.

As for the OP...I regret not wearing my TWA out more often. I was in braids mostly and some twists or extensions. I feel that I missed that part of my journey. I would never, ever eva relax again...but I would definitely BC again just to do it over. A TWA or locs are the only other hair options I would consider.

Don't take that short hair for granted. Wear it out and proud. Tumblr makes me so jealous of all the TWA's out there.

My Friend

I looked good with my TWA :yep: I wish I had played with color more in my TWA days. I would rock all the colors Willow S. does.

Qtee

I wore wigs for the first year so I skipped right over the awkward stage....it worked for me and kept me from going back to the relaxer..then when I could pull it back in a panty hose puff..I was good to go..

KurlyNinja

The awkward stage was HORRIBLE. So glad I'm out of that horrible horrible stage. But I wore my hair through it all. I promised myself that I would work with my hair through it all. I did alot of puffs for a while too. Puffs were my savior from relaxing or at least flat ironing all the time. Im at the end of my awkward phase now and I can usually do stretched styles that look really nice. Just work through it. You'll be happy you did. Its great experiencing all lengths of your hair and you get to figure out what your hair does and doesn't like and what it's capable of doing.

tdillz

I appreciate all the feedback you guys!!!!! I'm trying my hardest not to miss this part of my journey just in case I have a setback... So I know what to do with it. I'm just realizing that this stage is harder than what I thought